9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 4:52 PM by richardplondon

Color space for online photos?

southwestform Level 1

I shoot all of my photos in the Adobe RGB color space on my cameras. Should I be converting these photos to sRGB before uploading them to Facebook, emailing them to people, etc.?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Color space for online photos?
          Oirada Level 1

Yes, sRGB is best for web.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Color space for online photos?
            Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Yes, always use sRGB.

I assume you are exporting these files from Lightroom, so choose sRGB under Color space in the export dialog.

If you're shooting raw files, the color space setting on the camera has no effect, since raw files don't have a color profile.

This setting only affects jpgs.

• 3. Re: Color space for online photos?
              southwestform Level 1

I am shooting RAW. So are you saying that since I shoot RAW it makes no difference if I export sRGB for photos for the web or if I leave it at the default setting?

I am also using a 2015 5K iMac. Does anyone know if this iMac can accurately display the Adobe RGB color space or if I need to look into a dedicated display for this?

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Color space for online photos?
                F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

southwestform schrieb:

I am shooting RAW. So are you saying that since I shoot RAW it makes no difference if I export sRGB for photos for the web or if I leave it at the default setting?

The setting on the camera does not matter if you shoot RAW.

• 5. Re: Color space for online photos?
                  richardplondon Level 4

• 6. Re: Color space for online photos?
                    southwestform Level 1

"Whether you choose sRGB or something else when Exporting from Lightroom, is an entirely separate matter."

1. For clarification, working within LR if shot as RAW, it makes no difference which color space was selected when the photo was taken, however, it does make a difference when exporting as a .jpg, .tiff or .psd?

2. If so, should I select sRGB for web and video delivery? Should I select Adobe RGB depending on the printer, only if the printer supports it?

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Color space for online photos?
                      Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional
                      1. For clarification, working within LR if shot as RAW, it makes no difference which color space was selected when the photo was taken, however, it does make a difference when exporting as a .jpg, .tiff or .psd?

Raw files are greyscale files that contain color information.

When you import a raw file, LR reads the color information, and creates a preview of the rendered file.

You are not seeing the actual raw file, but a preview of what it will look like when you export it.

So the color profile you set in the camera has absolutely no effect on the raw file.

The only camera settings that affect raw files are exposure, ISO setting and white balance.

The color space you choose on export does make a difference, in fact you can't export an image without embedding a profile, which is a good thing.

2. If so, should I select sRGB for web and video delivery? Should I select Adobe RGB depending on the printer, only if the printer supports it?

I don't do video, but always use sRGB for web images.

You will probably be fine using sRGB for all your exports, most printing services want files in sRGB.

If they accept Adobe RGB, send them files in Adobe RGB.

• 8. Re: Color space for online photos?
                        thedigitaldog MVP & Adobe Community Professional

southwestform wrote:

I shoot all of my photos in the Adobe RGB color space on my cameras. Should I be converting these photos to sRGB before uploading them to Facebook, emailing them to people, etc.?

Thanks.

As other's have suggested, yes. But keep in mind that using sRGB per se in no way guarantees what you see and what other's see will look the same, even close! So sRGB alone isn't the answer, the answer is ensuring at the very least, everyone viewing your images is doing so in an ICC aware browser. Some are not. Some are not calibrating their displays. Some are calibrating them differently. And outside an ICC aware browser, the calibration and the fact the data is in sRGB is kind of moot; these products do not know what sRGB really is! If you're working on a wide gamut display outside such ICC aware app's will show sRGB looking pretty awful!

How to check your browser and see why sRGB alone isn't a solution:

sRGB urban legend & myths Part 2

In this 17 minute video, I'll discuss some more sRGB misinformation and cover:

When to use sRGB and what to expect on the web and mobile devices

How sRGB doesn't insure a visual match without color management, how to check

The downsides of an all sRGB workflow

sRGB's color gamut vs. "professional" output devices

The future of sRGB and wide gamut display technology

Photo print labs that demand sRGB for output

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4

Low resolution on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvVUL1gWVs

• 9. Re: Color space for online photos?
                          richardplondon Level 4

southwestform wrote:

"Whether you choose sRGB or something else when Exporting from Lightroom, is an entirely separate matter."

You should select a colourspace to suit your particular purpose for this particular export, and a bit depth, and a file type.

In the case of images for web usage, realistically speaking the only recommendation IMO is JPG, in sRGB, resized to pixel dimensions according to the largest PIXEL size at which it will need to be viewed on screen - number of pixels wide and high - pixels-per-inch is ignored for this purpose. I would advise some output sharpening (I use "low", "screen") to compensate for the resizing.

In the case of sending an image specifically for editing in e.g. Photoshop, one would generally not Export, but rather use the "Edit in..." function. That can be configured for either PSD or TIFF, 8- or 16-bit, and different colourspaces. The needs of your editing will govern this. The image is automatically returned to LR showing your external changes, when you save from PS. Another editor program can be set up to be used in the same way.

In the case of Exporting for some other purpose, that purpose should drive your selections in the Export dialog.

The idea is that your LR imported image acts as a "master", from which different specifications of export (or print, or slideshow) may happen at different times. It is itself output neutral. So it doesn't really make sense to think of this "master" image itself as having one particular colourspace, or pixels-per-inch, etc more than another.

For web images, yes. (I have less understanding of video, than a fish has of 'Tuesday')

If sending a file to a printing service, take the company's advice on what will give the best results. Often it turns out they really just want sRGB, unless high-end.

If outputting direct to your own print hardware, your "master" image can in effect talk directly to the print driver. That can be left to its own devices (pun not intended) or else if you have a suitable calibration profile for the printer and paper you are using, you can involve that. But this aspect will not involve either sRGB or AdobeRGB. Those are general-purpose; for direct printing you want hardware specific.

Thanks!

Welcome..!