10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 8:30 PM by pixlor

Fireworks CS3: can't center the table

mia_sc
      I needed to add a pop-up menu to a webpage, and exported the HTML from Photoshop CS3. I opened that page (index.html) in Fireworks, and applied the pop-up menu design I wanted. Hit "update HTML" and was given an error message that there was no Fireworks table in my HTML file. Continue >> yes. So now there is the original table (1000 pixels wide) with no pop-up menu, and underneath that, the Fireworks table.

The thing is, I cannot CENTER the Fireworks table in the middle of the webpage.

It's extremely annoying and I've lots tons of productive time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks so very much!
        • 1. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
          Level 7
          mia_sc wrote:
          > I needed to add a pop-up menu to a webpage, and exported the HTML from
          > Photoshop CS3. I opened that page (index.html) in Fireworks, and applied the
          > pop-up menu design I wanted. Hit "update HTML" and was given an error message
          > that there was no Fireworks table in my HTML file.

That's because you need to do your slicing and exporting from Fireworks
          for Fireworks to recognize the table as one of its own. The best
          solution, however, it to export images only from either Photoshop or
          Fireworks, and do the HTML markup in Dreamweaver. You'll save yourself a
          lot of grief by learning to do your HTML in Dreamweaver rather than
          relying on a graphics program to do it for you.

--
          Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
            mia_sc Level 1
            I'm sorry, but this is not a helpful answer. All I wanted to do is add a pop--up menu, which is the only reason I would use Fireworks. I've designed dozens of websites in Photoshop, previously with ImageReady, and never experienced a glitch. Dreamweavers pop-ups are hideous.

I did manage a similar export years ago with a Macromedia version of Fireworks, having designed the site in Photoshop and adding a pop-up menu in Fireworks. If Fireworks is supposed to WORK, it should still work under Adobe.

I hope someone else has the real answer.
            • 3. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
              JoeDaSilva Level 4
              Linda's answer is the correct one, and you're a hack of a web designer if ever there was one. I'd suggest you hire someone that knows what they're doing.
              • 4. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
                Level 7
                mia_sc wrote:
                > I'm sorry, but this is not a helpful answer. All I wanted to do is add a
                > pop--up menu, which is the only reason I would use Fireworks.

What's the problem with slicing and exporting your document in
                Fireworks? Wouldn't you have done that in Image Ready?

--
                • 5. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
                  mia_sc Level 1
                  I've already once successfully sliced and exported from Photoshop CS3, a couple of days ago, and Fireworks behaved perfectly then. I'm perfectly comfortable in Photoshop and Dreamweaver, but DW's pop-ups are unattractive, and I already had worked previously with successful implementation of Fireworks doing the pop-ups. (Gee, Mr. DaSilva, does that really make me a hack? That I worked with these programs easily before, and returned to them because of that ease? How unnecessarily hostile of you.)

On the second iteration of the process, Fireworks suddenly changes course and delivers to me an index.png and a table that will not allow itself to be centered, and that is irksome.

The reason I didn't use Fireworks for slicing is because I'd designed it all in Photoshop, and there are hundreds of slices. Not expecting the worst, I combined my slices and exported the HTML as I'd done before. Easy-peasy. I don't particularly care to recreate that process again, which I think is understandable. If you could see the number and size of the slices, you might be more forgiving.

So Fireworks fails me on the second go-round and that's supposed to be my fault somehow?

No, it did it correctly before. I'm seeking an answer to solve the present problem. I'm not seeking someone to chide me. Mr. DaSilva. I've been doing web designs—beautiful and useful ones—for fifteen years. I don't like doing pop-up menus, but this one is a necessity. I'm just trying to recreate a WORKING environment within Fireworks, and am wondering why Adobe's products don't work together.
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
                    Level 7
                    mia_sc wrote:

> The reason I didn't use Fireworks for slicing is because I'd designed it all
                    > in Photoshop, and there are hundreds of slices. Not expecting the worst, I
                    > combined my slices and exported the HTML as I'd done before. Easy-peasy. I
                    > don't particularly care to recreate that process again, which I think is
                    > understandable. If you could see the number and size of the slices, you might
                    > be more forgiving.

Can you upload the document to your site so we can have a look at it?
                    There may be another way of slicing it.

--
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
                      JoeDaSilva Level 4
                      I apologize mia_sc for being hostile, and I mean that - I actually felt genuine regret all afternoon for leaving such a post. You must understand that I'm a long time advocate of Fireworks, and you're a prime example of the issues related to the software itself, and I should know better than to chide innocent users by now.

I took issue with your response to Linda because it was akin to dismissing Einstein's advice on atomic bombs. Fireworks writes horrible HTML code. Don't use it.

If you've been making beautiful websites for 15 years then you owe it to the very internet itself to learn how to code a site properly.
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
                        mia_sc Level 1
                        The PS file is nearly 5MB...I could compress it and email it via YouSendIt, if that works. How would you otherwise suggest posting it? I don't want the whole world to see/bag my design, understandably.

Mr. DaSilva, thanks for the apology. It is good to remember not to attack a person who is truly innocent, and not necessarily naïve. My problem was that this process worked before, on multiple occasions, including earlier this week, so why do I get the bug NOW?

Thanks, everybody.
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
                          mia_sc Level 1
                          What I really wonder is what is the best way to add an attractive (I have to customize) pop-up menu to a slice? If I could avoid Fireworks to do so, I'd gladly do that. The online tutorials to use Dreamweaver's Spry function looked horrid.

Thanks, gang!
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks CS3: can't center the table
                            pixlor Level 4
                            quote:

Originally posted by: mia_sc
                            What I really wonder is what is the best way to add an attractive (I have to customize) pop-up menu to a slice? If I could avoid Fireworks to do so, I'd gladly do that. The online tutorials to use Dreamweaver's Spry function looked horrid.

Thanks, gang!

Buy a professional menu. They look great, they work well, and they save you time and headache.

I looked some up once before, so I'll just link you to the earlier thread.