4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 1:12 PM by medphysiks

sharpening artifacts?

medphysiks Level 1

I've noticed this on my D7200, and to some extent on my D750. Some pictures with fine lines, particularly diagonal lines, like fine feathers on a bird will not be straight. Instead, the will show "jaggies."

My typical sharpening settings are:

Amount: 50

Radius: 1.0

Details: 40

Masking: variable

Am I just overdoing it, or is something else at play? I've found that I can pretty much eliminate the jaggies by lowering sharpness a little, lowering detail or increasing radius (which seems weird), but lowering radius below 1.0 actually makes jagged edges worse. Keep in mind, even with my original settings above, the image does not look oversharpened, it's only the few areas with fine, diagonal lines.

Also, it appears LR is causing this issue.  If I switch to one of the older processing methods, the issue is practically gone.  Notice the jaggies in the first picture below?  The "US Navy" is jagged, as is the yellow on the wingtip.  That is with the 2012 process.  The second version is with it set to 2003.

EMT_2786.jpg

EMT_2786-2.jpg

• 1. Re: sharpening artifacts?
          dj_paige Level 9

Can you show us the problem areas zoomed 1:1? Thanks!

You say:

I've found that I can pretty much eliminate the jaggies by lowering sharpness a little, lowering detail or increasing radius (which seems weird)

Isn't that the answer to your question?

• 2. Re: sharpening artifacts?
            medphysiks Level 1

Those photos above are 100% crops.  Increasing the radius to 3 doesn't seem correct, as everything I've read suggest using 1.0 or lower.  I guess I will have to open these in Nikon's software and see if there issue is there as well.  I didn't think 50 sharpening was overdoing it, but maybe it is.  Seems like a LR problem to me.

• 3. Re: sharpening artifacts?
              Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried setting masking to a higher value?

Using 50 for amount should be OK, and the image is definitely not oversharpened, but there seems to a little motion blur.

• 4. Re: sharpening artifacts?
                medphysiks Level 1

Masking seems to help, but not much since those sharp edges are the last thing to get masked out.  That's the weird thing, the overall image doesn't look too sharp at 50 or more, it's just these fine, diagonal lines.  I just noticed it last night on a closeup of a bird's feathers.  Backing sharpness down to 40, and lowering detail helps, so I guess that is the "fix" for now, but it's got me puzzled.