9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2016 3:29 PM by Roei Tzoref

Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.

danjfrancis

I looked for an answer to this question, but couldn't find anything, so...

Ever since the 2015.3 upgrade, any time I click to turn on or off an option in the check boxes for things like 3d, motion blur, lock layer, frame blending, as well as other simple actions, rather than just turning the option on or off, the whole layer drops down displaying the transform, effect, and audio data.  This happened with one other release, but Adobe was quick to fix it so it didn't drive me to the point of insanity.  This time however, they seem unaware of it, or don't care and are just classifying it as "to help you with workflow" which it KILLS my workflow, not helps it at all...

My question is, does anyone know how to fix this, or if Adobe is working on a fix?  Today is the day it pushed me over the top when I have a comp with 40+ layers and I need to turn on and off motion blur as I preview... I hate Apple Motion, but if there is no fix, and before I go ballistic wanting to punch After Effects through the wall, that is my option if no one can help me.

Please help.  I hate workflow disruptions.

Thanks!

Dan

• 1. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

My question is, does anyone know how to fix this, or if Adobe is working on a fix?

our top guys are on it. I believe you are experiencing this bug in the current version. guess we have to be patient for the next bug fix:

Re: new in After Effects 13.8.1 - Shape layers with audio!

if it's that bad, you can in the meantime use CC2015 aka 2015.2

• 2. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is your OS and version of AE down to the last decimal point? There are a few glitches with 13.8.1.38 Mac on shape layers but I have not noticed anything as frustrating as what you are describing. I'm always using the u and uu keys when editing. I'm always deselecting all layers Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + a or by clicking on any column in the timeline except the layer name, and then hitting any of the shortcut keys, mostly the U key, to close up a bunch of layers that I have open. Been doing this for years so the occasional extra lines in the timeline don't seem to effect me very much. Another hint - try assigning colors for layer groups, especially if the layers in the groups are not stacked on top of each other. This is a very easy way to select all layers that have been assigned the same color. I do it any time I have more than 5 or 6 layers.

As for turning on and off motion blur for previews, and I hardly ever switch back and forth because I don't work with full rez full frame previews except for a few critical frames right at the end of my work on a comp, if I ever have to do that I'll just use the switch in the timeline.

• 3. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.
              danjfrancis Level 1

Perhaps you misunderstood my question.

When layers are like this:

Example 1.png

And you click on a check box option like this:

Example 2.png

Instead of just turning on the option, it does this:

Example 3.png

Causing the user to disrupt work flow and re-collapse the layers down.  To some this may be no big deal, but when you have a work flow of 15+ years with a product, the extra step gets missed and is a pain.  There are some layers I leave dropped while working with them, so collapse all isn't an viable option.

It does it for any and all layers.

I am on Windows 10 Anniversary, and was on Windows 10 prior.  I have a Mac, but don't use it as I find Windows 10 a much better platform for my needs and practices.

AE 13.8.1.38

• 4. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.
                danjfrancis Level 1

Windows 10 Anniversary and WIndows 10

AE 13.8.1.38

Example:

Example 1.png

You then go to click on a checkbox option:

Example 2.png

This happens instead of just turning on the option:

Example 3.png

Hope this helps make it more clear what I am asking.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.
                  danjfrancis Level 1

Thanks for your help, but I'm not sure we are discussing the same issue.  I added screen shots to my reply to make it more clear what I mean.

Blessings!

Dan

• 6. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.

Thanks for your help, but I'm not sure we are discussing the same issue.

it appears to be the same problem. your layers have audio when clearly they don't need to have audio. Text, Shapes and the twirl down problem. read through Tim Kurkoski response in the link I gave you:Re: new in After Effects 13.8.1 - Shape layers with audio!

The bug happens when you are working in a comp that has been pre-composed and that comp contains a layer with audio, when you add a new layer to this comp (any type of layer except cameras or lights), if that layer shouldn't have audio it will gain audio properties anyway. When you click a layer switch (such as solo, lock, motion blur, etc.) these layers with superfluous audio properties will automatically twirl open their properties.

see the workaround suggested and if this is a big issue for you, like I wrote before - work in 2015.2 until it get fixed

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.
                      danjfrancis Level 1

Thanks Roei,

I misunderstood the link you gave me the first time my coworker and I were looking at it together trying to make heads or tails of it.  It does make more sense now after rereading it, and your emphasis.

I'm not one to downgrade to previous versions, so in the meantime I will deal with it, or use another software package that meets my needs.

I discovered this issue the first day, but because the 2014 CC had a similar issue for a couple weeks that was fixed ASAP, I didn't want to waste anyone's time asking about it.

Thanks again for the help in getting me to understanding the "why" behind this.

Blessings!

Dan

• 8. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.
                        Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

danjfrancis wrote:

Perhaps you misunderstood my question.

Didn't misunderstand your question - noted the glitches on shape layers but didn't mention the 3D switch bug with other layers. Suggested that when that happens that you just press the u key or the a key or any key and close up the properties. It can be a little annoying but one keystroke fixes the problem and I'm ready to move on.

Sorry I was not clear enough. The other suggestions were for you and anyone else trying to learn how to better organize their comps.

• 9. Re: Layers dropping down when clicking 3d box, motion blur, etc.

Sure thing Dan   glad to help. a few ideas:

I'm not one to downgrade to previous versions, so in the meantime I will deal with it, or use another software package that meets my needs.

note that you don't have to remove your current 2015.3. you can download alongside 2015.2 and use both. I have all the versions from CS6 working alternatively for my different needs. don't despair - I believe this issue is a top priority bug and hopefully we will get a bug fix pretty soon.

1 person found this helpful