11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2016 5:56 PM by Krjo

Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens

Krjo

Héy

Until Lightroom version 5.7  lights-out worked perfect en logical. After changing to Lightroom CC 2015.6.1 there seems to be a problem. No hardware changes and the Windows 7 OS is exact the same configuration. In the figure below you see 2 screens. On the Left is my "main" and on the right is my "second" screen after pressing one's on the "L" key.

Figure 1.jpg

As you can see, the left screen -- the "main" -- is dimmed and the photo on the right screen stay's on. I would like to have the photo on the left screen, -- again "main" screen -- visible instead of the photo on the second screen. At the time I took the screenshot i was in the development module and the second screen was set on "survey".

Sometimes, and I can not say when and how this happens, i see another result after pressing the "L" key. Just during the same work session and maybe after selecting multiple photo and if i try long enough, changes the behavior to what you can see in de next figure.

Figure 2.jpg

The left screen -- the "main" -- is dimmed but the photo is visible and the right screen is partially dimmed. Still in the development module and the second screen also in the same "survey" mode. What you can see on the left screen is wat i like to have but the right screen seems to have a problem. Normally this would be dimmed completely. As already mentioned, with LR 5.7 there was no problem.

Questions:

• Beside the strange behavior, is there a way to keep the photo on the left screen – “main” – visible during lights-out instead of the photo on the second
        screen ?
      • Why does have Ligthroom CC 2015.6.1  this strange behavior and Lightroom 5.7 not ?
      • And what should be done to get a normal, reliable en logical lights-out behavior ?

Kind Regards

Kris

• 1. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
          Krjo Level 1

Héy Adobe support or anyone who can answer my question.

About : my post https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2212180

I had two chats with adobe. The first they told that one would examine the behavior. The second they ask my to update the videocard drives. I always have confirmed that the video driver was up to date. I have checked this for the third time. And, ofcourse, it's still up to date !

Now, Please read my post again. There are 3 questions.

The first question is the most important for me. After pressing "L" I would like to see the following : (zie the pictures in my post) The left screen -- the "main, so screen number 1" -- dimmed but the photo visible and the right screen " the second, so screen number 2" complete dimmed.

Sometimes during the same work session it works correct. Usually, however, it is the opposite. I can not say when and how this happens. It happens perhaps after some switching between survey en loop mode. This behaivior of lights-out is strange, very strange ! I don't think its the videocard driver. A driver does't change its behaivior.

For my it's a bug. !

@abobe : Please. analyze this problem deeper. As you told me on the first chat. Don't give me the standard anwser of videodrivers. For me it is a bug that annoys me very very much.

@forum members; Do you see the perfect behaiver of lights-out or do you have also some problems.

Kind regards

Kris

• 2. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
            bhousto90 Level 3

Expected behaviour of "Lights out" is that on 1st press each monitor will have any non-image preview area change to the Dim %/Colour settings as set in preferences. On 2nd press the Lights out colour choice will be at 100% opacity.

If the 2nd monitor option is 'off' in LR then the entire 2nd display will be dimmed/solid colour while in 'Lights out' mode.

(I do not believe it is possible to have "Lights Out" effect ignore the secondary monitor if it is unused/off in Lightroom - at least on a Windows PC)

Things you can check:

- Does the Performance option for Graphics Processor on/off change anything?

- Update Lightroom to the current version 6.7

- Check to see if there is a monitor profile problem with the 2nd Monitor (set it to sRGB in Windows Colour Management)

- Try another video driver (i.e. down-grade it to an earlier version, it is not always about being at newest/current)

• 3. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I run a 2 monitor system with Win 7 Pro and I am seeing the exact same thing as you. I think this is to be expected behavior.

With only one monitor in use, my main monitor and that has the LR program displayed on it. If I press the L key for Lights Out all other parts of the LR program screen goes dim and my second monitor is also dimmed. Second press of the L key second monitor goes black and everything on the first monitor, except the image, goes black.

It is my understanding that the L O feature is for Viewing so it seems reasonable that everything other than the image would go black.

I have no idea how it was in previous versions but I would think it is the same.

• 4. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens

So you are saying the Main screen goes completely back even the image area and the second monitor shows the image?

• 5. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
                  bhousto90 Level 3

JUST SHOOT ME:

I also see the same as you describe for when one monitor is in use.

And when two are in use the dimming is the same for both monitors leaving only image preview area at full brightness.

(I repeated "Lights out" with LR5.7 and LR4.41 and they too have same behaviour.)

Just Shoot Me wrote:

So you are saying the Main screen goes completely back even the image area and the second monitor shows the image?

Or were you directing this question to Kris??

Both Kris's screen capture examples show problems:

1st screen capture shows that the Left side 'primary' monitor has unexpectedly dimmed the image preview area in addition to the panel areas when it should not?

- both should displays should show image preview without any dimming

In the 2nd example the image preview itself has a video glitch that about 1/3 of the image is incorrectly dimmed and the other portion of the preview is full bright as it should be. Again something unexpected whether it be a LR bug or other video/monitor profile problem.

Kris, I also tried to see if I could replicate your issue using develop mode in combination with survey mode but could not.

Let us know if any of the previous suggestions helped.

-BH

• 6. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens

Yes I was, sorry I clicked the Reply button in the wrong post.

• 7. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
                      Krjo Level 1

Hi

Thanks for the answers already !

In the next sequence of pictures i try to explain what I mean. Although not every time the same result, i have been able
                      to capture the problem in a number of successive steps. (You see in every step a screencopy with the explanation what I did.)

1.jpg

Screen 1 visible on start up LR. (Main screen)

2.jpg

After selecting second monitor the second screen gets visible. Second screen is in survey mode.

3.jpg

After pressing 2 times “L” (The second screen is partially dimmed. This is a strange behavior but not -- yet -- my focus point)

4.jpg

After pressing “L” and selecting 3 photo’s. (Second screen is still in survey)

5.jpg

After pressing 2 times “L” (again this strange behavior but not -- yet -- my focus point)

6.jpg

After pressing “L”. Second screen is still in survey mode.

7.jpg

After clicking two times on a photo the second screen go’s to loupe mode. I don’t know if this is normal but this is also not my focus point.

8.jpg

After presing “L” 1 times. And this is my focus point. Why is the mainscreen (screen 1) suddenly dimmed ? The behavior of ligths-out did change suddenly ! As you can see a few steps before, the second screen was the one who was dimmed.

9.jpg

After pressing “L” 2 times and selecting survey mode on the second screen. (Just to rule out the possibility that the loupe mode is causing the problem)

10.jpg

After pressing “L” 1 times. And this is my focus point. Unlike what you see in the third screencopy you see the opposite. Why is the mainscreen (screen 1) dimmed instead of the second screen ?

The behavior of ligths-out did change after simply working in LR. No fancy things. Simple selection photo’s and using lights-out.

I like to see that always the main screen (1) get’s dimmed after pressing the “L” button.

Kind regards

Kris

• 8. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
                        Krjo Level 1

Hi Bhousto90

thx for the attention.

- Does the Performance option for Graphics Processor on/off change anything?

• I see no difference between the on or off setting for the graphics Processor

- Update Lightroom to the current version 6.7

• Lightroom version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]
                        • Graphics Processor Info: GeForce GT 530/PCIe/SSE2
                        • Check OpenGL support: Passed
                          Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                          Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 373.06
                          Renderer: GeForce GT 530/PCIe/SSE2
                          LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

- Check to see if there is a monitor profile problem with the 2nd Monitor (set it to sRGB in Windows Colour Management)

• Second monitor works wiith sRGB windows Color Management.
                        • Main Monitor : EIZO with Colornavigator6 and the profiles build with it.

- Try another video driver (i.e. down-grade it to an earlier version, it is not always about being at newest/current)

• That's not so easy. I can't go back because i do not have the previous drivers. (Or perhaps somewhere on my PC in a dark directory :-))
                        • But i don't think this will change the behavior of lights-out. Perhaps the partially dimmed screen ..... but thats not my focus point today.

Kind regards

Kris

• 9. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
                          Krjo Level 1

For the people who have the same problem and mostly for the those that did find a solution.

I have re-activated Lightroom 5.7 with the the same system.

I don't have any problem with Lights-out with that version.

The screenshot op LR 5.7 in Lights-out:

LR 5.7 Lights-out 07112016.jpg

No strange behavior, works Always. same HW, same system, same drivers , ..... everything the same except LR 5.7 instead of LR CC CC 2015.7.

kind regards

Kris

• 10. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
                            Krjo Level 1

Hey,

I still have the problem with the lights-outs as discribed in the previous posts.

Although I have no problem with LR 5.7, I have searched the internet for a NVIDIA driver that is supported by Adobe. It' s the NVIDIA 368.81. You can find the page from Adobe at this Link. Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Following the demand of the Adobe support  and Bhousto90, I have installed this driver.

The result can be seen in the prereference info panel of Lightroom.

• Lightroom version: CC 2015.7 [ 1090788 ]
                              Operating system: Windows 7 Version: 6.1
                              Application architecture: x64 System architecture: x64
                            • Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1680x1050  1) DVI  2) VGA
                            • Graphics Processor Info:
                              GeForce GT 530/PCIe/SSE2
                            • Check OpenGL support: Passed
                              Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
                              Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 368.81
                              Renderer: GeForce GT 530/PCIe/SSE2
                              LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

But ... the problem is NOT solved ! So the problem is not caused by the Video driver.

Any suggestions ?

Kind regards

kris Joris

• 11. Re: Lights-out behavior and problem with 2 screens
                              Krjo Level 1

Last update until next version of Lightroom CC 2015

Last night I had a long chat and telephone conversation with Adobe support.  (2.5 hours)

Via a remote session we have almost everything thoroughly checked.

• Reinstallation of a few drivers of the graphics card (version V372.54 and 368.81) (no difference)
                              • Reinstallation of Lightroom CC 2015.7
                              • Installation of Lightroom 5 (did work perfect)
                              • Resetting the catalogue / Lightroom
                              • with or without the GPU
                              • Checking the settings of lightroom
                              • and so on ...

Problem not solved, nothing seem to be wrong, but it doesn't work as it should.

Conclusion : Wait for the next update of Lightroom CC 2015.

Thanks to Mayank Dabral from adobe support

I hope the next update will correct this problem.

Kind regards

Kris Joris