5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2016 8:40 AM by Rick Gerard

Masking out trackers

Suphanat Isarangkoon

I seemed to have some problems with my trackers removal. I masked over the markers, and used the motion tracker to track the point. The problem is like at the end of this video at 25.45, I walked over my tracker, and it also hid the area of me walking over the tracker. At the start of the video, I also had a very similar problem. The tracker could still do a pretty good job at tracking the position of the tracker but when the camera angle causes the tracker to be partially hidden, it masked out the area of my body, so I need to edit the mask nearly frame by frame, taking up to around a day, or two. Is there a way to solve the problem, or at least easier ways. Thank You!

• 1. Re: Masking out trackers
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

I seemed to have some problems with my trackers removal.

I remember seeing this post before, but I could not figure out what's the problem. the shot is still, no camera movement and no object is placed on top of a moving element so where is the tracking needed? in the video at 25:45 you are seen composited over a CG Background:

I can only see a problem where there is a still piece of cg on top of you. later it's even more appearant. this does not seem to be related to tracking markers or tracking. I am not sure what that is but maybe a masked cg with three pieces on top of your keyed footage?

At the start of the video, I also had a very similar problem.

you are going to have to be specific. it's a 30 minutes video.

your question is not clear. we need more information and be specific and to the point: what exactly are you set to accomplish here?, what do you expect to happen? and what actually is happening?.

• 2. Re: Masking out trackers
            Suphanat Isarangkoon Level 1

Here is the details:

First, at the start of the video, at 0:00. You can see small white triangles. There are actually about 7-9 of them, and I removed them by placing inverted mask on top of the track point. Then, I used track motion to track the movement, rotation, and scale of the footage, which I later applied to the footage to make the background follow the camera, as well as the masking to cover the track point, no matter how much it moves. It works for both the background, and for most of the track point, except those three that I circled. For those I need to edit the mask myself frame by frame for those three, and even that, the track points are still visible in many of the frames. This happens because most of the tracker is placed on the greenscreen without anything blocking its way, while the ones that are problematic are blocked in some frames by myself, so how do I solve this problem. What I mean is how do I track the track point that are partially hidden in some frames, like those three using the Track Motion function in the After effects , so I can mask them properly without them showing in the final video because I know how to track the track point that are not blocked but the ones that are blocked by myself, it seems like the motion track start behaving weirdly with it.

Screen Shot 2559-09-22 at 6.04.34 PM.png

In the parts of the video, such as 25.41. The camera is stationary but I am not. I moved in, and across three of the many track point. I want to remove them, so I used masking. The problem is no matter how I track the track point, the motion track starts behaving weirdly when I walked over the track point, and I cannot use it to adjust my masking over the track point. So, I have no option at the time but to leave it in the final cut.

pastedImage_5.png

I hope this detail would be enough. Thank You for replying, and wanting to help me.

• 3. Re: Masking out trackers
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your layer order is wrong. You have keyed yourself out. You should be on the top layer so you are in front of the trackers.

Also, your keying technique needs a lot of work. There is no reason, even with footage from a phone, to have noisy keys. Soft edges maybe, but you can get rid of the noise.

Without seeing the comp it is hard to say but I think your tracking mark removal technique is not correct at all. Show us a screenshot of the comp with the layers properly layered and selected so we can tell what you are doing. I think all you have to do is improve the key and put the shot of you on the top layer.

• 4. Re: Masking out trackers
                Suphanat Isarangkoon Level 1

Your layer order is wrong. You have keyed yourself out. You should be on the top layer so you are in front of the trackers.

Dear Gerard,

Thank You for replying. But according to what you said, both myself, and the track point are on the same layer, since both are parts of the original footage, so I cannot do that. Do you have any other suggestions for me, please?

• 5. Re: Masking out trackers
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know how you walked in front of a track point unless you put the tracking marker on a string between you and the camera.

I'm also guessing that you tried to do the entire 30 minute video in one AE comp. I hope that is not the case.

Please show us the original footage with the tracking markers. Your workflow makes no sense at all to me. The normal workflow for working with camera motion in a green screen setting is to put tracking markers or something on the green screen background, put the actor in front of the green screen, do the tracking to determine the camera movement, pull a good key so you can put a new background behind the actor. Clean up any tracking markers in the shot with garbage mattes. If the actor moves in front of a garbage matte then you animate the matte, it's called roto, so it does not make a hole in the actor as he passes by, then you add your background in and take the motion data from the track and apply it to the background.

If you had tracking markers on your original footage and you masked them out so you could get a good key, then when you move in front of the masks you either need to animate the masks so they do not make a hole in the actor. Simple as that.