8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2009 5:19 AM by Newsgroup_User

protected file dates

Level 7
      I'm creating a trial program. I get the date of the file and compare it to
      the system date. To test, I changed the system date to 15 days ahead (it's
      a 14 day trial). When I ran the projector, I didn't not get the expiration
      alert. I checked the date on my .dir (which the stub projector accesses)
      and the date was the new system date. So I created a protected .dir (.dxr)
      and the same thing happened. Does anyone know why this is happening? If
      not the .dir, shouldn't the .dxr certainly maintain it's original creation
      date?

Craig

• 1. Re: protected file dates
          fazstp Level 2
          Maybe you could check the date on a member?

member( n ).modifiedDate

• 2. Re: protected file dates
            Level 7
            That would only work if the installation date and the member dates were the
            same which of course would never happen. I need to check the time from the
            installation date or more accurately, the date the project was first
            launched (after installation)

Of course, I could write a text file to the hard drive and code it with a
            date, but I'd like to avoid that.

craig

--
            "fazstp" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gnvco3$hvl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Maybe you could check the date on a member?
            >
            > member( n ).modifiedDate
            >
            >

• 3. Re: protected file dates
              Level 7
              You could keep an external castLib and create a member in it when first
              run, then save this castLib and use it for your date check
              • 4. Re: protected file dates
                fazstp Level 2
                Have you tried checking the player instead of the movie?

_player.applicationPath & _player.applicationName

• 5. Re: protected file dates
                  Level 7
                  Not a bad idea. Once the files are installed onto the hard drive, they
                  would be writeable.

But I'm still curious why the dates change on the DXR's when the projector
                  is run. That sort of nullifies the point of the file dates.

--
                  Craig

"Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:go00f2$ahn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > You could keep an external castLib and create a member in it when first
                  > run, then save this castLib and use it for your date check

• 6. Re: protected file dates
                    Level 7
                    awesome. Actually, that's what I was looking for. I knew about the
                    applicationPath but I couldn't find a way to get the name. I guess I should
                    have used my pea sized brain and at least tried the obvious...the
                    appicationName.

That should work. I'm assuming that the mod date of the executable won't
                    change. This would be less work than writing to a cast member and saving
                    the castLib although it would be a perfectly valid solution.

Thanks for all your help. It's 5:50am in NY and I'll go change one line in
                    my code to try this out.

--
                    Craig
                    www.wordofmouthpros.com

"fazstp" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:go01q1$c64$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Have you tried checking the player instead of the movie?
                    >
                    > _player.applicationPath & _player.applicationName
                    >
                    >

• 7. Re: protected file dates
                      Level 7
                      WOMP wrote:
                      > That should work. I'm assuming that the mod date of the executable
                      > won't change.

If you could get the installer to set the executable file's creation date,
                      using that would be more relia^W^W less unreliable than using the file
                      modified date, which I have noticed can change for the slightest of reasons.

Andrew

• 8. Re: protected file dates
                        Level 7
                        Well, I'm checking the MOD date so it would make sense that that would
                        change.

But I used Sean's suggestion of using an unprotected castLib, setting the
                        first launch date there and check it agains the systemDate for each
                        subsequent launch. I works perfectly in authoring but when I try it from
                        the projector, I get a "movie cast not found" error. I'm assuming I can't
                        save a CXT file so I need to leave it as a CST file. But why would the
                        protected director file not be able to find the appdata.cst cast file? Do I
                        have to attach it on the fly?

Again, it works perfectly from the projector in the unprotected version.

Craig

"WOMP" <craig@wordofmo.com> wrote in message
                        news:go0jf2$4p8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Not a bad idea. Once the files are installed onto the hard drive, they
                        > would be writeable.
                        >
                        > But I'm still curious why the dates change on the DXR's when the projector
                        > is run. That sort of nullifies the point of the file dates.
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > --
                        > Craig
                        >
                        > "Sean Wilson" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        > news:go00f2$ahn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >> You could keep an external castLib and create a member in it when first
                        >> run, then save this castLib and use it for your date check
                        >
                        >