1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 23, 2009 1:07 AM by Michael Thornburgh

is there way to connect without renewing my id

I want to connect to rtmfp stratus beta service(rtmfp://stratus.adobe.com/mydevkey) without renewing my id. is there a way to do that ?

thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: is there way to connect without renewing my id
          Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee
          there is no way to do that.

a NetConnection.nearID (its peerID) is unique, unpredictable, and unforgeable. allowing it to be saved and re-used would have several undesirable effects: 1) there could be more than one simultaneous instance of the Flash Player (perhaps on the same computer) with the same peerID, which would break the uniqueness semantic, and dramatically complicate the notion of "one-to-one direct communications". 2) the cryptographic strength of the peerID could be used to automatically establish non-repudiable session-to-session tracking of a particular user, even if that user is behind a NAT shared with many other users; this would break the expected privacy/anonymity semantic of using the Flash Player and is therefore unacceptable. 3) the peerID is derived from a Diffie-Hellman key used to generate the encryption keys used for client-server and peer-to-peer communications; retaining the peerID beyond the relatively short lifetime of a NetConnection would involve permanently storing the Diffie-Hellman private key to disk, which could compromise the expected Perfect Forward Secrecy property of RTMFP communications.

you should think of the peerID not as a strong permanent identity of a user, but as an ephemeral network location at which a user may be found, and to which a user identity must be mapped by your application logic.

-mike