7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 11:49 AM by JimHess

Losing Photo Borders When Transferring Images to a Thumb Drive

georgeb50029297

September 22, 2016

To All,

When I export  images from Lightroom 5 to a thumb drive the photographs lose their borders. In some images, loss of borders is not a problem. In others, such as snow scenes and very light skies, a border helps define the image.

I have googled help desks, looked at the manual, asked friends, etc.,  but have not received any replies that answer the problem.

When I edit the image, I select stroke border, 2 points, in the Image Settings section under Print. Under print settings I select single hairline.

When I print this image on my printer, the border is retained. It is only when I export these images to the thumb drive that the border is lost.

Suggestions?

Thank you.

George Bellerose

• 1. Re: Losing Photo Borders When Transferring Images to a Thumb Drive
          Bob Somrak Level 5

Don't use export, use print to jpg and the border should be there.  Print setting are separate from export.

• 2. Re: Losing Photo Borders When Transferring Images to a Thumb Drive
            JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you printing to a file from the print module? Or, are you just using the export function? You'll have to print to a file from the print module in order to have your stroke border included.

• 3. Re: Losing Photo Borders When Transferring Images to a Thumb Drive
              georgeb50029297 Level 1

Dear Jim,     I do print from the print function when I use my low-end Brother DCP 7020 laser printer. The border is retained. These prints are low quality and for reference.      I also give higher quality prints away. In this case, I take a thumb drive to a friend who has a very high-quality Xerox printer. As noted, when I export the collections to a thumb drive and lose the border.     There appears to be no way to retain the border when they are transferred from a collection to a thumb drive.     • The solution appears to be buy a new high-quality printer and print directly from my Mac Mini and have borders or use my friend's Xerox machine and have no borders.     • Do you have a sense of the cost of a suitable higher-end printer? I will be talking with B&H in New York.     Thank you.George Bellerose

• 4. Re: Losing Photo Borders When Transferring Images to a Thumb Drive
                georgeb50029297 Level 1

Dear Bob,    I do print from the print function when I use my low-end Brother DCP 7020 laser printer. The border is retained. These prints are low quality and for reference.

I also give higher quality prints away. In this case, I take a thumb drive to a friend who has a very high-quality Xerox printer. As noted, when I export the collections to a thumb drive I lose the border.

There appears to be no way to retain the border when they are transferred from a collection to a thumb drive.

• The solution appears to be buy a new high-quality printer and print directly from my Mac Mini and have borders or use my friend's Xerox machine and have no borders.

• Do you have a sense of the cost of a suitable higher-end printer? I will be talking with B&H in New York.

Thank you.

George Bellerose

• 5. Re: Losing Photo Borders When Transferring Images to a Thumb Drive
                  Bob Somrak Level 5

You can "Print" to a JPG file using the print module and the borders will be in the JPG file.  Just select the option in the PRINT JOB section of the Print Module.

I wish Adobe would also give the option to "Print" to a TIFF file and it should be a pretty easy option to implement.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 11.07.49 AM.png

• 6. Re: Losing Photo Borders When Transferring Images to a Thumb Drive
                    D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

Theres no need to buy a new printer (unless of course you really want one)

As stated previously the border is a function of the print module and therefore designed for hard copies (on paper), however, you can also print to file with a little setup.

In this example I have used a 4x6 size to create a template. Once setup you can save as a preset for re use.

• 7. Re: Losing Photo Borders When Transferring Images to a Thumb Drive
                      JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It was explained to you previously in this thread. You cannot use the standard export function and retain your stroke border. You have to be in the print module and change the "Print to" to file. Then you can "print" your image to a JPEG file, and that JPEG file will still have the stroke border. The stroke border is a function of the print module. It is NOT a function of the standard export dialog.