4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 8:12 AM by coreyg26002052

Cannot Edit PDFs in Acrobat DC

coreyg26002052

I started getting the following error every time I tried to edit text in a previously scanned PDF.

"Acrobat has detected that this page doesn't have editable text.  If it is a scanned page, edit this page by upgrading to Acrobat Pro DC or convert it to another format using the export PDF tool."

• I am running Windows 10
      • I have done this many times before with the same files I am running now
      • I have tried exporting one of the files to word and it was successful
      • I tried the simple stuff: repair installation option under Help and restarted the PC with no help provided
      • I read through the troubleshooting guide and made sure that it was Acrobat DC running, not Reader DC
      • I should not need the Pro version to do this per the instructions and my past experience

This is the whole reason I bought this product, so I need help tackling this.

Corey

• 1. Re: Cannot Edit PDFs in Acrobat DC
          CtDave Level 5

The output of a scanner is an image. That is what gets put into the PDF.

Acrobat (PRO or Standard) cannot edit an image - for that you'd export the image out of PDF and edit with a photo editor.

Have Acrobat perform OCR on the scanner output image that is in the PDF.

Use the "ClearScan" feature to replace the recognized characters with renderable fonts which Acrobat can edit.

Be well...

• 2. Re: Cannot Edit PDFs in Acrobat DC
            coreyg26002052 Level 1

I did not previously clarify that I get the following error message when I select the tools "Edit PDF" or "Edit Text and Images" in Acrobat DC.  My understanding is that the "Edit" tools are the new versions of the "Clearscan" used in past Acrobat versions.

"Acrobat has detected that this page doesn't have editable text.  If it is a scanned page, edit this page by upgrading to Acrobat Pro DC or convert it to another format using the export PDF tool."

My only idea is that I must really need the Pro version because this feature is not enabled for the non-Pro version.  I did not think that was the case because I was using this feature for a couple weeks after my free trial was up, but maybe the restrictions of the non-pro version did not take effect for a while, maybe until I restarted the PC.  I guess I will try that unless there are ideas out there.

• 3. Re: Cannot Edit PDFs in Acrobat DC
              Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, you need Acrobat Pro DC for this.

• 4. Re: Cannot Edit PDFs in Acrobat DC
                coreyg26002052 Level 1

I just installed the Acrobat DC Pro version and the page by page editing function is working now.  The instructions and advertisements made me believe that this function would work with the non-pro version but it did not for me.