29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2016 4:24 AM by Abambo

Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?

J S1

I just upgrade my PC because last one was quite old. The old PC specs : 2 Xeon X5450, 16G RAM, 520GB SSD   It took 10-20 seconds to export 1 photo. When exporting all cores were at 100%.

Now the new PC:  2X Xeon E5-2670, 32G RAM,  520GB SSD and it still took 10-20 seconds to export a file and the CPU usage is about 40% when exporting.

The size of catalogue doesn't seem to matter a lot. A smaller with 3 file probably take 10 seconds per file, a larger catalogue with 100+ files will take near 20 seconds  per photo.

My surface pro 4 with i5 cpu is roughly the same speed. Did I do something wrong or is Lightroom suppose to be this slow? I remember Lightroom 5.7 to be much faster but I like the new features of the CC.

I already set cache to 200GB but it makes no difference if it is 1GB or 200GB. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
          dj_paige Level 9

Tell us the size in pixels of the photo you are exporting. Did you do a lot of brushing or spot healing on the photo?

Is your hard disk nearly full?

• 2. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
            J S1 Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

The HDD is 92% free. The tests I done were just raw file with some filter applied and that took 10 seconds to export a 42 mp photo at full size 85% quality jpg.  If I do a lot of retouching it usually took more then 20 seconds to export.

It looks like the Lightroom is not utilizing all the 16 cores at full speed, hence no improvement in speed after upgrading the PC.

• 3. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
              dj_paige Level 9

I have seen a link to an article that indicates Lightroom will not operate faster on computers with 6 or more cores; compared to a computer with 4 cores. I'm sorry, I don't have the link, but I'm guessing someone will provide it.

It is not surprising to me that photos with lots of brushing and spot healing take significantly longer to export, this is a known "feature"/drawback of brushing/spot healing in Lightroom.

So that brings us to the question of whether or not a 42MP original should take 10 seconds to export. That seems a little slow to me given that you have a very fast processor, but I admit I have never tried it. My camera takes 16MP photos, and on my somewhat slower CPU, exports take 2-3 seconds per image; your photos are 2.6X larger, maybe 10 seconds is in the ballpark especially if your CPU isn't using all of it's power. But this paragraph is all guesswork.

• 4. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There appears to be a performance issue with systems using 6 or more core processors, including Intel i7, Intel Xeon and AMD processors. I suggest adding a comment with your system details, LR version, and specific issues at the below report and add your 'Me-To' vote:

Lightroom: Clone and brush tool are slow only on CPU with XEON architectures | Photoshop Family Customer Community

• 5. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                  johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                  raw file with some filter applied and that took 10 seconds to export a 42 mp photo at full size 85% quality jpg. 

How are you estimating the 10 seconds for a single-file export?  Are you waiting for the progress bar to disappear from the screen?

• 6. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?

Also, as a palliative, you could try restricting LR to run on 4 processors: Lightroom: Clone and brush tool are slow only on CPU with XEON architectures | Photoshop Family Customer Community. Another person running 8 Xeon cores reported that running with 4 processors was faster than with 8 for interactive editing.

• 7. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                      J S1 Level 1

I open Task Manager to check if the Lightroom is still exporting, and progress bar is very accurate as well.

• 8. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                        J S1 Level 1

I will see If I can run with one core only and see if the performance changes.

The old PC was running at 100% with all 8 cores when exporting, while as the new one hardly reach 40% ( with one cpu reaching peak and the other one pretty much idle).

• 9. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                          dj_paige Level 9

I will see If I can run with one core only and see if the performance changes.

But the recommendation was to use 4 cores ...

• 10. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                            and progress bar is very accurate as well.

You may have noticed that after the white bar in the progress bar reaches 100%, it stays visible for about 5 more seconds.  That is, the task finishes when the white bar first reaches 100%, not when the bar disappears.

• 11. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                              J S1 Level 1

Just did some test. Using 4 cores instead of 32 slow downs quite a bit. using 8 cores is rough the same as 4 cores. Using only on1 CPU 16 cores is almost the same as running on 2 CPU with all 32 cores running.

• 12. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                Just did some test. Using 4 cores instead of 32 slow downs quite a bit. using 8 cores is rough the same as 4 cores. Using only on1 CPU 16 cores is almost the same as running on 2 CPU with all 32 cores running.

If that is for exporting one photo, those relative speedups aren't surprising.  Adobe engineers have described how Lightroom's non-destructive adjustments are hard to parallelize -- that is, there may be a lot of benefit from going from 1 to 2 processors, but very little additional benefit going from 4 to 8, or 8 to 16 (for exporting one photo).  Such relative speedups are typical for many algorithms.  This is why it's been hard for Adobe to effectively utilize GPUs. 

That is, we shouldn't expect to see a single export speed up by doubling the processors from 4 to 8, or from 8 to 16.

I think the key issue here is that doing one export on your high-end workstation takes roughly twice as long as on machines with fewer but similar processors, whereas it should take the same amount of time.  (E.g. my MacBook Pro with a 4 x 2.8 GHz Core i7 can export a 110 MP DNG in about 10 seconds and a 30 MP CR2 in about 3 seconds, compared to 10 seconds for a 42 MP file on your computer.)

• 13. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                  J S1 Level 1

After some testing my conclusion is that a higher clock speed 8 core CPU will probably be the best option. Anything above 16 logical cores is a waste of money on Lightroom.

Even in develop module only 16 cores are used the other 16 are idle.

• 14. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                    J S1 Level 1

One more interesting fact to add.

When exporting 1 jpg from raw file in Photoshop finishes almost instant, exporting same file with only that file in the catalogue will take 10 + seconds in Lightroom.  It just makes no sense.

• 15. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?

Are you experiencing any lag when using the Adjustment Brush?  See this post for more details:

Problems with the performance of Lightroom in the develop modul

• 16. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?

J S1 wrote:

One more interesting fact to add.

When exporting 1 jpg from raw file in Photoshop finishes almost instant, exporting same file with only that file in the catalogue will take 10 + seconds in Lightroom. It just makes no sense.

I think you mean 'Saving' to JPEG in Photoshop is almost instant. The open image in PS has already been fully rendered so when 'Saving' the file the only delay you see is the time to write the image file to disk. When exporting in LR the image is 1) rendered using the Develop module and Export module settings and then 2) written to disk. This is the difference between destructive pixel editing (PS) and non-destructive editing (LR).

• 17. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                          Abambo Level 4

The only accurate measure is to export a bunch of images and look into the difference of the times between images.

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?

In LR Preferences you can set a 'Completion Sound' that provides a very accurate indication when the export has finished. Also keep in mind that exporting a single image file will take longer than the exporting multiple files. With three or more files LR runs two exports in parallel, which better utilizes the available cores. If you set the 'Completion Sound' you'll hear two sounds after a multi-file export (3 or more files) completes, but only one sound when exporting a single file.

• 19. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                              J S1 Level 1

The adjustment brush is running OK, not as smooth I would like but it's bearable. As I am using 5K monitor I do expecting some delay.

I now did a bulk exporting just to see if the speed improved and it does indeed. 20 jpgs took only 124 seconds with only custom profile applied. It's almost twice as fast than exporting it one by one. Although the CPUs usage is still well under 50% (maybe 25% or less on average) , the difference is now both CPUs are running instead of just one. A small improvement but still better than nothing.

Thank you all for all your help!

• 20. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                Abambo Level 4

You're right. The sound is quite a good indicator to stop the time. You could even set-up a recording devioce (your phone!) and picking up the time between the go-mouse-click (provided the "click" is mechanical ) and the the sound.

Reading the OP's original question again,  he didn't say something about the technology change, except for the CPU. Or sometimes we forget, that a system needs to be balanced for speed. The IO subsystem of a computer has a great influence on the speed. If the IO is the bottleneck, a faster CPU just only waits faster for the data to arrive or part. I do not think that doubling the memory currently gives a big advantage for single programs. And the disk subsystem on the original machine was more or less BAT.

It's really problematic to tune the machine for a single image export, and the difference between 10 seconds and 9.9 seconds is not exactly exiting. What is really stressing is, when you have to wait for a huge export of a lot of pictures.

• 21. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                  J S1 Level 1

Sorry for my ignorance but what is IO subsystem?

• 22. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                    Abambo Level 4

Input/Output subsystem. In Computer terms a computer is composes of a CPU (subsystem), memory subsystem and IO subsystem. IO comprises all elements like screen (and graphics card), keyboard and mouse etc, printers and disk.

• 23. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                      J S1 Level 1

Well the bandwidth of CPU is 51.2 GB/s support 4 channel, I got 4 RAM for per CPU bandwidth total 42.6 GB/s and SSD is on SATA 6Gb/s.  Can't really think of a bottleneck that will restrict CPUs usage to so low. I did some benchmarks and they are all very good. It got to be software limitations.

• 24. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                        J S1 Level 1

After few days of experimenting with various settings I had some interesting findings to share.

Settings that slowing down rendering time considerably especially exporting in bulk are NUMA and Hyper Threading ( on my PC at least).

With Turbo + NUMA + HT  on , exporting twenty 42 MB pics took 1:42 min

with Turbo on only but  NUMA and HT off  it took only 1:18 min.

However when exporting 1 photo only, the speed gain is minimal. One photo still took 11 seconds to export, instead of 13.  In development module the performance is about the same doesn't matter what the setting were.

I have tested it many times and results are consistent. So, although  it may not help with my workflow, it may benefit someone else's.

• 25. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                          Abambo Level 4

You should look at the bandwidth improvement, not at the raw numbers.

• 26. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                            Abambo Level 4

10-20s for a single picture is not a delay. Even with 20 images you are practically immediate. It will show of with 100s of pictures to do in batch.

• 27. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                              J S1 Level 1

A little update.

Just upgrade CPUs to E5-2690 and SSD to Samsung 950 Pro and it makes no difference in exporting speed.  So, please don't waste your money on hardwares, folks!

• 28. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                                dj_paige Level 9

Using an SSD will have only the smallest and trivial effect on Export speed. Moving to a faster SSD won't produce noticeable improvements.

As stated above, there is apparently some bug involving Xeon CPUs, so changing from one set of Xeon CPUs to a different set of Xeon CPUs is unlikely to fix the problem either (although I would imagine that changing from a Xeon to a 4-core Intel i7 processor might avoid that bug and actually cause a speedup of exporting — but I have no evidence to prove that).

• 29. Re: Export 1 file took 10 seconds, normal?
                                                                  Abambo Level 4

SSD's enhance the experience if and only if disk access is a prominent part of the overall time spent.

Adding more cores and CPUs slows down the overall system at some point, because of the additional overhead, you introduce. We noticed that 20 years ago, when we (my company) started running an 8 processor vector machine for number crunching.

A good example of this is adding workers (the CPU is a worker at the end of the day) to a task. A worker finishes the works in a certain time. For some tasks, he will be even ineffective, because he would need 4 hands. Adding a worker may bring down the time to about half of the time. They will still need to wait to get the consumables delivered however, and this means 2 of them waiting. If you add 20 people, there are probably only 3 or 4 working on the job. The others are simply idling, because they do not get access without kicking a colleague...

10-20 seconds for one picture is not worth all the buzz.I wouldn't even start optimizing.