7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 12:40 PM by Roei Tzoref

Keyframe problem.

toymaker1 Level 1

I am working through a Lynda.com tutorial ' After Effects Apprentice 02: Basic Animation. I am using After Effects CC on an iMac 10.11.6. In the tutorial movie, a starting keyframe is created at position 00,00,00 on the Timeline. When the current time indicator is moved along the timeline to the next keyframe position, the image in the Comps panel remains visible, and can be manipulated to the required position. However, when I do the same thing, I find that the image in the Comps panel dissapears after I move the time indicator from the first keyframe position, so I cannot see the image, in order to move it where I want it to be at the second keyframe. I do not know how to keep the image visible when moving the time indicator. If it was Flash, I would insert some F5 blank keyframes, so that the image would be visible in between the keyframes. But I do not know how to keep the image visble in between keyframes in After Effects. It is not explained in the tutorials; the image just remains visible, with no explanation how. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this problem?

Thanks for any advice.

• 1. Re: Keyframe problem.
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          After Effects Apprentice 02: Basic Animation.

Chris and Trish are the best

I find that the image in the Comps panel dissapears after I move the time indicator from the first keyframe position, so I cannot see the image, in order to move it where I want it to be at the second keyframe.

Share screenshots: 1. for the start keyframe - seeing image, 2. for the second keyframe - not seeing image. make sure the whole interface is visible.

• 2. Re: Keyframe problem.
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

toymaker1 wrote:

. . . It is not explained in the tutorials; the image just remains visible, with no explanation how. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this problem?

Thanks for any advice.

It's hard to say without seeing your comp. Try this. Select the layer you are working on and press the u key twice to reveal all modified properties in the layer. Look for effects and keyframes. If your layer disappears then there is either a keyframe on another property somewhere in the timeline or the out point of the layer has been set at the current frame. If the layer is a pre-comp or nested composition then you will have to open up that comp and see what's going on inside there.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Keyframe problem.
              toymaker1 Level 1

Roei.

.Not seeing image..pngSeeing image.png

Thanks for your response.

I have discovered that the problem arises even before I create the first keyframe. In the tutorial, to demonstrate the timeline, the instructor, Trish, scrubs the Current time indicator up and down along the timeline before creating any keyframes. The image in the Comps panel is visible the whole time.

When I do the same thing, the image is not visbile after the initial position on the time line. I also notice that the layer in the time line has no color. In the tutorial the layer is colored a light purple. I have enclosed screenshots as you requested - As you can see, one is Seeing image, and the other one is not seeing image (i.e. as soon as I move the time indicator, the image disappears.) Hope that is clear.

Cheers.

• 4. Re: Keyframe problem.

AH HA! here's your culprit:

you (or somebody...) imported the graphics as a Tiff sequence instead of a still

the import dialog had Tiff sequence checked on

and it's not what you want. what you should do now is replace the file with just a still Tif. you do that by right clicking on the file in the project window->replace footage->file then you find the file, untick the tif sequence check box, click import. this will replace the sequence with the still. now you will be able to drag your tif layer in the timeline for as long as you want.

• 5. Re: Keyframe problem.
                  toymaker1 Level 1

Thanks Roei, for solving that problem. - bit odd, because I imported the file directly from the exercise files in the tutorial.

Cheers.

• 6. Re: Keyframe problem.
                    toymaker1 Level 1

Thanks Rick for your advice.

• 7. Re: Keyframe problem.

Thanks Roei, for solving that problem. - bit odd, because I imported the file directly from the exercise files in the tutorial.

You're welcome, thanks for the feedback. if you imported the file, not the project file, then it's the settings you had in your software that caused it... maybe it was the default I don't know.