8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2016 9:33 AM by JimHess

Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?

Joe in SB

I downloaded Lightroom 4.4 into my new HP Envy PC after the old Dell computer lost its motherboard. After downloading images including RAW files from my Fuji camera, I was told LR couldn't open them because my camera wasn't supported and that I needed to add my new camera to the list and to download the list of the latest recognizable cameras. When I did so, the on-screen message from Adobe said it would take several hours, which I don't recall doing on my old computer (we are on a fairly slow connection). Is it possible that all the framework (let's  call it) is part of LR3 or maybe even LR2, which was my first LR?

So my question is, should I load the older LRs or wait eleven hours for the download?

• 1. Re: Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

the camera raw (cr) version or lr determines which camera's raw files can be opened.

which cr version is installed and what fuji camera model are you trying to use?

• 2. Re: Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?
            Joe in SB Level 1

At the moment LR4.4 is installed, upgraded, as I recall, from LR3. As for the camera, I have the Fuji X-100S.

• 3. Re: Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I needed to add my new camera to the list and to download the list of the latest recognizable cameras. When I did so, the on-screen message from Adobe said it would take several hours, which I don't recall doing on my old computer (we are on a fairly slow connection). Is it possible that all the framework (let's call it) is part of LR3 or maybe even LR2, which was my first LR?

So my question is, should I load the older LRs or wait eleven hours for the download?

That's quite an elaborate theory but it's not how Lightroom works. Each version of Lightroom is self-contained and does not rely on any other version to run properly. With each update and upgrade, new camera support is progressively added into the core Lightroom code but never added retrospectively into older versions.

So there is no list or framework to download to get new camera support. You just download and install a new update or upgrade of Lightroom and new camera support is included. So, Lightroom 4 does not need any assistance from any earlier versions to run properly.

Having said that Lightroom 4.4 supports the Fujifilm X100s out of the box.

Cameras supported by Camera Raw

so I'm puzzled why your 4.4 is not recognising Raw files from that camera.

• 4. Re: Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Are you receiving any other error messages or notifications from Lightroom regarding those raw files? And, are you sure you have Lightroom 4.4 installed?

• 5. Re: Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?
                  Joe in SB Level 1

Hmm, Jim, good question about my LR being fully/correctly installed. As I may or may not have stated, I have been dragged against my wishes into buying a new PC with Windows 10 (a whole 'nuther subject for debate) and am trying to figure out how things work. As I wrote, I downloaded LR4 from its disc, being prompted to give the serial number of LR3, because this was an update to 4. But everything seemed to load properly and I got the familiar LR screen. I clicked on "Import from camera card" and got a screen full of gray silhouettes, all of them RAW images, which was puzzling, because I shoot both RAW and jpeg, which didn't appear. When I selected "all" and clicked "import," I received the message stating that my LR4, or 4.4, didn't recognize my camera's images and that I needed to download the appropriate data--by clicking on download, which I did. That's when I got what I call, the gas gauge and accompanying info stating that the download was in progress and there were (gulp!) something like 11 hours remaining. Now I've had LR4 installed in my now defunct Dell, and at no time do I ever recall having to wait that long for any download.

To further muddy the waters, I plugged in my two aux hard drives on which my thousands of images are stored, and they all appeared normal, at least on whatever MS calls its generic photo program (Pictures?). Perhaps I'll try importing/opening them in my "new" Lightroom installation on my new computer.

Sorry to play the ignoramus here, but I am kinda slow. Thanks for your indulgence.

• 6. Re: Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?
                    Joe in SB Level 1

John, sorry to get your message mixed up with Jim's (I read from the bottom). I don't know of any errors messages because I haven't tried downloading any images from my SD card since I attempted do so last night. But I'll give 'er a shot.

Interestingly/curiously, I just received an email from a friend who had inserted (pasted) a jpeg in his post. The square identifying the image appeared, but wouldn't open--in MS Pictures, not in LR. But still, a jpeg? C'mon. BTW, did I mention I'm hating Windows 10?

• 7. Re: Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?
                      wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Perhaps I'll try importing/opening them in my "new" Lightroom installation on my new computer.

One piece of advice- Do NOT import them!  (and you cannot 'open' images in Lightroom- LR is a "database" type program)

When you have LR v 4.4 installed, you will simply need to open your CATALOG, (????.LRCAT) by a double-click on the catalog file.  The 'new' version of Lightroom will simply upgrade the catalog to work with 4.4 and all your previous editing and work done will be in the 'new' catalog.

Of necessity, your original image files also need to be available for the LR catalog to link with, on the 'plugged in' hard drives.

The grey thumbnails would indicate that LR does not like the current default monitor profile and re-setting the profile may fix this.

How do I change my monitor profile to check whether it’s corrupted? - The Lightroom Queen

A 'new' Windows-10 system typically has default drivers for the GPU (Graphics card) and it is highly recommended to also- find your GPU details, go to the manufacturers web-site, download and install the latest graphic drivers available.

11 hours remaining

Windows often shows spurious times!, If you let the download continue for a while you may see the time shorten down to something reasonable and expected.

they all appeared normal,

Likely because these 'viewers' simply look at the jpg 'preview' components of the raw image file. LR will display its rendering of the full raw data, and that's where the monitor profile becomes important.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Need to download LR3 to make LR4 work fully?
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You indicated that you installed Lightroom 4 from the disk. The disk installation would not have installed version 4.4, it would have installed version 4.0. It would then be necessary for you to update and download Lightroom 4.4 from the Adobe website. It isn't clear to me that you have done that. Can you please clarify?