3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2016 4:54 PM by D.A.R

Catalog confusion

lfchaf

Using Import in Library, I go to a file of photos and find only jpg versions available for import, yet I know RAW files are there also. I get out of LR, find same folder, see jpg and RAW files, except LR says RAW is already in catalog. I search system (Win 10/64) and discover I have almost 25 lrcat files (catalogs?) but don't know how to tell which one is one I'm looking for. (I fault LR for catalog confusion!) What to do?

• 1. Re: Catalog confusion
          dj_paige Level 9

Using Import in Library, I go to a file of photos and find only jpg versions available for import, yet I know RAW files are there also. I get out of LR, find same folder, see jpg and RAW files, except LR says RAW is already in catalog.

Please state the camera make and model that took these RAW images, and the exact version NUMBER of Lightroom, go to Help->System Info and report the version number shown there.

I search system (Win 10/64) and discover I have almost 25 lrcat files (catalogs?) but don't know how to tell which one is one I'm looking for. (I fault LR for catalog confusion!) What to do?

Lightroom only creates additional catalogs when you specifically instruct it to. Perhaps you are issuing a command or accessing LR in such a way that creates catalogs, but Lightroom does not do this by itself. To determine which catalog you are looking for, the only thing you can do is open (double-click) each catalog file found and see if it the images of interest have been imported into this specific catalog.

• 2. Re: Catalog confusion
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

How are these 25 LRCAT files named?

What folder or folders are they in?

In the LR Preferences on the General tab in the Default catalog section what is it set to?

Do you create new catalogs with a new project and or shoot you do?

• 3. Re: Catalog confusion
              D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

I suspect that all those catalogs are backups and probably located in individual dated folders. Please verify.

The catalog you "should" be using is the one that is located outside of a "Backups" folder. Default location is in My Pictures.

If the catalog states the files are already in the catalog and you cannot see them its possible you have a filter activated. From the Library Menu make sure "Enable Filters" is not checked.

Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 7.52.02 PM.png

Then target "All Photographs" by clicking on the words. Now do you see the RAW files?

If this helps let us know and we can go into how to handle the backups to prevent any confusion later.