4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 11:34 AM by kerrishotts

Can I build a complex app like TaskRabbit using Adobe PhoneGap?

patrickl18781663 Level 1

Can I build a complex app like TaskRabbit using Adobe PhoneGap?  Where someone requests someone else to complete a task for them, the money gets transacted and held, and then the money gets transferred once the job has been completed and confirmed.

• 1. Re: Can I build a complex app like TaskRabbit using Adobe PhoneGap?
          VectorP Level 4

Don't know if you can do that, but yes, it's possible to do such a thing with Phonegap.

Or in general: if something can be built for a regular website, it can also be done for a Phonegap-built app (the reverse is not always true).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can I build a complex app like TaskRabbit using Adobe PhoneGap?
            kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

"Can PhoneGap do xyz" questions can largely be answered with "Yes." Usually where this falls down is when qualifications and constraints are added. For example, can you build a Minecraft-like game in PhoneGap? Yes. Can you do it such that it has the same performance as the equivalent written in C? Almost certainly not.

With regard to your question, PhoneGap is only going to be part of the equation, since you'd need to have/interface with a backend to track task completion, funds in escrow, and initiate transfers. So can PhoneGap do /part/ of this? Yes. Can it do all of it? No.

Of course, this answer would be the same even if you were asking about a native app. An app running client-side can only do so much -- an app of this type would require some sort of backend for tracking everything.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Can I build a complex app like TaskRabbit using Adobe PhoneGap?
              patrickl18781663 Level 1

Hi Kerri, thank you for the explanation.  If you had to guess, how long would it take a seasoned person to build it?  Also, could an unseasoned person build it?  I am fairly proficient with PS and IL, but don't know if this Adobe PhoneGap system is somewhat similar user interface?  Lastly, if I chose to hire someone to build it, how much would it cost me (approximate)? 

• 4. Re: Can I build a complex app like TaskRabbit using Adobe PhoneGap?
                kerrishotts Adobe Community Professional

PhoneGap isn't like Photoshop or Illustrator in any way, shape, or form. PhoneGap requires one to write code (using HTML, JavaScript, and CSS). Some frameworks that are used offer some rapid application development tools for user interfaces and such, but no matter what, one is going to be writing code at some point. Adding authentication and money to the mix makes it so much more complicated (liabilities, security, etc.), and is not something someone with little to no experience should be approaching as their first app.

As to cost and time estimates, there is insufficient information in this thread to provide even a guesstimate. I can say that a person with little to no experience would probably be unable to build such a project in a reasonable timeframe. That isn't to say that they couldn't get there eventually, but they would need to build their experience with smaller and less complicated apps first.