11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2016 11:24 AM by johnrellis

Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty

peterl36631433 Level 1

I have just upgraded directly from Lightroom 2 to CC (6.1), and have imported my previous catalogue of 140,000 images.

All the images are there in the new Lightroom, as are the metadata - dates, titles and exif info.

However...

when I carry out a search using 'any searchable field' and 'contains' for the imported images I get just a very few or (usually) no results.

It does return search results for images I have added since the upgrade.

I have reset preferences, and tried altering the search from 'any searchable field' to 'title' or keyword' and so on, but this does not improve things.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty
          Bob Somrak Level 5

First thing to do is update to 6.7

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty
            peterl36631433 Level 1

OK, so I have uninstalled LR 6.1 including removing existing preferences, reinstalled the program, validated it, updated to LR 6.7 and then imported the original LR 2 catalogue again.

The images are all there, but again the search function does not return the results that I know are in there, using 'all searchable fields' and 'contains'.

On further investigation, I find that it does work -partially.

Most of my titles are of the format aa-aaa.

So if I search for ZK-WBW I get no results.

But if I search for either ZK or WBW then I do get the results.

So it would seem that it is the symbol - that is upsetting things.

I have never had this problem before.

Is there some filter function I need to set to get the - symbol recognized?

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty
              CJWilkes Level 1

Sounds like the symbol is what is tripping it up. Will try to look into it further.

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

So if I search for ZK-WBW I get no results. But if I search for either ZK or WBW then I do get the results. So it would seem that it is the symbol - that is upsetting things.

In general, for the purposes of searching, LR treats a "-" just like a letter or number. I did a test with CC 2015.7, setting the title of a pic to "ZK-WBW".  In the filter bar, 'Any Searchable Field Contains ZK-WBW' finds the pic.

I have two hypotheses:

- What looks like a hyphen ("-") may in fact be some other unicode character that looks visually similar to a hyphen but which LR doesn't treat the same.  To test this, select a sample pic, do Metadata > Save Metadata To File. Upload the pic to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.  We can put it under the microscope and see if there's something in the Title field that's triggering the issue.

- The catalog conversion from a very old version of LR may not have properly indexed the text fields.  Select one of the problem pics, do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, then do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.  Does 'Any Searchable Field Contains title' now find the pic?

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty
                  peterl36631433 Level 1

If I add a new photograph to the lightroom catalog and name it ZK-WBW, the search then finds it.

However, if I search the imported photographs (from LR2) it does not recognize the -

There are also some where the name incorporates a / eg ZK-WBW/2, and any imported photos that use this style of name are also not found, so it apparently has not correctly imported any non-alphnumeric characters but will recognize them if directly entered now.

One older photograph exported to Dropbox as requested

Link: Dropbox - IMG_0015.jpg

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty

I checked the photo you uploaded, the "-" really is a simple ASCII hyphen (decimal code 45).  So that nixes my hypotheses that the old photos were using some other visually similar character (e.g. an en dash or em dash). 

It sure smells like the conversion from LR 2 is the culprit here.  Not all that surprising, considering how old LR 2 is.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty

Did you try the workaround I suggested previously: Select one of the problem pics, do Metadata > Save Metadata To File, then do Metadata > Read Metadata From File.  Does 'Any Searchable Field Contains title' now find the pic?

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty
                        peterl36631433 Level 1

Yes, that does seem to work.

How do I do that for 100,000+ photos?

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty

You can select multiple photos and then do Save Metadata To File followed by Read Metadata From File.

However, I recommend that you first backup your catalog (and make sure the backup worked) before trying anything en masse.  Also, you might first try 100 or so photos a time, then a thousand, then a few thousand at a time, just to make sure nothing screwy happens when you process that many photos at once.   This will take a while.

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty
                            peterl36631433 Level 1

OK, that seems to have all worked.

A bit of a slow process but got there eventually.

Thank you for your prompt and knowledgeable help.

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC Search FunctionFaulty

Glad you got it resolved.