4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 1:44 AM by Martini Peres

Hand tool moves the whole screen instead of the view

AmirKamel Level 1

I've been using photoshop for a long time and i started using after effects last month and "I KNOW" how hand tool works, but recently i tried to mess with few settings in after effects and after that whenever i try to use hand tool to change my view (for example after i zoom in) it moves the whole screen in composition tab. To help you better understand what i'm saying, think about photoshop. when you are zoomed out in photoshop, hand tool does not work. because you are already seeing everything. but now in after effects even when i'm zoomed out i can move the screen in composition tab and it's not locked and it's very annoying. And i'm not talking about moving tabs. i know how they works. my composition tab is locked in place, but screen/screens in that tab moves with hand tool.

(Sorry if i made any mistakes. My English sucks)

• 1. Re: Hand tool moves the whole screen instead of the view
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          I KNOW" how hand tool works, but recently i tried to mess with few settings in after effects and after that whenever i try to use hand tool to change my view (for example after i zoom in) it moves the whole screen in composition tab.

Ae's Hand tool and Ps's Hand tool are not exactly the same.

in Ps the pasteboard (grey area outside the canvas) is not so relevant, because you would normally won't place elements outside of the canvas - this is probably why you are locked into the content inside your canvas when you are zooming out.

in Ae the pasteboard can be very relevant because the composition frame is more of a Window through which you see your elements composited together and animated. some things fly from outside, you can have cameras and lights outside the frame and often find yourself making a setup and using with more of the grey pasteboard then the small composition dimensions. these offstage layers will be shown as rectangular outlines. guess you got some getting used to. maybe if you gave specific example of a workflow where you are bugged by this behaviour and we can take a closer look.

the composition frame can move around from time to time, but you can use shortcuts to place it in frame. Shift+/ is my favorite.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hand tool moves the whole screen instead of the view
            AmirKamel Level 1

I guess you are right. At first i thought it was something that i've done. Thanks for your help and sorry for my silly question

• 3. Re: Hand tool moves the whole screen instead of the view
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Don't be sorry! live and learn! if you feel your question has been answered please mark the response as Correct

• 4. Re: Hand tool moves the whole screen instead of the view
                Martini Peres

indeed it was a brilliant explanation, even i also had the same silly question as yours :-)