3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 12:17 AM by Roei Tzoref

Crop to a mask?

Guy Burns Level 1

In AE (CS6), can I directly crop to a mask?

This is what I do at the moment:

1. Generate the mask.
      2. Navigate to Mask > Mask Path > Shape and write down the Top and Bottom, Left and Right offsets of the Bounding Box
      3. Calculate the width and height of the mask from the offsets.
      4. Resize the composition to the width and height of the mask.
      5. Use the arrow keys to align the image (in general, the mask is not centred).

Seems a lot of work. Can AE do it in one step, or a smaller number of steps?

• 1. Re: Crop to a mask?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

You can't crop composition to to a mask natively, but you can crop to a region of interest. Select the area you want to crop using the region of interest button at the bottom of the composition window, then go to composition->crop comp to region of interest. There are  scripts that enable you to crop to masks Auto Crop - aescripts + aeplugins - aescripts.com

• 2. Re: Crop to a mask?
            Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks Roei. Two more related questions:

Ques 1

Can a mask be turned into a Region of Interest?

Ques 2

Why would Adobe have masks that cannot be cropped to? An oversight? Not a commonly used function?

• 3. Re: Crop to a mask?
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Can a mask be turned into a Region of Interest?

No, but you have the script I sent you that can crop to mask

Why would Adobe have masks that cannot be cropped to? An oversight? Not a commonly used function?

I believe so. I find crop to region of interest covers all the cases since it's a rectangular anyway. I would love to see crop to boundaries though, this could be useful... if you think this or any other feature should be available, you can submit a feature request and who knows? Feature Request/Bug Report Form