3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 9:56 AM by Rick Gerard

How to use the same timeline cuts for another layer?

andrel87286123

I have a chroma composition which has a lot of cuts, and I want the scenary to follow this cuts in another layer without showing the scenery between the cuts. How can I possible do that?

• 1. Re: How to use the same timeline cuts for another layer?
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
          I want the scenary to follow this cuts in another layer without showing the scenery between the cuts.

How about this:

1. duplicate all your layers

2. replace the layer below with your scenery layer from the project window with the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+/

• 3. Re: How to use the same timeline cuts for another layer?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure that I follow you. From the look of your timeline your comp is quite long. Assuming 5 seconds for the longest one of the layers your timeline could be about a minute an a half long and it looks like you are trying to edit a sequence in After Effects. I'm also assuming that you are trying to edit a sequence in After Effects because of your statement:

"I have a chroma composition which has a lot of cuts, and I want the scenary to follow this cuts in another layer without showing the scenery between the cuts. How can I possible do that?"

Even if it seems like a bunch of cuts in a single AE comp is a more efficient way to work it may actually be causing you a bunch of trouble. Most of my AE comps are a single shot. It's just a way more efficient way to work.

It would help if you described exactly what you are trying to do and had included at least a shot of the entire timeline with properly labeled layers. If the bottom layer is the "scenary" this is the way I would handle it if I wanted the "scenary" layer to only appear behind the layers marked in red:

fix.jpg

1. Select layer 17, 25, 28, 33, 34 while holding down the Ctrl/Cmnd key so only those layers are selected
            2. Duplicate all of those layers by pressing Ctrl/Cmnd + d
            3. Move all of the duplicates to the top of your comp by pressing Shift + Ctrl/Cmnd + ]
            4. With all of the duplicate layers locate the Switches column (F4 if it is not visible)
              Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 9.49.08 AM.png
            5. Turn off the FX switches for the duplicate layers
            6. Pre-compose the duplicate layers
            7. Place the pre-comp directly above the "scenary" layer
            8. Make the pre-comp an Alpha track matte for the "scenary" layer

Here's what needed. A copy of all of the layers that you need to use to reveal the "scenary" layer. That's why you duplicated the selected layers. Next you need  to turn off the effects that were removing the background of the selected layers so you could use them as a track matte to control the opacity of the background. That's why you turned off the effects. Next, you pre-composed so you would have one layer to act as a track matte (mask) for the "scenary" layer. You moved the pre-comp just above the scenary layer and applied a track matte. You're done.

1 person found this helpful