3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 11:58 AM by Fishbottle

Is it possible to cycle through brushes (tpls) using a script?

Fishbottle Level 1

I would like to write a script to cycle through a set of Tool Presets like this:

I run the script and it selects brush_2 then next time I run it, it selects brush_3 then next time I run it it selects brush_1 again and so on, looping like that forever, each time I run the script.

I imagine this could be done with a script if it could update a variable each time I run it (select tool preset brush_x, add 1 to x unless X>2 then x=1)

But the variable x would have to be in memory, outside of the script...is such a thing possible or do variables get reset each time you run a script?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Is it possible to cycle through brushes (tpls) using a script?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I have only seem brush tool options shown on the Photoshop tool option bar scripted thanks to Tom.  You can change brushes in a script by selecting tool Presets. Like you want to do. So A script could have a list of presets it could cycle through.   There are ways to have variables outside a script. I have use two different ways and I sure there are more.  I think I read some use some kind of Photoshop.Option you can script.   If you just need a global variable you can use a system environment  variable. If you do a search on toggle  brush it will hit some code that uses  an environment variable. If you need variables associated to documents you working on you can use document metadata.  I use documents instructions metadata fields for that.

They can be use as toggle and for storing data. Here is one I use Metadata.  CC 2015.5 has a new bug that could may not set a metadata field back to empty.  I do not use CC 2015.5 the bugs breaks several of my scripts..  It easy to program around you just need some in the metadata field like x marks the spot.  Adobe is working on a fix.

/* ======================================================================================
          // 2009  John J. McAssey (JJMack)  http://www.mouseprints.net/
          //  
          // This script is supplied as is. It is provided as freeware. 
          // The author accepts no liability for any problems arising from its use.
          //
          // This script is designed to be used by a Photoshop Action twice
          // A good pratice to use when creating an actions that use this scipt is for the action 
          // not to do a save or play some other action between its two useages of this Script.
          // 
          // The first time this script is used by an action the documents current resolution
          // and ruler units are saved into the document's meta-data Info Instructions field.
          //
          // The second time this script used by the action the script retreives what was
          // saved in the meta-data during the first usage, resolution and ruler units.
          // The document is resized to the saved resolution,
          // Photoshop's ruler units are set to saved units
          // and the saved data is removed from the document's meta-data Info Instructions field.
          //
          // ===================================================================================== */

/*
          <javascriptresource>
          <about>$$$/JavaScripts/SaveAndRestoreResolution/About=JJMack's SaveAndRestoreResolution.^r^rCopyright 2009 Mouseprints.^r^rRun twice script utility for action.^rNOTE:Don't play other actions between runs!^r^rFirst Run records Photoshop's preferences Units and documents DPI resolution.^rSecond Run restores the recorded setting and removes the recording.</about>
          <category>JJMack's Action Run Twice Utility</category>
          </javascriptresource>
          */

if (app.documents.length > 0) { 
            if (app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Resolution>") == -1 ){ // no footprint fisrt useage 
            //alert("first");
            // Retreive Document information for Foot Print 
                          var units = app.preferences.rulerUnits;
            app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS; // set ruler units to PIXELS
                          var typeunits = app.preferences.typeUnits;
            var res = app.activeDocument.resolution; 

// put footprint in metadata info instructions
            app.activeDocument.info.instructions = app.activeDocument.info.instructions + "<Units>" + units + "</Units>"  + "<Tunits>" + typeunits + "</Tunits>" + "<Resolution>" + res + "</Resolution>"; 
            //alert( "Saved ="  + "<Units>" + units + "</Units>" + "<Tunits>" + typeunits + "</Tunits>" + "<Resolution>" + res + "</Resolution>" ); 

app.preferences.rulerUnits = units; // restore ruler units
            } 
            else { 
            //alert("second");

// Retreive saved information
            unitsOffset = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Units>") + "<Units>".length;
            unitsLength = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("</Units>") -unitsOffset;
            savedUnits = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(unitsOffset, unitsLength);

tunitsOffset = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Tunits>") + "<Tunits>".length;
            tunitsLength = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("</Tunits>") -tunitsOffset;
            savedTunits = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(tunitsOffset, tunitsLength);

resOffset = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Resolution>") + "<Resolution>".length;
            resLength = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("</Resolution>") + -resOffset;
            savedResolution = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(resOffset, resLength);
            //alert("Resolution = " + savedResolution + " Units = " + savedUnits );

// Restore resolution
            app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;
            activeDocument.resizeImage(null, null, savedResolution, ResampleMethod.NONE);

// Restore ruler units 
            // I get a message Enumerated value expected if I try to use var savedUnits app.preferences.rulerUnits = savedUnits;
            // perhaps if I knew Javascript I would not need to use the following if else if ..... 
            if ( savedUnits == "Units.INCHES" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.INCHES;}
            else if ( savedUnits == "Units.CM" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.CM;}
            else if ( savedUnits == "Units.PERCENT" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PERCENT;}
            else if ( savedUnits == "Units.MM" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.MM;}
            else if ( savedUnits == "Units.PIXELS" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;}
            else if ( savedUnits == "Units.POINTS" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.POINTS;}
            else if ( savedUnits == "Units.PICAS" ){ app.preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PICAS;}

// Restore Type units 
            if ( savedTunits == "TypeUnits.PIXELS" ){ app.preferences.typeUnits = TypeUnits.PIXELS;}
            else if ( savedTunits == "TypeUnits.POINTS" ){ app.preferences.typeUnits = TypeUnits.POINTS;}
            else if ( savedTunits == "TypeUnits.MM" ){ app.preferences.typeUnits = TypeUnits.MM;}

// Remove footprint from metadata info instructions
            before = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(0,app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("<Units>"));
            afterOffset = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.indexOf("</Resolution>") + "</Resolution>".length;
            after = app.activeDocument.info.instructions.substr(afterOffset, app.activeDocument.info.instructions.length - afterOffset);
            //alert ("before = " + before + " after = " + after);
            app.activeDocument.info.instructions = before + after;
            } 
          } 
          else { alert("You must have at least one open document to run this script!"); } 

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to cycle through brushes (tpls) using a script?
            SuperMerlin Level 5

Here is an example of cycling through three brushes using thier names.

N.B. make sure brushes are selected and the brushes are loaded.

#target photoshop;
            app.bringToFront();
            main();
            function main(){
                //Name of Brushes to cycle through
            var Brushes = ['Flat Angle Left Hand Pose','Chalk 36 pixels','Triangle Pastel'];
            //Set up Photoshop to remember variables
            var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
            try{
            var desc = app.getCustomOptions ( 'toggleBrush' );
            }catch(e){
                desc.putInteger ( 0,0 );
                //this line save the variable while Photoshop is open, 
                //change false to true and it will remember next time Photoshop is opened
                app.putCustomOptions( 'toggleBrush', desc, false );
                desc = app.getCustomOptions ( 'toggleBrush' );
                }
            var brushNumber = desc.getInteger(0);
            if(brushNumber < Brushes.length){ 
            desc.putInteger ( 0, brushNumber + 1);
            }else{
                brushNumber = 0;
                desc.putInteger ( 0,1);
                }
            app.putCustomOptions( 'toggleBrush', desc, false );
            selectBrushByName(Brushes[brushNumber]);
            };
            function selectBrushByName( brushName ){
            var desc = new ActionDescriptor();
            var ref = new ActionReference();
            ref.putName( charIDToTypeID('Brsh'), brushName );
            desc.putReference( charIDToTypeID('null'), ref );
            executeAction( charIDToTypeID('slct'), desc, DialogModes.NO );
            };

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is it possible to cycle through brushes (tpls) using a script?
              Fishbottle Level 1

Thank you both for these thoughtful answers. I wasn't sure it was worth pursuing as I wasn't sure it was possible to even remember a variable after running once but from your replies it seems that's not an issue at all and it's perhaps even possible to even save it between sessions.

I am trying to figure out a way to make some brushes that look good when animating natural media, and a key part of that will be switching brushes in between drawing each frame, I wanted to make sure I was not going down a dead end road.

Thanks so much!