4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 3:12 PM by johnrellis

Lightroom Laggy

dunker56

So.. I was using a pirate copy of LR, version 4.4 perhaps or something for awhile back, basically just testing out what it can do, see if I like it before I buy etc. I have now bought the subscription service for LR and PS, however I realise now that my copy of LR (version 5, 2015.6.1 build 1083169) is laggy with my current setup. I do notice a few new tools and options that my previous version of Lightroom didn't have, but to be honest I'd rather have a more fluid non laggy LR experience with less features than what I have now.
      Thing like using the brush tool are way behind response times I was used to.

My specs are;

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz

Mainboard ModelH77 Pro4-M

16gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Microsoft Windows 8 (6.2) 64-bit

As a paying user, can I revert back to an older version of LR? Failing that, do my specs seem lacking in anyway to running current LR smoothly with no input lag? The issue could reside elsewhere (tho to be frank all my games and other software that are pretty intensive are running fine).

Cheers,

Dunker

• 1. Re: Lightroom Laggy
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

As a first troubleshooting step, uncheck the option Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor, and then verify that you have the latest graphics driver from Nvidia: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

• 2. Re: Lightroom Laggy
            dunker56 Level 1

Yes I think that helped somewhat, I unticked the 'Use Graphics Processor' and oddly it improved. I went and updated my gfx card driver as well, I may retick the box later and see if it changes the performance.
            I was also running only 2gb free space on my C: SSD, managed to free a further 6gb so I now have 8gb free space on C:, this may also have been an issue and contributed to improvement.
            I'm a bit bummed out tho if Lightroom is not using my gfx card at all to help with things, it's a semi decent gfx card and fairly newly purchased

• 3. Re: Lightroom Laggy
              dj_paige Level 9

however I realise now that my copy of LR (version 5, 2015.6.1 build 1083169) is laggy with my current setup.

Please state the exact functions or operations in Lightroom that are laggy

• 4. Re: Lightroom Laggy
                johnrellis Most Valuable Participant
                I'm a bit bummed out tho if Lightroom is not using my gfx card at all to help with things, it's a semi decent gfx card and fairly newly purchased

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 is a supported card. But the experience of most people is that, unless you have a large 4K or 5K display, the GPU provides little benefit and sometimes slows things down.