9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2017 11:12 AM by Sue Garibaldi

Adobe Sketch selection tool

Zeera Level 1

Hi all.

Im hoping you may have an answer to my question. I'm loving Adobe sketch on the iPad Pro but I have an issue. Is there a marquee/ selection tool in the application? I'm using the application to design characters and would be the icing on the cake for me if I can select -> move/ duplicate certain parts.

Im aware of the layer moving option, but that doesnt suffice unfortunately. If it cant do it, is there any other adobe paps for iPad that can? Or any other apps, but bare in mind that I love being a part of the premium Adobe ecosystem.

thanks in advance all!

Dan

• 1. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool
          Sue Garibaldi Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Daniel.

Selection and transform tools are requested often but there currently aren't any in Sketch (or Draw), as are copy & paste. I know the drawing teams know that people are hoping for the inclusion of these types of tools, but I don't know whether they will make it into the app.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any current Adobe apps that have that function. I will share your comments with the product team.

Sue.

• 2. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool
            anniew89350460 Level 1

As a workaround to this I usually duplicate my layer, erase everthing I don't want to transform, and then transform the whole layer. I agree that having a selection tool would be awesome!

2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool
              DesignDani47 Level 1

Hi Dan,

Same here. Try Notes Plus (worth the one-time low cost investmen). Has all the functionality I wish adobe apps incorporated for marquee / selecting, editing vector shapes and more, except it's designed more for handwriting than drawing, so the pen tool UX/UI is not great and limited. I use it mainly for quick concept sketching / storyboards and for general notes and journaling. Has a neat gesture feature to scratch out a word to erase—amazing UX while writing, but super frustrating when drawing, so I flip a switch in preferences when focused on drawing.

Hope that helps...

Daniel

• 4. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool
                Judgeworks Level 1

actually Procreate does an excellent job of selecting/lasso tool.

I am giving adob draw and sketch another try but it really pales in comparison to procreate. Adobe apps don't allow you to rotate your artboard (not rotating the canvas but just rotating the project without having to rotate the ipad). In procreate I can just use my fingers to rotate the entire work space so I can draw better curves.

I will try again when adobe is able to implement selection and freely rotating canvas for drawing better curves.

• 5. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool

Hi Judgeworks.

Thanks for posting.

Easier canvas rotation and a selection tool are both features that the Sketch team are considering for future versions of the app. I'll share your feedback with the product team.

Sue.

• 6. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool
                    Judgeworks Level 1

Hi Sue,

If you can get sketch & draw to do more of what procreate can do then I'd be more able to integrate sketch into my work process and flow.

Cheers

K

• 7. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool
                      cherlita Adobe Community Professional

Hi Sue,

Yes! Easier canvas rotation and selection tools would be welcome additions to Sketch. Currently I am using a workflow similar to what anniew described, which is duplicating a layer, and erasing portions (this workflow can be awkward). Thank you, Cher

• 8. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool
                        RxDesignDoc Level 1

I love the Adobe sketch pencil line... for some reason, it just feels better to do an initial sketch in pencil in here. I usually color or paint and finish in  Procreate. Now that I can erase with my finger, and am familiar with the eyedropper tool (finally) I do a lot more in Sketch. Marque selection (quick mask mode would be SOOO DOPE) and canvas rotation would be VERY WELCOME

• 9. Re: Adobe Sketch selection tool

Hi DesignDoc.

So glad you're liking Sketch. 

Both of your requests are popular ones. And actually the team is at some level of consideration for both of them. That said, I'm not sure what the timeline is for the incorporation of them... only that they will all likely make it to a future version of the app.

I know that's not much of an answer but I hope it helps a bit.

Sue.