10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2016 4:11 PM by bartoszkowalski

DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)

bartoszkowalski

Hey all, I'm having a similar problem I think to this thread, but Adobe Support asked me to create a new discussion.

Basically, DNG files from my Fuji x100T are not showing after trying to merge Fuji .RAF files. The file is created on the hard drive in the same folder as the original images, but it doesn't show in LR. Also, I cannot import them, they are greyed out and unelectable in the import dialogue. I've rolled back to LR 5 for the moment as I have a lot of merging to do, but before I did I tried replacing/resetting the preferences, changing permissions on my hard drive, and uninstalling/reinstalling with new prefs. Didn't work.

Lightroom CC (2015.6.7)
      Mac OSX El Capitan
      Fuji x100T .RAF source files.

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Merge seems to work on files I imported from a different Fuji x100T. Still cannot merge the older files, and get a dialogue on OS X that says it can't import the DNG file/s.

• 1. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Not understanding what you are doing. Did you convert the Fuji RAF files to DNG files. Are the original RAF files already in the catalog?

Are the converted DNG files using the same file name as the RAF files with just the extension changed?

LR looks at various aspects of the image to determine if it is a duplicate. Could be since the file name, the capture time and some other aspects, like being in the same folder, are the same that is why LR isn't letting you import them.

• 2. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)
            bartoszkowalski Level 1

Thanks for the insight.

The DNGs are being created when I use the Merge feature in LR. The new DNG files are visible in the Finder, they just can't be imported into LR for some reason. Even if I delete the merged DNG in the finder, a new merged file will be created in Finder by running the same Merge feature, but it won't import into LR.

The new file looks like this: DSCF6005-Pano.dng

Original files look like: DSCF6005.RAF, DSCF6004.RAF, DSCF6003.RAF

In a new twist, this works:
            1. I took the DNG file out of the current folder (Folder A) in Finder (moved to my desktop).

2. Reimported the DNG into a new destination folder in LR (Folder B) by dragging from the desktop onto LR interface (imported sucessfully)
            3. Moved the newly imported DNG from Folder B to Folder A within LR interface.

I can now see this particular DNG file. However, if I merge a new set of photos in Folder A, the resulting DNG will not import or show up in LR.

• 3. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)
              bartoszkowalski Level 1

You might be right in that LR is seeing the file in the system. Just tried to reimport from the Finder folder it already exists in, and LR told me this file already exists in this folder (and I can't select it for reimporting). The question is, why can't I see it in grid view?

• 4. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)
                Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

This is probably caused by the sort order in LR being set to Added order, in which case the merged DNG would appear as the last image in Library.

In the toolbar at the bottom of the screen (press T if you can't see it) change the sort order to File name, and the DNG should appear next to the source files.

• 5. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)
                  bartoszkowalski Level 1

Trying to merge a new set of photos results in a dialogue with this message:
                  "Failed to import the final merged result from /Volumes/Data/Pictures/Lightroom Vintage/2015/Australia 2015/DSCF6012-Pano.dng."

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 3.34.15 PM.png

Then if I go to finder, find the merged DNG in amongst the original .RAF files and try reimport it, LR tells me it's already imported:

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 3.38.23 PM.png

But if I sort by name in grid view, looking for "DSCF6012-Pano.dng", the file LR thinks has been imported is nowhere to be found:

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 3.40.56 PM.png

…so I don't know what's going on, and why it won't show these merged files until I manually removed them from Finder, reimport them into a new folder, then move them back with the originals within LR.

• 6. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)

Then they are Merged to HDR or Panoramas. In that case they are auto imported into the catalog. They are there in your catalog but because of either the Sort order setting or you are in a collection, and the Merged images aren't being auto added to that collection, you just aren't automatically seeing them next to the original images.

• 7. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)
                      bartoszkowalski Level 1

No, I can change the sort order and they don't appear anywhere; not by name (next to original files), nor my date added (at the end of the catalogue). Also, I'm not in a collection.

Now:
                      1. I've straight up duplicated the whole folder of images on my hard drive, then deleted the original folder and removed the reference to it from LR. So it doesn't exist in LR.

2. Reimported as if it were a brand new set of images. They imported fine, including the DNGs created from before, and I can see each image as expected. I even moved the new folder of images into the previous folder inside LR and that was ok.

3. Here's the new twist: When I tried a new merge action, the file is created, but LR made up a new intense of that hard drive and folder path in the folders panel with just that new merged file. Super-weird.

Below is a screen grab showing both instances of the same folder (new instance is on top). however, when I try to see the parent of "2015", which we can see below is called "Lightroom Vintage", it shows this error. As if LR cannot read that parent folder, even though I can see it in the bottom instance.

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 4.13.15 PM.png

This is not normal, right?
                      I'm hoping the error can shed some light on what's actually happening.

• 8. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)
                        Per Berntsen Adobe Community Professional

Try resetting your preferences.

Click the shortcut to launch Lightroom, and immediately press and hold Alt+Shift.

Click Yes in the confirmation dialog.

• 9. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)

I think both the errors you are getting and have posted screen shots of are permissions problems. Check the permissions on the folder to make sure your username has full control, AKA Read and Write permissions.

• 10. Re: DNG files not importing/showing in library (Fuji x100T source)
                            bartoszkowalski Level 1

Resetting preferences didn't help.

My permissions were set correctly (read and write for myself). I went back to the top-level and hit "apply to all enclosed items" just to make sure. Restarted and still have the same problem.

So…

I started a new catalogue and reimported the whole troublesome folder from scratch. I can now do the merged action and the image is readable by LR. So, this confirms it's not a permissions/disk issue.

Then…

I opened a backup of the catalogue months before this issue appeared. That catalogue *has* the problem. so, could it be some sort of corrupt catalogue? If so, is there any way I can save and re-import all my start ratings, adjustments etc from a previous catalogue to the clean new one I've created?