23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2016 8:05 AM by trshaner

Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!

brendana66269072

I tried to right click and rename a folder just to ALL CAPITALS of the same name on the left side menu. I believe I started to type then when I hit enter it glitched out and showed the files were now unlinked / missing.

I looked for the folder and its nowhere to be found, I looked through the finder and no where to be found, I looked for a specific file name for a .CR2 file and no where to be found, nothing in the trash bin. Nothing ANYWHERE
      I think when I started using lightroom this happened as well. Basically I have lost 300 Concert photos of big bands from my work.

This is a seriously horrible glitch and I may not have them anywhere else. How can Lightroom have a bug that vaporizes your photos???
      I am at a loss for words on how insanley bad that is. It's going to cost me money and shows I might lose more in the future

What is going on??

• 1. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
          BKKDon Level 4

Lightroom doesn't delete files, unless you explicitly ask it too, and never deletes folders.

Try and find the renamed folder in finder then re-link it.

See: How to find missing photos in Photoshop Lightroom

• 2. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
            Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Take one of the image names that now appear to be missing and do a search with the File Manager Search system for your operating system. Note the exact folder name and the PATH to that folder. Then do the above to re-link the images to the catalog.

• 3. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
              brendana66269072 Level 1

Appreciate the reply but It did delete without asking and it's not a re linking problem. The folder does not exist on the drive anywhere
              This is the second time it's happened as well.

Trust me I know what I am talking about. I have dealt with files and operating systems everyday since like 1995.  It's gone and it was a glitch.

• 4. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                brendana66269072 Level 1

Hey Just Shoot Me, as I mentioned in my post, I did a search for file names of RAW files on my hard drive and none of them exist.
                there is not trace of the fold or files on my drive and all I tried to do was to rename the folder.

• 5. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you created a backup strategy that enables you to backup your files and folders? I'm not talking about the backup feature in Lightroom. That feature only backs up the catalog. But I'm talking about a process that enables you to have all of your files and folders backed up on a regular basis. There are free utilities that allow you to do such backups. I use one from EaseUs that I run on a weekly basis that backs up all of my image folders and on a monthly basis backs up my entire operating system. If I ever encounter an issue like you are facing I can always turn to one of these backups to recover lost files.

• 6. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                    dj_paige Level 9

brendana66269072 wrote:

Appreciate the reply but It did delete without asking and it's not a re linking problem. The folder does not exist on the drive anywhere
                    This is the second time it's happened as well.

Trust me I know what I am talking about. I have dealt with files and operating systems everyday since like 1995. It's gone and it was a glitch.

Perhaps you have accidentally moved the folder. We have all mis-clicked the mouse at one time or another. I remember several times I have accidentally moved a folder by doing this.

Please search for the folder, or one of the files, using your operating system's search feature.

I agree with the others, Lightroom does not delete photos or folders on it's own.

• 7. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                      brendana66269072 Level 1

I hear ya, I am going to be more on top of it and I possibly have these files on a drive back at a different location.

It should never happen in the first place though, its pretty scary that it'll delete files, vaporize them from existence just trying to rename a folder. Most people will say its impossible but that is what has happened.

• 8. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                        brendana66269072 Level 1

As I have mentioned a few times already, I have searched for ANY trace of the folder and any files and they have vanished from the drive.  I am a professional ewb and graphic designer and am used to finding files, these are gone.

• 9. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                          brendana66269072 Level 1

So I talked to tech support for about two hours going through everything. They took remote control of my computer and found that if they just COPIED a folder that was linked in lightroom and put it somewhere else on the drive it actually removed it from lightroom and deleted that copy from my drive. o something crazy is going on.

I am waiting to hear back currently.

• 10. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                            dj_paige Level 9

Sounds similar (or identical to) this bug, which Adobe claims they could never reproduce.

• 11. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                              brendana66269072 Level 1

Looks pretty damn similar yes. they found that one while looking for my original issue. Kinda scary when copying a folder to back it up deletes the original.

• 12. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                dj_paige Level 9

Kinda scary when copying a folder to back it up deletes the original.

I'm still not sure I understand you.

There is no way to copy photos in Lightroom. You can however MOVE photos in Lightroom, is that what you mean? A move is supposed to delete the 'original' after a copy has been made in another location.

You also can't use Lightroom to make backups of photos after you import them.

The advice I give (and others give as well) is not to perform MOVEs of large number of photos in Lightroom. Always do this move in the operating system, and then in Lightroom, you need to re-connect to the photos.

• 13. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                  brendana66269072 Level 1

The person that remotely took over my computer went into the FINDER folders not lightroom and just hit COPY and then pasted on the desktop and it deleted the original folder. None of that was done in Lightroom.

• 14. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                    dj_paige Level 9

brendana66269072 wrote:

The person that remotely took over my computer went into the FINDER folders not lightroom and just hit COPY and then pasted on the desktop and it deleted the original folder. None of that was done in Lightroom.

Ok, I misunderstood you, but then how is it the same/similar problem as the one I linked to above?

• 15. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                      brendana66269072 Level 1

It shows that whether you are in or out of lightroom, when you try to move folders that are LINKED to lightroom in some way. it might delete them.

Either IN lightroom or in the Finder.

• 16. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                        trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

brendana66269072 wrote:

Then it's obvious this is an OS X issue and not caused by Lightroom. Why don't you try it for yourself with Lightroom closed as outlined at the below link.

Drag & Drop from one Finder window to another Finder window is a 'Move' command, which will remove the folder from its current location into the new location. If you hold down the Option key then it becomes a 'Copy' command.

Drag & Drop from a your system drive to a different drive (2nd internal drive or external drive) is a 'Copy' command. If you hold down the Command key then it becomes a 'Move' command.

How to copy files on Mac OS X | alvinalexander.com

• 17. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                          brendana66269072 Level 1

Hey, no it's not a OS issue. I don't want to come across rudely and I know you don;t know my history but.. you are trying to tell me how basic computer copy / paste move commands work. I've known that for decades literally, I have worked with file management for 20 years almost everyday.

If you read the other posts you would see the only time files were affected were when they were linked to Lightroom.

Its absolutely a Lightroom issue. Adobe support is trying to help figure it out.

• 18. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!

brendana66269072 wrote:

Hey, no it's not a OS issue. I don't want to come across rudely and I know you don;t know my history but.. you are trying to tell me how basic computer copy / paste move commands work. I've known that for decades literally, I have worked with file management for 20 years almost everyday.

I don't mean to come across as rude either. When trying to assist users with issues it's all about asking questions and providing suggestions to determine the root cause and a solution. There's no way other users on this forum can determine your level of knowledge and experience without asking questions.  So now we know you are an "expert" in OS X file management. I ask the question again, please try a folder Copy & Paste using Finder for yourself same as did the Adobe Tech Support person. Before trying this please backup your LR catalog file and all your picture folders so that you can easily restore them if something is deleted.

Please let us know your results.

brendana66269072 wrote:

If you read the other posts you would see the only time files were affected were when they were linked to Lightroom.

Its absolutely a Lightroom issue. Adobe support is trying to help figure it out.

The file and folder "linking" LR uses is an entry into it's catalog database file. The OS X file management system does not use or access the LR database file. They are completely independent from each other. If you Move, Delete, or Rename a file or folder using Finder a ! symbol will appear on the thumbnail and a ? symbol on the folder inside LR. You have the option (right-click) of Locating or Finding the file or folder to Locate and relink it, or Remove it. If you choose Remove the entry in the LR Catalog database file is removed and nothing else.

Please keep us updated with Adobe Tech Support's findings so we can provide further assistance if necessary.

• 19. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                              brendana66269072 Level 1

First of all I said my experience within the first couple posts here and seems apparent reading my posts.. anyway.

Backing up my folders before trying is doing the same thing as trying it as I need to copy folders to back up. I can try exporting from Lightroom first.

What you are telling me in the second part is the normal behavior of Lightroom. I understand that, this issue is not something I am doing, They communicate with each other or you could not create a folder from inside lightroom. it's a bug or some crazy unintended behavior. *** my main issue in the first place is that Lightroom vaporized 300 pics when I just tried to rename a folder in Lightroom. they did not get mis named and unlinked. They VAPORIZED completely from existance ***. Everyone wants to tell me how Lightroom doesnt work that way over and over etc and obivuosly that would not be an intended behavior.... but that is what it did.

I copy and paste all day etc... and have never had anything remotely similar happen.

• 20. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!

brendana66269072 wrote:

I copy and paste all day etc... and have never had anything remotely similar happen.

In your reply #13 you said:

"The person that remotely took over my computer went into the FINDER folders not lightroom and just hit COPY and then pasted on the desktop and it deleted the original folder. None of that was done in Lightroom."

So something similar has happened.

I can only provide trouble-shooting suggestions and it's totally up to you to try them or not try them. The point being there appears to be something wrong with your system. A Copy & Paste of a folder using Finder should not delete the folder from your hard drive and Trash bin. Let's wait to hear back from Adobe Tech Support and see what they find.

• 21. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                                  brendana66269072 Level 1

Are you serious?  I'm not sure you even know what you are typing at this point. you are quoting the event that was the ONLY event that has ever done that and using it as an example of it happening before. You get that right?

This ONE time the problem. it's only happened once.

And for the love of god, please stop telling me what the OS / Lightroom should NOT do.  I KNOW.. lol.

Yes, I think I'll wait and deal with them from now on.  I know you are trying but I don't think you are able to help me.

• 22. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!
                                                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Going back to your original problem/question.

When you started typing exactly how many character had you typed before you accidentally hit the Enter/Return key?

And what exact characters did you type? Please give the name of the folder you were trying to change to all Caps. Did the first character key fall near a key that can't be used in a folder or file name?

LR, as myself and others have pointed out numerous times, does not delete folders. But that doesn't mean that if you typed an illegal character then hit the enter key the folder then had no name at all or the OS just Deleted the folder altogether.

• 23. Re: Lightroom Deleted my folders and files!

brendana66269072 wrote:

Yes, I think I'll wait and deal with them from now on. I know you are trying but I don't think you are able to help me.

Agreed.

Please let us know what Adobe Tech Support determines is the solution. That will help others who land here with the same issue.