1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 25, 2016 6:01 AM by rob day

InDesign changing appearance/colour settings of images

Dr_Grant

Hi all,

I'm having a very frustrating issue with InDesign and can see nothing about it on the internet, hopefully someone here can help.

I'm running InDesign CC 2015 (11.4.1.102) on a MacBook Pro.

I design and publish a 48 page independent magazine and, whilst working on the latest issue, noticed that InDesign had started affecting the appearance of some of my images, essentially giving them what appears to be a green-ish hue, examples below, original top, InDesign version below:

Original.png

InDesign version.png

Obviously this is far from ideal! I've created three issues in the past and never had this problem before, I've also opened up our previous issues and this issue has not affected them now suggesting it's not the current version of InDesign or a system wide setting.

Also, it's not just in InDesign, when exported to a PDF the images display as they do in the second (unwanted) InDesign image above.

I found that I had some success by changing the picture's 'Image Colour Settings' in the Object menu from 'Use Document Default' to 'ProPhoto RGB' - which seems to fix the issue, at least temporarily. However, I've noticed that some of the images on which I have changed this setting have since reset to the 'greenish' hue above despite still having the 'ProPhoto RGB' setting selected.

Irrelevant of the frustrations of why the appearance seems to change somewhat arbitrarily, it seems mad to me that I'd need to go and change the colour settings on every image in the magazine, particularly given I've never had to do this before.

Presumably, given that the original option is 'Use Document Default' I need to change the default colour mode of the document but I'm not sure how to do this and, again, I've never had to do it before.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated - it's driving me mad!

Thanks all

• 1. Re: InDesign changing appearance/colour settings of images
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I need to change the default colour mode of the document but I'm not sure how to do this and, again, I've never had to do it before.

Edit>Assign Profiles>RGB Profile>Assign Profile>ProPhoto RGB

It looks like your original image is RGB and has the ProPhoto RGB profile embedded, the profile is being ignored when you place the image in InDesign, so the InDesign RGB assignment is being used. If there's no assignment the Color Settings' Working RGB profile is used and it is probably sRGB.

So I can replicate your problem in Photoshop by duplicating your image with ProPhoto embedded and assigning (not converting to) sRGB. The change in color is expected when assigning sRGB, which has a considerably smaller color gamut than ProPhoto:

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 8.37.21 AM.png

If I place the ProPhoto image in an InDesign document that is setup to ignore assigned RGB profiles the color is going to change depending on the working RGB profile currently setup in Color Settings.

For example if you were to set InDesign's Color Settings' RGB Color Management Policy to Off, any new documents would have no RGB profile assigned and placed RGB images would have their profiles ignored. Same would happen if you were to set Color Settings to Emulate InDesign 2.0 CMS Off.

1 person found this helpful