15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2016 5:04 PM by RadCap

How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?

Michael Pancier Photo Level 1

I took about 29 DNG images with LR Mobile on my iphone 7+.  Only 4 of the images have synced to the computer. Is there a way I can simply import those images into lightroom?  I can't seem to be able to access the remaining 25 images which are in the LR Mobile roll.

Thanks

Michael

• 1. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

They should just Sync. Check if they are on lightroom.adobe.com (have to logon with your CC account). If not, tap on the little cloud icon on your iPhone and see if they are syncing. You might have to kill the Lightroom app (double tap the home button and flick the app upwards) and restart it. Also, these are large files, it simply might take a while to upload them. If they are on Lightroom.adobe.com than it's your desktop that is not syncing. There again, it is a question of pausing the sync and restarting it.

If you can't get this to work, you should be able to save the dngs to the phone's film roll from LR/mobile and than they should be synced through iCloud to Photos or to the Windows equivalent.

• 2. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
            RadCap

I have the same problem.  They do NOT "just sync".  And apparently this is a problem which has existed for a couple years now (as evidenced by google searches into the topic).  There doesn't appear to be any reliable solution to this ongoing problem either.  As such, I'm looking for a means of getting the dng files directly.  So far I haven't found one.

If anyone knows an app that can access the files directly, that would be greatly appreciated.

As to saving the dngs to the phone's film roll, that is not possible.  They are converted to jpgs when one does that.  The dngs are NOT transferred.

• 3. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?

If anyone knows an app that can access the files directly, that would be greatly appreciated.

It's not possible. The file store is encrypted and inaccessible from other apps.

Again. First check if the files are ending up on http://lightroom.adobe.com. If they are not there, kill the lightroom app on your phone (double click the home button, swipe the lightroom app up). Make sure you are on a reliable wifi connection. Restart the Lightroom app. Tap on the little cloud in the left top of the display. See if it says something like "Uploading x pending". Wait until the upload is complete. This can take a long time as these dng files are quite large and most people have very slow upload connections.

I wish you could download the dngs through your web browser from lightroom.adobe.com but unfortunately Adobe did not enable that.

If this was not the problem (i.e. they are all on lightroom.adobe.com), go to your desktop Lightroom and check the sync status. It should show you it is downloading files and you should see them getting downloaded into Lightroom. If this doesn't happen let us know because then it becomes question of signing out and back into creative cloud.

P.S. I shoot raw on my iPhone using ProCam. It saves dngs to the filmroll and from there you can easily add to Lightroom.

• 4. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
                RadCap Level 1

The problem persists.  But your suggestion about ProCam should resolve the issue.  Thank you.  So long I can have access to my future RAW files - ie can download them directly from my iphone to my computer - I can save them (and edit them) with no issue. 

It's a shame Adobe has chosen to purposefully make their product difficult to use.  As the ProCam demonstrates, Adobe could make dngs easily accessible and available in the Camera Roll.  There is NO need to go through Adobe's hoops of uploading to a cloud or dealing with Adobe's crappy transfer software.  That Adobe willfully forces customers through horrid transfer issues (that have existed for years apparently) demonstrates a complete lack of concern for the customer.  Learning that their behavior is intentional, I will no longer even try to use Lightroom - not even for editing on ANY platform.

They just lost a customer.

• 5. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
                  RadCap Level 1

Turns out ProCam is NOT a good solution.  Like a couple other programs, its Raw file saves at low resolution (852x640) rather than the normal resolution (4032x3024).

• 6. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?

I can save full resolution raw to my filmroll with ProCam without any issue. Not sure why you can't. It works really well. I don't have to do anything for it. I just shoot in raw mode with it and all the files end up on the filmroll by themselves in dang full resolution.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
                      RadCap Level 1

Hmm - Turns out there are a couple ProCam apps in the store.  Which one are you using?  ProCam 4 by Samer Azzam, ProCam by Merlin Digital, ProCamera by cocologics - or something else?

• 8. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?

Didn’t realize that. What I have appears to be "ProCam 4 - Manual Camera + RAW”. It’s great. Gives you full control over the exposure and focus and saves to raw, tiff, HDR jpeg, can do exposure brackets, etc.

• 9. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
                          RadCap Level 1

I paid the five bucks based on what you said, but it still comes out the same reduced dimensions.  You claim yours are 4032x3024?  Where exactly are you seeing that information?  Because the Camera Roll doesn't tell you the resolution.  Or were you just assuming that because it is RAW (ie dng) it is automatically the higher resolution?  Because that is not true.  So far only LR saves the dng files with the 4032x3024 dimensions.

• 10. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?

I can just open the dng files on my Mac (the film roll automatically syncs through iCloud) and on my iPad in Lightroom mobile where it shows the dimensions after importing from the camera roll. It shows the little raw icon when I do that.

• 11. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
                              RadCap Level 1

Interesting.  When going to info inside ProCam, it states the dimensions of the RAW photos are 4032.  But, whether emailed or transferred directly to computer, the dimensions are identified as 640.  Only LR files show at the normal dimensions on the computer.  However, when you open the 640 files in photoshop on the comp, the dimensions read 4032 there.  So either there is some coding mischief going on or there is a major encoding bug related to more than one of these RAW camera apps which cause them to be read improperly.

• 12. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?

Hmm, I see nothing wrong with these files. Here is a screenshot from Photos in Mac OS 10.12. I took the image in ProCam on my iPhone and it synced to my Mac. In Photos I had to do Edit->Image->Use Raw as Original to make sure it showed the raw instead of a jpeg preview - hence the small R in the left top. By default it shows the jpeg preview apparently.

Raw in Photos.jpeg

This is the same image, shot using ProCam and imported into Lightroom mobile on my phone and synced to my Desktop Lightroom:

in Lightroom.jpeg

Interestingly the color is more correct in Photos than in Lightroom (the shirt is not that orange!) but the file clearly comes in correctly.

• 13. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
                                  RadCap Level 1

"Hmm, I see nothing wrong with these files."

It has to be something in the coding which we cannot see.  For some reason the metadata is being written or read improperly.  The difference between us is I'm using Win10 not Mac 10.  And something is causing Win10 to see the non-LR files as 640.  Interestingly a few of the iphone apps also show 640 in the apps themselves - for instance 500px Raw.  So I'm inclined to say this is a dng coding bug (shared by multiple apps) rather than a Windows code reading bug - particularly since Win10 does read the LR files with the correct dimensions.

• 14. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?

Oh Windows 10. I would not trust what you see in there as I would be surprised the libraries there already got updated to support dng files from iPhones. It likely only shows you the low res icon preview from the file. Similar with third party apps on your phone. There is no native library support for raw editing on iPhones so you need to have apps that support it themselves and they need to have received an update to support dng files. The 500px app likely did not get that update. I took a look at one of the dng files and I can't see any problem. The dimensions are correctly indicated in the metadata and it looks like a standard dng file to me and indeed Lightroom and photoshop deal with them no problem. There could be a problem that I am just not aware of though but I would suspect it is Windows at fault.

• 15. Re: How to Import LR Mobile Raw Files from iPhone 7+ into LR CC?
                                      RadCap Level 1

"Oh Windows 10. I would not trust what you see in there as I would be surprised the libraries there already got updated to support dng files from iPhones."

If the problem were with the libraries, then the LR dng files would be read improperly by Win10 as well.  They are not - which indicates the problem is the way the code in the other dng files are being written (and accounts for why some of those apps actually show 640 as well).  Given that they are, as you point out, third party apps, it is likely they share some common code (not having the deep pockets of Adobe to afford to create their own code).  LR, being Adobe, does its own proprietary coding (and its dng codes  are the ones used by Apple itself for its RAW).  As such, LR would not share the code common to the other apps and thus would not share in the common error - as in fact it does not.

LR being read properly by Win10, and some apps themselves showing 640 suggests the problem is with the code in the third party apps and how it writes the dng files.

Regardless, the problem is resolved because it appears to be essentially a data transcription error which doesn't impact the image itself as far as I can tell.