8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2016 12:13 AM by mpovedano

macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7

mpovedano Level 1

Hi all,

I used to import Live Photos by checking on the "Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate photos" dialog in the General Settings of the program. Thay way, I could import both the photo and embedded video into Lr.

However, after updating to MacOS Sierra /IOS 10, Lr (2015.7) only recognizes the .jpeg files. It seems that Live Photos are now handled internally in a different way...

Anyone having the same issue?

Thanks,

Miguel Povedano

• 1. Re: macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi mpovedano,

Please share the screenshot for the problem.

Also, you can reset the Lightroom preferences back to default and check if that helps.

refer: Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom CC and 6

Regards,

Mohit

• 2. Re: macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7
            mpovedano Level 1

Mohit, thanks for your answer.

Will share the screenshoot ASAP.

Anyway, the problem is that previous to macOS Sierra and Lr 2015.7, having the "Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate photos" option in the General Setting checked on, both photo and video of an Apple Live Photo could be imported, buy now, the import window only shows the photo, not the video.

Thanks and BR,

M

• 3. Re: macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7
              mpovedano Level 1

It seems that after the OS/iOS updates, Live Photos are handled in a different way that Lr is still not aware of.

Previous to the updates, the Image Capture app showed both the photo and the video file independently (each one could be selected individually). Now, only the photo file is showed in the app interface. However, when it is imported, both the photo and video files are imported to the destination folder.

I believe this is the main reason why the video file embedded to the Live Photo cannot be imported through the Lr import dialogue.

• 4. Re: macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7
                powderizedbookworm

How are you importing them into Lightroom?

I use macOS Sierra and use Lightroom 6.3:  if I use the "Export Unmodified Originals" command from the "Photos" application, I end up with matched .jpg and .mov files. If I import them into Lightroom with the "Treat JPEGs as separate files" preference on, it will import them as expected, with separated .mov and .jpg files.

• 5. Re: macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7
                  mpovedano Level 1

Previous to the iOs 10, macOS Sierra & Lr 2015.7 updates (all my software is fully updated), used to import them through the "Treat JPEGs as separate files" method. It worked fine and It was a straight forward method (no turn arounds importing first into Photos, exporting and importing then into Lr).

Now, after the updates, this method does not work anymore (at least for me). The method that works for me at this moment:

1. Import from the iPhone to my HD through the "Image Capture" app (in the app interface only the photo file is shown. However, when it is imported, both photo and video files are imported to the destination folder).

2. Import the photo and video files into Lr.

The previous method was fastest, not only because it was just one step, but also because Lr recognized what files were previously imported, so you do not have to be guessing the last file imported (the Image Capture app does not so you have to select the files one by one) .  

• 6. Re: macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7
                    powderizedbookworm Level 1

You might try using Photos like I do if nothing else works. If you turn on Photostream they will end up there automatically, and from there exporting to the desktop and importing into Lightroom shouldn't take long. It does detect duplicates this way.

• 7. Re: macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7
                      marca38301721

Thanks for this tip.  Is there anything special you need to do when importing the photos into LR after importing them from the iPhone using Image Capture?  Any setting you need to turn on like the "treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate photos" one that other posts in this thread refer?  Also, if you do need to turn that setting on, where do you find it?  I couldn't find it.  Thanks!

• 8. Re: macOS Sierra/iOS 10 Live Photos + Lr 2015.7
                        mpovedano Level 1

You do not need to do anything. Just import the photos/videos into Lr from the folder.

"Treat JPEG files next to RAW files as separate photos" is in Peferences/General Settings. However, this option is not working anymore with Live Photos, at least in last macOS/Lr software updates.