3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2016 10:22 AM by dj_paige

Some imported photos not appearing in Catalog

willyh24934157

I wanted to transfer my photos from a PC's internal drive to a NAS and start using LR and Catalog on a Mac.  So, I copied all of my photos from the PC to an external drive (using Windows explorer/file manager) that I then brought over to my Mac and used LR on the Mac to import from the external drive to the NAS (WD My Cloud).  I chose the "Copy" option and not to bring in duplicates.  It took hours to import ~48,000 photos but appeared to go well.  They were neatly transferred by LR onto a new folder on the NAS, with subfolders by date.

It looked great and I thought all was well when I decided to find one of my favorite old pictures.  It was not in the catalog but in the Finder I found it was on the NAS where expected.  So, LR did copy the file onto the NAS, but for some reason didn't add it to the Catalog.  Looking further at the particular folder, I saw there were about ~305 images on the NAS drive but only 258 in LR so apparently about 50 items from that folder were transferred but not put into LR.  I checked a couple of nearby folders and saw that several of them also had missing images while others did not.

I tried to Import again, this time using "Add" rather than "Copy" from the NAS drive and avoiding duplicates.  I was hoping it would bring into LR the photos that were copied on to the NAS but not brought into LR.  LR identified 571 photos and appeared to import them correctly this time.  I guess 571 missed out of ~48,000 isn't a terrible ratio, but it happened to include some favorites and really any missed photos should be cause for concern.

It was disconcerting because if I hadn't happened to look for a random favorite file in the Catalog, I wouldn't have known it wasn't there.  Is there a reason that LR would "import" it by copying it into the destination folder but not import it into the catalog?  Is there a way to identify which photos are skipped (other than attempting to reimport as I did)?

Also, since I don't know for sure if indeed all of the images were copied from the external drive to the NAS, how can I double check.  I thought about looking at the file count, but that wouldn't take into account any duplicates that might not have been imported.

If I have to, I'm open to deleting the files off the NAS, deleting the catalog, and starting the import over from scratch if there's something I should do differently next time.

I'm using the current version of LR CC,  2015.7.

• 1. Re: Some imported photos not appearing in Catalog
          dj_paige Level 9

It was disconcerting because if I hadn't happened to look for a random favorite file in the Catalog, I wouldn't have known it wasn't there.  Is there a reason that LR would "import" it by copying it into the destination folder but not import it into the catalog?  Is there a way to identify which photos are skipped (other than attempting to reimport as I did)?

I can think of two possible reasons (and there may be others) for photos to not be imported in this situation

1. The photo is a duplicate
          2. The photo is not a recognized file type

How can you identify skipped photos? The obvious (but tedious) way is to compare the number of files imported in each folder in Lightroom to the number of photos in the same folder in your operating system. I am not aware of an automated way to do this.

• 2. Re: Some imported photos not appearing in Catalog
            willyh24934157 Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions dj_paige, but:

1.  It doesn't appear to be a duplicate because:

a. Though there were several other files with the same name, there was no other version of this particular file in the Catalog.

b. The second attempt to import from the destination folders did find it and import it.

2.  I don't think it's an unrecognized photo type because it is a .JPG.

I guess what I'm wondering is, is LR import reliable or should I look for an alternative (suggestions)?  Maybe I just got unlucky and this initial import was a one-time problem due to the initial large size and the problem won't recur?  Or, I did it incorrectly and someone can point out how to avoid the error in the future?

• 3. Re: Some imported photos not appearing in Catalog
              dj_paige Level 9

I don't really know the answer, while you should be able to find all 48,000 images when you import with no exception, I can't say if the problem was Lightroom or some other factor.