8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2016 10:03 AM by gkaiseril

Custom dynamic stamp

Quiry

I am using Acrobat Pro DC on a Mac and I do not know anything about scripting. I would like to create a custom dynamic stamp that includes time and date. I found Thom Parker's "The Acrobat JavaScript Console (Your best friend for developing Acrobat JavaScript)". Following his instructions, I enter   app.getPath("app", "stamps")   in the console I get  /MacintoshHD/Applications/Adobe Acrobat DC/Adobe Acrobat.app/Contents/Plugins/Comments.acroplugin/Contents/Resources/Stamps/.  His instructions then say I should access the directory. My problem is that I do not know how to access the directory - any assistance will be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Custom dynamic stamp
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

When you get to the "Adobe Acrobat.app" file in Finder, right-click and select: Show Package Contents

• 2. Re: Custom dynamic stamp
            Quiry Level 1

Thanks!

I did that and followed through to /Stamps/ . The ENU folder has six PDFs; the one labeled "Dynamic.pdf", when opened, shows six standard dynamic "stamps" but not the four custom stamp PDFs I created which I wish to modify. Is the ENU folder the wrong folder?

• 3. Re: Custom dynamic stamp
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This is the folder of the app stamps. To find the user stamps open the JS Console in Acrobat (Cmd+J), paste this code into it and then press Shift+Enter and it should be printed out:

app.getPath("user", "stamps");

• 4. Re: Custom dynamic stamp
                Quiry Level 1

What comes up in the JS Console is:

/MacintoshHD/Users/administrator/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/DC/Stamps/

Apple, however, has not placed a Library folder under administrator in OS X (nor has it done so for the last few versions of the OS). To find it, you have to select "Go To Folder" under Go in the menu bar, enter "~/Library" and hit Enter.

I have done this and found the PDF for the four stamps to which I want to add fields that will show time and date automatically when one of these stamps is used on a PDF. In Acrobat Pro DC, how do I add these fields (I can find various instructions online for earlier versions of Acrobat but not for Acrobat Pro DC)?

• 5. Re: Custom dynamic stamp
                  George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Begin by opening the stamp PDF and then select: Tools > Prepare Form

to go into form editing mode, but don't select the "This form requires signatures" check box. If you have keyboard acellerators enabled in preferences, you can simply press the A key to enter/exit form editing mode.

• 6. Re: Custom dynamic stamp
                    Karl Heinz Kremer Adobe Community Professional

There is a simpler way to get to a user's Library folder: When in the Finder, go to the "Go" menu and hold down the option (or Alt)  key - this will show the Library menu item. You can now select it from the list and your Finder window will show the contents of the Library folder.

• 7. Re: Custom dynamic stamp
                      Quiry Level 1

Thanks!

I am able to locate the PDF for the four stamps to which I want to add fields that will show time and date automatically when one of these stamps is used on a PDF. I to go into form editing mode (but do not see the "This form requires signatures" check box). Am I correct in believing that I then add a text field? If so, where do find a script, and how do I access it, time and date?

• 8. Re: Custom dynamic stamp
                        gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I would open the stamp PDF file with Acrobat and then save it in a new or different directory changing the name of the file so you do not change the Adobe provided stamp.

No open the "Prepare Form" tool and you should see the various fields for the stamp. You can then edit the fields just like any PDF form. You can use the right mouse click to bring up the context menu and then select the "Properties" option. This will open  a new window with several tabs. Select the one labeled "Calculation" and you should the needed script in the "Custom JavaScript calculation" section (option). I do not think you need a signature for a custom stamp. You might use an image of a signature in a stamp. Usually adding a signature to a PDF form is form signing and locking the entire from from changes.