6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2017 11:26 PM by iwaddo77

Lightroom 5: How do I delete a folder?

rkbroder

How do I add photos to an existing folder? Whenever I try to do it, it creates a sub-folder, which I do not want.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5: How do I delete a folder?
          dj_paige Level 9

Move (not Copy) photos to a folder: drag and drop

Delete a folder: right-click on it, select Delete

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Lightroom 5: How do I delete a folder?
            Abambo Adobe Community Professional

How do you proceed? give screen shots.

By default, you import photos into a base directory, which creates a directory with the current year as name and then creates a directory with the shooting date. There it puts the imported pictures. If the directories exist, the files are only added.

If however you change the base directory, a new year/date structure is created, even if it exists in the old directory tree. LR can hide the base directory path, so you may have the impression, that a directory exists twice in the tree.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5: How do I delete a folder?
              Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

rkbroder wrote:

How do I add photos to an existing folder? Whenever I try to do it, it creates a sub-folder, which I do not want.

This is a setting in the Import dialog window in the Destination area. Look at and read all the options that are available in that area. Select the ones you want, don't select the ones you don't want.

Destination Area Into Subfolder.PNG

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5: How do I delete a folder?
                rkbroder Level 1

Thank you. However, when I right click to delete a folder, I get a message below. Can I completely remove the folder?Untitled.png

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5: How do I delete a folder?
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR doesn't Delete folders, IIRC, it only removes them from the catalog. To completely remove a folder from your hard drive and the LR catalog first remove it from LR then using your operating systems file manager delete it. NOTE that using the file manager will also delete all images, files, inside of that folder. That is why you should first remove it from the LR catalog.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5: How do I delete a folder?
                    iwaddo77 Level 1

"LR doesn't Delete folders, IIRC, it only removes them from the catalog." Is no longer a valid statement as in my experience LR does delete the folder from the disk if the folder is empty.

I've searched the manual which also states that LR will not delete the folder from the disk. What is the best way to get Adobe to amend the manual, as it should say, 'unless the folder on the disk is empty'.

I'm not sure which behaviour users will prefer but for me this exactly what I wanted to happen.

How to create and manage folders in Photoshop Lightroom

Delete folders

• In the Folders panel of the Library module, select one or more folders and click the Minus icon (-). Or, right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac OS) and choose Remove.

•  

Click Continue in the dialog box.

The folder and its photos are removed from the catalog and the Folders panel. The original folder and photos are not deleted from the hard drive.