8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 2:38 PM by birdcalls

How do I find and replace "lost" files?

birdcalls

After having worked successfully in Elements Premiere for a year I suddenly have had a number of photo files in my catalog being replaced with a ? image.  Clicking on that image directs me to "find file."  --- which, after a few minutes of searching does not locate it.  Every time I attempt to do anything in Organizer more photos are affected.  I've just had my computer reviewed by my IT guy and that is not an issue.  How can I get these photos back?  How to prevent this from occurring again?

• 1. Re: How do I find and replace "lost" files?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is the drive that contains the media on a hard drive that is connected to the computer and has a fixed drive letter?

• 3. Re: How do I find and replace "lost" files?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you're also not accessing your media files over a network, what directory folder are your media files in?

• 4. Re: How do I find and replace "lost" files?
              birdcalls Level 1

Pictures (I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo laptop.)  All I was doing was

creating albums and going through the catalog in batch order and placing

images into their appropriate albums - successfully until the other day.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 5:14 AM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: How do I find and replace "lost" files?

So where are the photos located? Are they all in your Pictures library?

Also, what do you mean when you say you were "going through the catalog in batch order and placing

images into their appropriate albums"?

• 6. Re: How do I find and replace "lost" files?
                  birdcalls Level 1

Yes, they are in the pictures library.  Some time ago I imported all photos

in the library into Elements.  Since then I directly import photos taken

with my cameras or phones directly into Elements.  ALL of these are

contained in the catalog.

This is what I was working on:  I brought up the catalog and selected the

view to be in "import batch order."  I then created albums

and was going through the catalog systematically putting photos into the

albums.  I had been doing this successfully for many days.  Then I noticed

that the program was a bit slower to respond, but I could still do my

work.  Then a few days later when I would click on an image in catalog the

thumbnail would be replaced by a question mark and a dialog box would come

up saying that the file could not be found and gave me the option to have

the Elements search for it or to browse.  I chose the program search -

which always comes back unsuccessful.  I've tried this a number of times -

after rebooting the computer, after making sure all updates were installed,

after removing everything in the recycle bin, after making sure that I

still had plenty of storage available, and finally after having my IT guy

go through my computer thoroughly.  (He find no hardware issues.)  I now

have a couple of dozen photos affected.  I'm afraid to get into Elements

again without assistance for fear of "losing" more photo files.

Since this is obviously a Photoshop issue I am desperately seeking help on

the Photoshop forum.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: How do I find and replace "lost" files?

Are you saying that the Organizer is literally removing photo files from your hard drive and not just from the Organizer catalog?

That's pretty serious. I'm sure your IT guy has run Malware Bytes, because this sure sounds more like a virus than anything the Organizer is doing.

Otherwise, if this is version 14, I'd definitely go to Customer Support via chat and have them figure out what's up. Your problem is so unusual that your'e not likely to find a solution here on the forum.

Contact Customer Care

• 8. Re: How do I find and replace "lost" files?
                      birdcalls Level 1

No, the photos remain in Picture Library, just not in the Elements 14

catalog.  And, yes I run Malwarebytes routinely.  I went to the forum

because I could not get a connection on customer support.  I'll try again.

Thanks.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Steve Grisetti <forums_noreply@adobe.com>