6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 1:46 AM by Pavel Homeriki

add SMTP and POP to Muse contact form

vıenna

dear all,

my contact form encountered a PHP error, my server host is now telling me to add SMTP and POP specifications. I am using the programme for my internship and I have zero experience with coding, I also cannot find any online advice that seems helpful. can anybody tell me what my host wants and how I can do this?

thanks you!

Valerie

• 1. Re: add SMTP and POP to Muse contact form
          Ussnorway Adobe Community Professional

vıenna wrote:

dear all,

my contact form encountered a PHP error, my server host is now telling me to add SMTP and POP specifications. I am using the programme for my internship and I have zero experience with coding, I also cannot find any online advice that seems helpful. can anybody tell me what my host wants and how I can do this?

thanks you!

Valerie

your email from that you got from where because the default Adobe ones don't do this?

you need to give details if you want help, what email host are you using i.e, yahoo, hotmail etc are you sitting behind a proxy server because schools filter emails?

• 2. Re: add SMTP and POP to Muse contact form
            vıenna Level 1

I designed a website using Muse for my internship, the website is working perfectly except for the contact form, which is giving me an error message saying the following:

Web server returned an unexpected PHP error. Contact your
            hosting provider or website administrator about how to configure PHP and mail.
            Error: mail(): Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port
            25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini
            or use ini_set()

PHP mail may be disabled or incorrectly configured on the
            web server. Submitted forms may fail to send email. Contact your hosting
            provider or website administrator about proper PHP mail configuration.

I therefore contacted the webmaster of the server hosting the website, who then told me the following:

I've reviewed your code located server.
            First SMTP for outgoing and incoming mail for sending e-mail addresses must be
            written in the form of pop and user defined code information. missing them in
            your code. POP and SMTP addresses are not entered. You can check out the
            following website for information about you.

this is not on a university server, it is on the server of the company I am doing the internship with and the webmaster is Turkish, which adds to the communication difficulties. also, the problem is not a filter, this error message occurs when I export the contact form to the ftp server.

any advice?

• 3. Re: add SMTP and POP to Muse contact form

vıenna wrote:

I designed a website using Muse for my internship, the website is working perfectly except for the contact form,

any advice?

have a read of this My solution: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" | Drupal.org

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: add SMTP and POP to Muse contact form
                vıenna Level 1

thank you for your help, but your post was only partially helpful - my server does not use Drupal (as far as I can tell, that's how little I know) and tbh, after a while I got a bit scared that I might unknowingly alter something very important.

I also found this forum post, if anybody comes across the same problem: Setting a Form in Adobe Muse for limited PHP server - PHP - The SitePoint Forums

the ini_set didn't work for me and the mailer master did not help either, but chances are the mistake is mine.

I'm contacting my webmaster again in the hope he will fix the problem - but thank you all the same, Ussnorway!

• 5. Re: add SMTP and POP to Muse contact form

Good luck!

If you have used a custom email then we really do need to see the code… Muse handles code (especially php) differently to Dreamweaver.

The other option would be to temporary take down the email you have and replace it with one of the default email forms… this will help you with testing as well.

• 6. Re: add SMTP and POP to Muse contact form
                    Pavel Homeriki Adobe Community Professional

I want to sum up, that you do not waste time. In order to form Muse worked on the smtp you need two things: 1) If the traffic is large, You will need your own SMTP server. You should to buy software (public SMTP is not reliable), be able to install and configure it. 2) You need to change the code in form.php, make a backup copy of this file and upload it to the server every time you make a change to the site in Muse.

It is much easier to just use a third-party hosting that supports php and php mail.