19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 7:07 AM by Sherwood.Martinelli

Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?

noamra Level 1

Hi all,

I'm a new Adobe Stock contributor. Few days ago I got Intellectual property refusal on this image.

DSCF6491-Pano-ASID-121273064.jpg

File ID: 121273064

It seems strange since the only thing man-made objects in this image are few off-road vehicles and tents.

I have a several more landscape images that were rejected.

Is there an appeal I can submit to have a human judge the image?

Thanks,

Noam

• 1. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
          darlah36422689 Level 2

Did you use any keywords that might be the problem?  Brand names of cars or tents, place names that may be a protected location, that sort of thing.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
            JLFRISEE

I have exactly the same situation. Same kind of pictures refused because of Intellectual Property Violation

Capture d’écran 2016-10-07 à 15.49.34.pngCapture d’écran 2016-10-07 à 15.49.55.png

Can we have more explanation about this ?

File ID are 122250908, 122250872, 122250856, 122250902

Thanks,

Jean-Louis

• 3. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
              noamra Level 1

No brand names, but the location is listed. Other images with the name were approved, so that's probably not it.
              Is there an official Adobe representative here to help?

• 4. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                darlah36422689 Level 2

OH!  I see it now.  That motorcycle with the sidecar is a recognizable brand.  Images with that in it which were accepted, either the motorcycle is small, or turned so that the sidecar isn't obvious, or the reviewer didn't know that's a brand design. 

It's a borderline case.  The motorcycle isn't the main subject, so it *might* be all right... some reviewers are more cautious than others.

• 5. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                  Sherwood.Martinelli Level 1

Based on my hundreds of rejections of photographs that I have won awards with, or sold in other venues, there seems to be no sense to Adobe Stock judging process...perhaps each judge has their own opinions/criteria?  I've submitted photographs where people cannot be recognized (taken from back) and they go right through...other times like today, one gets accepted, then another one (of a homeless man taken from the back) gets rejected.  Another one with an unidentifiable person holding a protest sign was rejected for being inappropriate content...guess they don't like homemade signs protesting Trump?

I am convinced that too often our photographs are really judged, but instead run through a machine that does it automatically...problem with this, is great photographs get rejected for things like grain noise because a perfectly focused bird or insect is perfectly focused and the back ground blurred as it should be.  I wish Adobe Stock would create an appeals panel where rejected photographs could be reviewed by a set of real human eyes.

I read one case here where someone got a human review and the rejection was over-ruled.  All this might be somewhat academic.  I have had 248 photographs approved for sale.   In over six months, 14 sales with only $12.40 going into my pocket...rhetorical here as we cannot collect our side of the commissions until we hit fifty dollars...at this rate I might see some return on my hours and hours of uploading sometime before we elect our next president in 2020.

• 6. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                    v.poth Level 4

Hi,

I think either the place is generally protected, the car/license plate numbers are identifiable or you have used protected terms in the keywords.

See here in the User Guide to identify the problem:

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/reasons-for-content-rejection.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/known-image-restrictions.html

If you can't explain the reasons for the refusal of other pictures, please feel free to upload them here.

Greets,

v.poth

• 7. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?

Here is what I know V.Poth....I have a lot of great pictures in my refused/trash collection...in fact, most of them refused for some mythical issue they can claim on any pic of some judge has a bug up her/his butt.   No offense to you or Adobe Stock, but when my rejections are running over 2 for every pic you accept, and when I read your rules AND HAVE NOT VIOLATED, and the picture is perfectly viable, chances are there is an issue on your side, but of course Adobe would never want to admit that, never admit that their editing software is fundamentally flawed, or if humans are doing the judging, thinking that they perhaps to keep their numbers up are rejecting works they should be accepting.

Here is what I know...IF I submit for review over 800 pictures to get 250 accepted (the number suggested by an Adobe Stock employee to fairly judge the viability of the site as a sales point for my work)) chances are very slim that I submitted two bad photographs for every one Adobe accepted.  So, I stand by my thoughts on this issue.

Sherwood Martinelli

• 8. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                        v.poth Level 4

Hi,

in genrell, ID's of rejected pictures are not available for the forum members. A direct request to the selection team or other Adobe employees about reasons for rejection is genarally not possible. Nor about the way over the forum here.

If the reason for refusal is Intellectual Property Violation, I think it is especially important that the image is available here in the forum in higher resolution (a watermark can of course be inserted for security reasons) to be able to recognize details. The keywords should also be attached to the picture so that a more effective assessment can be made by other contributers, ACP´s or moderators.

If you can't explain the reasons for the refusal of other pictures, please feel free to upload them here.

Greets,

v.poth

• 9. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                          v.poth Level 4

Hi Sherwood,

In my experience the acceptance criteria of the photo agencies/stock agencies are very different and as a photographer you have to look very closely at which agency your pictures fit and where they sell best. This has to be found out, and especially if the pictures were not produced specifically for an area of the photo industry. And the microstock market is undoubtedly a special market with its own image material requirements.

I think one has to decide here, if a market does not consider my pictures to be suitable for sale and accepts little of my pictures, then to change the marketplace or to produce pictures according to the requirements of this market.

If you think your pictures meet the requirements of the market here, you would like to earn money here, and the pictures are still rejected, then it is surely useful to study the market and to get additional advice on how to do this in the forum to make a good progress here.

Greets,

v.poth

2 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                            Riposte Media Level 1

exactly, after this completely arbitrary review and rejection process and lengthy 6 day wait. slim chance I will be using Adobestock again...

• 11. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                              Riposte Media Level 1

v.poth, I really do not think the problem is contributor best practices.  I have a sharp as a tack photo I will show that is apparently "out of focus".  stop suggesting this broken flagging automated system and 0 human review board from adobe is a positive or endurable thing that will help people grow...

• 12. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                                Tst Mkr

J2560x1920-44763.jpg

Exact same problem on multiple of my photos.  I just uploaded a very few D+ to C- photos in my reserves to test the waters here.  All of them were rejected with 90 percent of them giving the reason intellectual property violation.  All of the photos I chose were all different subject matter with no brand that could be identified.  I know the photos above isn't a great photo in the whole scheme of things, but it was one that was given that intellectual conflict message, if anyone can identify the brush or cup, then I will be very impressed.  Another biting problem here is that Adobe pre-populates 25 tags automatically, if they generate these tags, shouldn't they be ones that would pass their test?  Another weird fact, that image has never been released anywhere else, only buried in my collection.   It appears that Adobe is flawed, and the fact they don't have someone you can easily talk to about rectification, or when you link to their guidelines, it doesn't actually give any insight into photos such as this that were rejected for the intellectual property reason, then their service is flawed for the photographer.  I would highly recommend anyone to explore other options with their great photos that I am sure any brand shopping for stock photos would be happy to use.  I would implore ADOBE to actually reign in here and communicate with the people making them about 70% of the money for each image they did not take themselves.

• 13. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                                  v.poth Level 4

Hi,

No property release is surely required for this picture. So it can only be due to the keywords/title of the image that it was rejected for this reason. You are welcome to insert these here and we will have a look at them.

Greets,

v.poth

• 14. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                                    Tst Mkr Level 1

I took a screen shot of the exact pre-populations that adobe puts in there.  When uploading multiple images, one would think that if they are going to automatically put in their own tags, then that would mean they automatically get accepted using said tags.  Of course looking at these tags, there are more than several mismatches to what the image portrays.  Perhaps re-uploading with only using 4-8 tags that the uploader carefully chooses that are directly what we are seeing would help: cup, water, liquid, brush, reflection, desaturated, black, white.  It's hard to get a more accurate picture on how to rectify whatever conflicts one's content and Adobe's algorithms may encounter as the review process is a multi day process.  Also to note, if tagging truly is the problem, why would that be under an intellectual property warning, there should be a separate category if that is the reason. Any further insight would be welcome.

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 2.01.20 PM.png

• 15. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                                      oleschwander Level 3

The machine is not a human being and can’t figure every detail in every image - yet! You have to think a little yourself as well. And you haven’t posted your title to the image.

Anyway, I can’t se anything in focus in this picture - maybe it’s because of the image size?

• 16. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                                        joanh22203655 Adobe Community Professional

A title would help and I would leave out most of the listed words that do not clearly define the subject - like tea, spoon, metal, pouring, food, glass and so on. Mark them off. The first few are good because it is a cup of coffee in a white cup. Best not to keep words that have nothing to do with this photo. Very confusing to a shopping buyer. JH I might title it  - pouring my wakeup cup of coffee.

• 17. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                                          v.poth Level 4

Hi,

I took a closer look at the picture. Could it be that's a starbucks coffee mug? It seems as if something like a logo shimmers through the cup and the selector might have looked at it as a starbucks logo.

But I also think that the picture also shows technical problems which would lead to a further refusal.

• 18. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?
                                            ricky336 Adobe Community Professional

Seems to be some confusion regarding the picture of cup, liquid and brush.

Firstly is this a cup of paint with a brush or a paper cup of coffee because you wrote:

'I know the photos above isn't a great photo in the whole scheme of things, but it was one that was given that intellectual conflict message, if anyone can identify the brush or cup, then I will be very impressed.'

Or is it a paper cup of coffee as people seem to think it is - but why would you have a cup of coffee with a brush? The star shape may have also caused some issues, which could be the reason why you got the IP rejection.

Secondly, the auto key words are based on AI and are selected based on what the image shows - or looks like. Here a coffee cup with coffee being poured. Hence the key words that are selected. If using the auto key word function, you really need to review it because like the above example it is not accurate as you have found out. Sometimes the key words are great, sometimes you need to change them. Don't expect the auto key words to be exact all the time. You need to edit them. You see, the brush could be a spoon which goes with coffee, but a brush and coffee.

Ah, it's a cup of paint, brush goes with paint. The picture isn't clear, even for us viewers, so how can AI work out what the picture represents.

• 19. Re: Intellectual property refusal on image- Is there a way to appeal?

It's not the best photograph, but if any one with real eyes views that picture, it is obviously black paint...which is why I thought I would share this morning's rejection.   Two hands racking a set of pool balls in the rack.....Sweater on man is black and white.  The pool table felt is black.  Sweater, hands and all balls on black felt are perfectly focused.   Because the felt on table is black, said photo was rejected for EXPOSURE ISSUE...hello, it is perfectly exposed.