18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 9:15 AM by JimHess

Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade

wbarnerd

I upgraded to Lightroom 6 a few months ago, and I still can't get the lightroom catalog to update.  I can't get the new presets and other available upgrades that I paid for.  The ircat file is in a temporary folder, and I can't seem to change it.  I tried a new install, but I am still not able to resolve the issue.  I hope someone can help.  I have searched the internet and forums with no success.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
          dj_paige Level 9

I upgraded to Lightroom 6 a few months ago, and I still can't get the lightroom catalog to update.

What steps have you tried? What happens when you try? What indicates that the update didn't happen? If there is an error message, please quote the exact complete unedited word-for-word error message.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
            wbarnerd Level 1

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\7zO90D5.tmp is where the ircat folder is and not in the Picture folder where my previous version of Lightroom is.  The default location is a temp file.  I assume all the Lightroom 6 presets and modules are in this temporary folder.  When I check my catalog settings in Lightroom, it refers the the temp location as above.  I have tried to change it, and so far with no success.  I really would like to enjoy the updates I paid for.  Some sites state I can change it through preferences, and I have tried that.  Any help would be much appreciated!

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
              dj_paige Level 9

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but this doesn't answer my questions at all.

With respect to that folder C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\7zO90D5.tmp, what is inside it? Have you looked in the pictures folder at all? In either folder, are there files whose name ends with .LRCAT inside? Please use your operating system's search feature to find all files whose name ends with .LRCAT (not .ircat)

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                wbarnerd Level 1

All of the folders are in the temp folder, including the LRCAT folder (not ircat which was a typo).  They should be in the Picture folder which is the default, same as my previous version of Lightroom.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                  Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The catalog folder location and catalog is not affected by upgrading the application. When the new version of the app is opened your original catalog will have a copy made in the same folder and that will be upgraded. This only happens with major updates form Lightroom 5 to 6. For point updates catalog upgrades are not done.

You can simply double click your Lightroom 5 .lrcat file and have it upgraded to Lr6.

I have no idea about your Temp folder situation as I'm not a Windows guru.

Try also giving us screen shots of what you are seeing, they help immensely.

Thank you

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                    wbarnerd Level 1

A screenshot of my folders is attached.  I think he folders should be in the Pictures location instead of in a temp folder, so that must be why the download features do not work with the download.Lightroom cat pic.jpg

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade

I have no idea why or how they are in that location.

Yes they should be in a folder named Lightroom in Pictures.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                        F. McLion Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You MUST move these folders and the lrcat - move them to the Pictures folder.

The contents of the Temp folder may be deleted at any time by the system maintenance, depending on the settings of your Windows.

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                          dj_paige Level 9

When I check my catalog settings in Lightroom, it refers the the temp location as above.  I have tried to change it, and so far with no success.  I really would like to enjoy the updates I paid for.  Some sites state I can change it through preferences, and I have tried that.  Any help would be much appreciated!

What do you mean you have tried to change the location with no success? What have you tried? What happened? Did you try to move the .LRCAT file from the Temp folder to the Pictures folder? Please give us details.

What do you mean you can't enjoy the features you paid for? Once you open the catalog file, then all of the features you paid for should be available.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade

Can you not either drag or copy the files in the Temp Folder to Pictures??

If you can then you double click the .lrcat file and Lightroom will open with that.

I highly recommend you look up AdobeTV and watch some free tutorials on Lightroom.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                              plus12

I have gone to all sites to get lightroom 6 upgrade and can't find it anywhere.  Its almost like it does not exist.  I have gone to adobe site and all they have is lightroom 6 cc and I just want the stand alone.  Can anyone help.  Thanks

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is only one update installer. That single update installer will update BOTH Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC. If you have Lightroom 6 installed it will update and give you all that Lightroom 6 should have. The reason is that it is the same program. It is all controlled by how you have activated the program. If you activated it with a Lightroom 6 serial number then you have Lightroom 6. It's all that simple.

If you need to purchase the Lightroom 6 upgrade, go to the following website and click on "Buy" and indicate that you want to purchase an upgrade. Indicate what version you have and the price will change. Follow the prompts and you will be guided through the rest of the process.

Software & Services

1 person found this helpful
                                • 14. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                                  plus12 Level 1

I finally see that there is an upgrade, but it saids if you own 4.X you can upgrade to 6.  I have adobe lightroom 4 and after updating it is 4.4.  Will that work.  Thanks again for your feedback.  Truly appreciate it

• 15. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade

Yes. That will work. 4.x just means any version of 4.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 16. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                                      plus12 Level 1

Thanks for your help. 

• 17. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade
                                        saifp29409195

Hi JIm - Can you pls confirm that the link you had shared back in May 2017 ,which had the option to upgrade from LR 4-to-LR 6 is now only offering the CC options ?That is all I see. Am I missing anything ? Tried the various options visible on the link  i.e individual , business, student as well as the drop-down options under each - there is no standalone upgrade option visible.

• 18. Re: Lightroom 6 standalone upgrade

That link apparently is now for the Creative Cloud only. It seems that the Adobe people aren't very good at maintaining a good link to the standalone version. I just checked, and this link does take you to the standalone option:

Adobe Checkout