4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 12:03 PM by ladyinblack1964

Need help with setting up a grid

ladyinblack1964 Level 1

I am the originator of this thread, and I posted earlier in it looking for some help. I'm not sure it is turning up as a current post, due to it being rather old.

That said, could anyone who would like to help please scroll to the bottom of the thread for my post from today, which includes a photo.

Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Need help with setting up a grid
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I think you have got the answer. But as this was an old, very old thread, you should have started a new one, as things have changed since then.

To make a grid with text or graphic frame do following:

1. Set up in Layout > Borders & Columns… the desired gap, even if the column number 1, the gap distance is important
          2. Draw a rectangle (or any other form) with any form tool (even with the curser loaded with a bunch of images) and draw a rectangle across the whole page. Don't release the mouse here!
          3. While still holding the mouse button: With the arrow key on the keyboard increase the number of columns and rows.
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need help with setting up a grid
            ladyinblack1964 Level 1

Willi, thank you--that was very, very easy!

I still have a question, though. It has to do with fitting photos into the frame. One of the photos I am trying to fit measures 6" x 5.25", and it fits perfectly. The other is 6.493" x 5.25". It does not fit perfectly. If I try and adjust it, it comes out too smaller in the frame. I thought InDesign would be able to fit it precisely.

Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just need to resize my photo in Photoshop?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Need help with setting up a grid
              ladyinblack1964 Level 1

I'm going to start a new thread with this question above.

• 4. Re: Need help with setting up a grid
                ladyinblack1964 Level 1

@Willi Adelberger--Is there a way to easily put a smaller photo frame inside each of the boxes in the grid? I know I can duplicate or copy and paste, but I thought there might be a simpler way to do it. Thank you!