7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 6:50 PM by JudyDi

Slide show problem saving to DVD

JudyDi

I have Elements 9, 11, and 13 on my computer, also Premiere Elements. I prefer 9 and use it often. I have created a Slide Show complete with movement, transitions and soundtrack. There are about 100 slides. My machine is plenty robust to handle this file, and just before I process it, I reboot the machine. (Also am running Windows 10)

When I tell the program to send to DVD, it opens Premiere and processes the file, then writes it to disk. When I play the file, several of the slide frames only show the background color. No picture. The soundtrack plays correctly all the way through.

I thought of opening my project file in Elements 13, but I can't find where the file is saved, or it's name. When I tell Elements 13 to open the file, it opens the Premiere Elements saved file which is already processed and has the missing photos.

I found the file, but the extension is .psess and Elements 13 won't open it.

Any suggestions would be helpful, or telling me how to find the originally saved project file.

• 1. Re: Slide show problem saving to DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A .psess file is a Photoshop Elements work file. You will not be able to open it in Premiere Elements. The slideshow program has also been overhauled in later versions of the Elements Organizer, so you will not be able to open it in version 13. You'll need to continue to work on it in the version 9 Organizer.

What process did you use to get the slideshow from the slideshow creator to Premiere Elements?

Have you ensured that all of your photos have been resized to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels (72 ppi) before you loaded them into your slideshow? It is possible that you are using photos that are too large for the program to downsample as video.

• 2. Re: Slide show problem saving to DVD
            JudyDi Level 1

Thank you, Steve

First, I was trying to open it in Elements 13, not Premiere Elements 13, but I understand now why I can’t do that.

My process was, from Organizer I chose Output, Burn to Disc, Chose DVD, NTSC. It saved my file as a WMV file. Playing the WMV I had the issue, so I went back and tried each of the other choices with the same result.

I did not know about resizing the pictures. I will go back and make those corrections and try again. I’m certain this is probably the problem, but I want to test it before I sign off on this question.

• 3. Re: Slide show problem saving to DVD
              Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JudyDi wrote:

I was trying to open it in Elements 13, not Premiere Elements 13,

There are two Elements 13 programs:

Premiere Elements 13 - use for video or slide shows

Photoshop Elements 13  - use for stills and very basic slide shows

• 4. Re: Slide show problem saving to DVD

And the Elements Organizer, which houses the slideshow creator.

But if you're using the Organizer's slideshow in version 9, you should have chosen the option to Send to Premiere Elements. This would have send the raw files to Premiere Elements, where you could have created a DVD.

Outputting your file as a WMV is an unnecessary step that can prove counter productive.

• 5. Re: Slide show problem saving to DVD
                  JudyDi Level 1

Follow up:

Steve, you were spot on!. The slides I had came from two different cameras. Camera 1 files came across fine, but the Camera 2 files was where the problems showed up. I compared the files from the two cameras, and the 2nd set of files were much larger than the first set. I deleted the files from the 2nd camera from my slide show, resized the photos and added them back to the slide show. All I had to do was redo the Pan & Zoom on each slide, everything else (the sound and transitions) fell right in. Thank you so much for your explanation. I had been working for days on this.

• 6. Re: Slide show problem saving to DVD

Great news, Judy! Please mark this question as answered.

• 7. Re: Slide show problem saving to DVD
                      JudyDi Level 1

Yes, Steve, I’ve already done that.

JudyDi