17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 11:34 AM by rob day

Default Colour Settings?

kellys23482843 Level 1

Hello!

I have just recently had to use custom settings for an advertisement I was designing in InDesign and now I would like to remove these settings / revert to default but I don't remember what the default colour settings are for InDesign - could someone tell me what the most common or default settings to use are?

Would it be Europe General Purpose 3?

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 11.50.28.png

• 1. Re: Default Colour Settings?
          Derek Cross Level 6

That's best if you're in the UK.

• 2. Re: Default Colour Settings?
            kellys23482843 Level 1

Great - thank you!!

• 3. Re: Default Colour Settings?
              kellys23482843 Level 1

Ok so now I have another question regarding to the custom settings I set up before....

So the aforementioned Ad that I was designing where I had to change the settings for from default to a custom ICC profile has come back with the following error:
              Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.26.24.png
              So I have gone back into both InDesign and Photoshop (for the TIFF image) and assigned the profiles to the custom ICC profile I was given by the publisher ... 

InDesign (Ad design)
              Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.39.13.png

Photoshop (TIFF image)

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.40.15.png

But I'm still getting an error in the summary when I try to export the PDF for print:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.41.15.png

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

K

• 4. Re: Default Colour Settings?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It happens all the time if the color settings are different from those used to create the preset. Your settings will be honored, and you have nothing to be concerned about.

• 5. Re: Default Colour Settings?
                  kellys23482843 Level 1

Unfortunately not... The file is submitted online so the system detects every little error and won't accept the file. I'm now getting the following which are more errors even after trying to fix the previous.

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 17.17.48.png

• 6. Re: Default Colour Settings?
                    kellys23482843 Level 1

The bleeds are all totally fine too - just checked.

Bleed box dimensions:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 17.23.46.png

Document dimensions:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 17.23.14.png

• 7. Re: Default Colour Settings?

Those errors are entirely different and have nothing to do with the color settings warning (warnings are not necessarily errors).

Evidently you did not set up the document with the correct trim and bleed dimensions specified in your document setup which is causing the first and third errors in your screen shot.  The total coverage area error is caused either by an InDesign object to which you have applied a fill color with total ink exceeding 300%, or you have imported an image with the same total ink problem. It is perfectly possible to assign a profile with a 300% ink limit, but create objects that exceed that limit, and unless there is a profile conversion they will not get corrected.

You can find the problem using Window > Output > Separations Preview... and choose Ink Limit from the dropdown.

• 8. Re: Default Colour Settings?
                        kellys23482843 Level 1

Ok thank you for that!

Although I did think the bleeds are correct - same dimensions as specified above.

Re : the total coverage area - the ad has a white background and I created background fill of white that covers the whole page - so sounds like that could that be the issue? Presumably I wouldn't need a white background fill if printed on white paper?

Thanks again for your help!

• 9. Re: Default Colour Settings?

Hmm. The doc setup does look correct, which means maybe you put the wrong bleed numbers into the export dialog?

• 10. Re: Default Colour Settings?

Ink limit violations are always in the shadows and dark areas (because those are the only areas that can build up that much ink).

• 11. Re: Default Colour Settings?
                              kellys23482843 Level 1

Think I got it (with your help, thank you)!

Re: bleeds - yep, you were right - I forgot to tick the box to use document bleeds on export!

Re: error 2 / colour settings - finally spoke to the publisher, apparently, it's to do with my image. When using the custom ICC profile in Photoshop, I guess I "assigned" the profile which I guess is a no-no.

Weird thing is though - they are asking me to save it as JPG once converted. Is this a new thing? I've only ever used TIFF for printing.

• 12. Re: Default Colour Settings?

Assigning a profile preserves the numbers, converting to a profile preserves the color appearance as best possible while changing the numbers to conform to the new profile, hence assigning can leave you with total ink problems.

I never save jpeg for print, but I'm old school. The reality is you should not have a problem as long as you use maximum, or near maximum quality. The PDF/X-1 standard is going to convert to jpeg anyway, so I'd leave as a tiff if that's what it is now so you don't go through two lossy conversions.

• 13. Re: Default Colour Settings?
                                  kellys23482843 Level 1

Ah okay that's good to know.

I'm pretty old school too... Just asked them though if we could leave as TIFF, but they have said that it won't embed the colour profile. How's that for confusing?

• 14. Re: Default Colour Settings?

That's not true. Profiles are embedded in .psd. .jpg or .tif if you choose to embed them when you save the file. And of course there is no embedded profile in the PDF/X-1a that you will produce -- it is presumed to be already in the correct output space. Did they ask for X-1a?

• 15. Re: Default Colour Settings?
                                      kellys23482843 Level 1

Oh yeah I did actually notice the tick box option to embed in the TIFF in the save dialog box, so you're right, that can't be true!

Yes, they asked to export  PDF/X-1a.

• 16. Re: Default Colour Settings?

The reason for embedding the profile in the image is so that ID knows how to handle the color coming in and at export, and that only matters if the image profile and document working profile are different. That said, I would NEVER save an image without the embedded profile.

• 17. Re: Default Colour Settings?
                                          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So the aforementioned Ad that I was designing where I had to change the settings for from default to a custom ICC profile has come back with the following error:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 14.26.24.png

Total Ink Limits are built into CMYK profiles, but are only enforced when you make a color conversion into that profile—once the conversion is made there's nothing stopping you from exceeding the limit via a color correction. Also assigning a new CMYK profile would have no affect on the CMYK file's existing black point total ink.

So, for example if you set Photoshop's Color Settings to Europe General Purpose 3 and converted an RGB image to CMYK via Mode>CMYK Color, there could easily be total ink exceeding 300% because the Color Settings' CMYK Working profile for that preset is Coated Fogra 39, which has a total ink limit of 330%.

If you were to reopen the converted CMYK files and Assign a profile with a 300% total ink limit like ISO Coated V2, nothing would happen to the output values, because as Peter suggested changing assignments has no affect on output values.

Furthermore you can embed the new profile when you save from Photoshop, but InDesign will ignore the embedded profile because your document's CMYK policy is likely set to Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles). If that is the case the InDesign document CMYK profile gets assigned to any placed image and again there will be no change in output or total ink values. When you export to the default PDF/X-1a preset there still is no change in the original total ink violation because PDF/X-1a exports to document CMYK and all document CMYK values are exported unchanged.

The easiest way to avoid total ink violations and unwanted CMYK-to-CMYK conversions is to place images as profiled RGB and let the conversion to the correct profile (and total ink) happen at export.