6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2016 2:18 AM by Katrinochka

Lightroom 6 performance on Mac

Katrinochka Level 1

I would like to bring the attention of the community (and, hopefully, Adobe) to the continuing issue of poor Lightroom performance on Mac computers. Being a user of iMac with Retina 5K display, 4Gzh Intel core-i7 processor, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, and 16Gb Ram, (I also use Retina MacBook Pro with maxed out specs , as well as a regular older iMac 27" I can hardly call the Lightroom 6 user experience on these Apple computers adequate. General lags, slow and stuttering grid scrolling, slow browsing in Loop view from pic to pic, slow tools in the Develop section, etc etc, which has been mentioned a zillion times.

The last straw that brought me to write this today is LR memory usage after creating about 50,000 standard previews: Please see the attached screenshot.

I have been witnessing obvious memory leaks in LR for several generations, with everything slowing down as you use the app. E.g. keyword assignment is breezy upon start but brings several long seconds delay with "working" in the keywords tab after half an hour of using LR.

How on Earth can an app use over 30Gb of memory just after creating previews, and no editing work whatsoever? It starts with a "modest" 1-2Gb memory footprint, and gradually balloons to unthinkable heights as performance slows down to a crawl. I observed it on several computers across several iterations of Mac OS, so I really don't think I have some particular issues with my setup (OS X Sierra clean install, LR 6.7 CC fresh clean installation).

Any thoughts?

Screenshot 2016-09-28 19.51.58.png

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 performance on Mac
          Sahil.Chawla Adobe Employee

Hi Katrinochka,

Could you please go to the root user account and let us know how lightroom performs in that account?

Regards,

Sahil

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 performance on Mac
            Katrinochka Level 1

Please give me step by step instructions on how "to go to the root user account" in Mac OS Sierra. So far as I know, root user is disabled in modern Mac OS by default, for security reasons. It is not recommended to work under root account.

If you mean the admin user, though, then I am working under user with admin rights.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 performance on Mac
              1. From the Apple menu choose System Preferences.
              2. From the View menu choose Accounts.
              3. Click on the lock and authenticate with an administrator account.
              4. Click Login Options.
              5. Click the "Edit" or "Join" button at the bottom right.
              6. Click the "Open Directory Utility" button.
              7. Click the lock in the Directory Utility window.
              8. Enter an administrator account name and password, then click OK.
              9. Choose Enable Root User from the Edit menu.
              10. Enter the root password you wish to use in both the Password and Verify fields, then click OK.

How to log in as root

1. If you are logged in, choose Log Out from the Apple menu.
              2. If you are logging in from a list of usernames with pictures, click Other.
              3. In the Name field, type: root
              4. In the Password field, type the password you defined when setting up the root user account.
              • 4. Re: Lightroom 6 performance on Mac
                Katrinochka Level 1

Thank you, Sahil, for the information. I might try this some day when I have free time and wish to tinker. However, I did not pay for LR subscription to tinker with settings. Nobody is going to use LR under root user anyway. My setup now is pristine clean install (not upgrade) of Mac OS Sierra, with minimum third party software. I fail to see how testing under "root" user can be relevant in my situation. If LR is capable of improved performance under root user then it is time for Adobe engineers to get back to the drawing tables and make that miracle happen for regular user accounts in Mac OS, since this is how LR is supposed to be used!

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 performance on Mac

By any chance do you have lightroom sync turned on in lightroom?

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 performance on Mac
                    Katrinochka Level 1

no, I do not use mobile sync.