8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2016 3:26 PM by Sy's Home

Cell data tags being stripped out of tables

Sy's Home

I've been having a problem with data cell tags that have no data in them being stripped out of tables upon copying the page with the table into a main document. I did not have this problem in Pro 9. It started happening when I upgraded to XI.

This is a huge problem because it throws the whole structure of the table off and I end up having to spend time adding the tag back in that was stripped out. There were times that 10 to 20 tags were stripped out of a table. The cells that are being stirpped have no data but are necessary to the structure of the table.

I have a document that is over 400 pages with data tables on 2/3rds of the pages. Quite often while preparing the document, I will have to replace pages with updated data and this is when I have to delete a page and copy a new page into the main document. This is when the tags get stripped out.  It is very annoying.

Can anyone tell me whether or not there is a work around for this problem. Does this problem exist in the newer version of Acrobat?

• 1. Re: Cell data tags being stripped out of tables
          a_C_student Level 3

Sounds bizarre. How exactly are you copying the page with the table into a main document?

• 2. Re: Cell data tags being stripped out of tables
            Sy's Home Level 1

I am not actually copying the table into he main document, I am copying the page which contains a table into the main document. It is this action which causes the empty cells to be stripped out of the table.

To: Simeon Walton <sywalton@att.net>

Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:47 PM

Subject:  Cell data tags being stripped out of tables

created by a_C_student in Standards & Accessibility (tagged PDF) - View the full discussionSounds bizarre. How exactly are you copying the page with the table into a main document? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9038087#9038087 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9038087#9038087 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Standards & Accessibility (tagged PDF) by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 3. Re: Cell data tags being stripped out of tables
              Sy's Home Level 1

Correction:  I am not actually copying the table into the main document, I am copying a page which contains a table into the main document. It is this action which causes the tags for the empty cells to be stripped out of the table.

Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:47 PM

created by a_C_student in Standards & Accessibility (tagged PDF) - View the full discussionSounds bizarre. How exactly are you copying the page with the table into a main document? If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9038087#9038087 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9038087#9038087 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Standards & Accessibility (tagged PDF) by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• 4. Re: Cell data tags being stripped out of tables
                a_C_student Level 3

Yes, I got that. But how exactly are you copying the page with the table into a main document? There is more than one way to insert a page into a PDF. Trying a different method might give better results. I typically right-click in the Page Thumbnails pane then Insert Pages > From File. I have never experienced the behavior you are describing, so if you are copying the page into the main document some other way, you might try the method I describe.

• 5. Re: Cell data tags being stripped out of tables
                  Sy's Home Level 1

I have tried copying from file and or click and dragging and I get the same result. I have Uninstalled and re installed Acrobat thinking it may be a bad installation but no luck. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 3:11 PM, a_C_student<forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:   

created by a_C_student in Standards & Accessibility (tagged PDF) - View the full discussion

Yes, I got that. But how exactly are you copying the page with the table into a main document? There is more than one way to insert a page into a PDF. Trying a different method might give better results. I typically right-click in the Page Thumbnails pane then Insert Pages > From File. I have never experienced the behavior you are describing, so if you are copying the page into the main document some other way, you might try the method I describe.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9039913#9039913 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9039913#9039913

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Standards & Accessibility (tagged PDF) by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

• 6. Re: Cell data tags being stripped out of tables
                    a_C_student Level 3

Sorry, no idea. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

• 7. Re: Cell data tags being stripped out of tables
                      raeben3 Level 3

I run XI Pro on a Windows 7 system. I have not experimented extensively with Acrobat DC. In Acrobat XI Pro, the only way I have successfully imported pages and retained tags is to use the Insert File method. This retains the tags, but you will have to move the Tags into their correct position order in the Tags Panel. This assumes all files have correct Tags before you start.

Is this what you are doing?

1.  Prepare the page you want to Insert (i.e., "copy") as a separate one-page document.  If  this page is from a multi-page document, delete  all the other pages in the document, then save your file as "Page15.pdf" or whatever. Make sure your tags are still intact and delete empty tags if necessary.

2. Open the big document and go to the page you want to replace. Select that page in the Pages panel. 

3. Choose Insert from File, select Page 15.pdf and Insert it After the current page 15.  Save As (new filename).

4. Delete the old page 15. Save As...

5. Open the Tags Panel, Find the last line in Page 14 in the Tags Panel, open the Tag or rename the Sect or Part tag it is in as <Part> 14

6. Find the Tags for the newly inserted Page 15, they will  be at the very bottom of the Tags Panel. Select them and move them so they follow the Page 14 tags marked above.

Dragging the Tags up through the Tags Panel is an effort trial in a 400-page document.

This usually works and I do not have TD or any other tags routinely drop out. 

• 8. Re: Cell data tags being stripped out of tables
                        Sy's Home Level 1

I have actually done this and still lost tags for table cells with no data. It's like it figures you don't need them if there is no data. Go figure.

Sent: Monday, October 24, 2016 7:08 PM

created by raeben3 in Standards & Accessibility (tagged PDF) - View the full discussionI run XI Pro on a Windows 7 system. I have not experimented extensively with Acrobat DC. In Acrobat XI Pro, the only way I have successfully imported pages and retained tags is to use the Insert File method. This retains the tags, but you will have to move the Tags into their correct position order in the Tags Panel. This assumes all files have correct Tags before you start.  Is this what you are doing?  1.  Prepare the page you want to Insert (i.e., "copy") as a separate one-page document.  If  this page is from a multi-page document, delete  all the other pages in the document, then save your file as "Page15.pdf" or whatever. Make sure your tags are still intact and delete empty tags if necessary. 2. Open the big document and go to the page you want to replace. Select that page in the Pages panel.  3. Choose Insert from File, select Page 15.pdf and Insert it After the current page 15.  Save As (new filename). 4. Delete the old page 15. Save As... 5. Open the Tags Panel, Find the last line in Page 14 in the Tags Panel, open the Tag or rename the Sect or Part tag it is in as <Part> 146. Find the Tags for the newly inserted Page 15, they will  be at the very bottom of the Tags Panel. Select them and move them so they follow the Page 14 tags marked above.  Dragging the Tags up through the Tags Panel is an effort trial in a 400-page document.  This usually works and I do not have TD or any other tags routinely drop out.   If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9089160#9089160 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9089160#9089160 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"  Start a new discussion in Standards & Accessibility (tagged PDF) by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.  This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.