3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 5:10 AM by Rick Gerard

How to animate text with a pointer?

zijin_cheng

I have some basic experience using Blender and now am dipping my toes into After Effects. I have watched many, many tutorial videos and have the basics down regarding the simple stuff in After Effects.

I'm looking to do something like this in After Effects but can't find what I'm looking for, was wondering if this is a template or made from scratch each time?

• 1. Re: How to animate text with a pointer?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This is basic stuff using graphics overlays created in whatever way you fancy and then tracked to the positions. Perhaps you just need to learn AE a bit more? There's really nothing complicated about it that couldn't be solved with a pre-composition and some basic animation techniques.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to animate text with a pointer?
            zijin_cheng Level 1

I can do something like that in Blender manually but it would take me forever, the same way it was done here. I'm wondering if something like this could come from a preset or a template instead of being done manually every time?

• 3. Re: How to animate text with a pointer?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are as many ways to attach the ends of lines or points to moving spots in a shot as there are ways to shoot movies of things moving in the frames. The two video examples you pointed to were nothing more than simple tracking and either parenting or pre-composing. As Mylenium said, real basic AE stuff. Tracking automates the process. You can track in Blender too. You don't have to do all the work manually.

After Effects is layers, the layers all have anchor points, which are the center of rotation and scale. If you draw a line as a shape tool with the pen tool you can simply use the Anchor Point tool (y) to snap the anchor point to the end of the vertex. Then you would use the Track Motion (motion tracking workspace) tool to Motion Track whatever you wanted to track. To learn about motion tracking tracking just type track motion in the search help field and you'll find a lot of good resources. Once you have Motion Tracked the thing in the shot that you want to track you can apply the tracking to the line you drew and the anchor point will stick to the spot. Now just add your text layer, position the type and then attach the text layer to the line by parenting. To learn about parenting, you guessed it, type parenting in the search help field at the top right corner of AE.

Without seeing the exact shot you are trying to use it's very hard to point you to the most efficient workflow.