2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 8:18 AM by Rick Gerard

Problems importing AI file (where's retain layer size) can't copy ai layer to shape layer

kellyws

I'm having two problems that I think are related in the newest  AE CC 2015 version. I resaved the .ai file in newly updated illustrator in case of version conflict.

There is no option to import: composition - retain layer sizes for an ai file anymore? There are options to do this for a .psd still.

Because of this, and maybe as another problem that may have a workaround - after pulling ai into comp - I can't copy/paste ai layer to a shape layer in order to animate. Not sure what to do?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Problems importing AI file (where's retain layer size) can't copy ai layer to shape layer
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

what exactly is your Ai->Ae workflow? if you import an Ai document with more than one layer you will get this window

here you can get the layer size.

if you are experiencing something different please show it to us. we love screenshots.

• 2. Re: Problems importing AI file (where's retain layer size) can't copy ai layer to shape layer
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, make sure that the right options are checked in Illustrator when you save the file. Second, create a new illustrator file with 3 rectangles that have a fill and stroke on 3 different layers. Save the file and Import as a comp making sure you can see the options in the import dialogue and choose retail layer sizes. Then open the comp with this test illustrator file select all of the layers and then choose Confert to Shape from the Layer Menu.

If that works then you have done something with your Illustrator layers in Illustrator that is causing the problem. MANY, if not almost all of the artwork I create in Illustrator will not covert successfully to shapes for several reasons. I like to use Illustrator vector tools and gradients that will not convert to shapes in my illustrations and most of the artwork I create in Illustrator does not need the add in extras only available on shape layers like repeaters, punk and bloat or trim paths. If I am planning to use these additional shape layer animation tools I make sure that I have not done things to the layers that would prevent them from successfully converting to a shape. If you are not planning on animating the path of a vector file (Illustrator layer) or using one of the add on's then there is no advantage to converting the layer to a shape inside AE.

I hope this helps. I'm adding Illustrator files to AE as comps almost every day.