6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 10:13 AM by Peter Grainge

Printing without headers and footers

Jop Smith Level 1
      Hi

My WebHelp topics have headers and footers. I'd really like to automatically remove these when they are printed via the browser. I've tried manually adding the following to my style sheet, which does what I want initially, but RoboHelp X5 screws it up when loaded and compiled again.

@media print {
      #header: {display: none;}
      #footer: {display: none;}
      }

I've also tried adding a second style sheet containing the same, but RoboHelp X5 can't handle more than one style sheet per topic.

Has anyone got any advice.
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: Printing without headers and footers
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Hi there

Okay, please understand I'm fully aware this will come off sounding snarky. I really don't intend it that way. But I'm dead serious with my questions.

Why do you care? To me anything intended primarily for Browser or Help Viewer display is intended from the onset to be viewed on the screen, not on paper. So if a user chooses to print, they get what they get. What happens with popup links on the page if printed? For that matter, what happens with standard hyperlinks? Would you want each referenced page printed too as the on-screen information may not make sense without it? The question then becomes how far down the rabbit hole do you really want to go?

So what's in the Header and Footer of the topic that is bothersome when printed?

My thought is that if someone is printing from the browser, it's only temporary anyway. They probably aren't printing with an intent to build a book and take it to a printer for publication.

Sincerely... Rick
          • 2. Re: Printing without headers and footers
            Hi again

I did have a thought on the style sheet bit. It's a bit on the manual side, but you may like it.

Maintain a modified copy of the final style sheets and as a post process, copy them into the output.

Cheers... Rick
            • 3. Re: Printing without headers and footers
              Jop Smith Level 1
              Ok, point taken.

My header contains a toolbar, with buttons for printing, bookmarking, emailing, etc and my footer contains a short copyright statement and a "top of page" link. I agree with you, there's no real need to remove them. A lot of websites offer a print friendly option and I was just trying to see if it was possible. I guess I'm just a perfectionist!
              • 4. Re: Printing without headers and footers
                Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                Hold up. Topic Headers and Footers do not survive into printed documentation. Something at the top of your page and something at the bottom of the page will print but not in the Word header and footer area.

A lot of people have wanted that and nobody managed it. One person claimed to have done it but investigation showed they hadn't. What was happening there was they had two metatags resulting from having imported a Word document.

<meta name=Originator content=ImportDoc>
                <meta name=OriginalFile content="filename.doc">

This caused their headers and footers to be printed at the top and bottom of each page but not as headers and footers, it was in fact in the body of the page.

I would love to see a sample project that can generate a RH header and footer as a Word header and footer.

• 5. Re: Printing without headers and footers
                  Hiya Peter

You are overthinking it. I believe they were wanting them gone when the topic is printed from the on-line medium. Printing from the browser.

Printed docs is another story...

Cheers... Rick
                  • 6. Re: Printing without headers and footers
                    Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
                    You're right. The first post mentions the browser. Doh!