• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Youtube videos in published Captivate files are now cropped on the right side. Resolution?

Participant ,
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already  Captivate files that are modules for e-learning and published using SCORM within my LMS. The files have been fine. When I viewed them yesterday all the embedded YouTube files are cropped on the right and have "dead space" on the left. It is as if they all are shifted right. I've viewed the discussions about changes to YouTube videos with the result of the YouTube not showing up. My issue is a bit different because the videos are present, but cropped. Also the bottom bar is gone and I need this for viewers to turn on the closed captioning (a significant portion of my audience is deaf).

Are there any solutions for this? (Note that I don't have access to a video server.)

Thanks,

Mary

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

HI, Mary.  Jumping in again, the Captivate site says that HTML5 output is only supported in Internet Explorer 9 or later, Safari 5.1 or later and Google Chrome 17 or later.  Though not listed, the new Microsoft Edge works fine, too.  I'm finding that the older browser versions are fast disappearing but a few of the less tech savvy people I work with are still using IE 8 so I suspect that might be an issue from your description of your target audience. Also, the HTML5 version doesn't function ful

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to this, it seems to be happening on laptops and desktops but not on mobile devices.  I have tried many different computers, both Mac and PC, and several browsers.  All show the same problem described in the original post.  Videos are showing correctly, however, on iPads and all the phones I've tried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested this problem by reloading a YouTube video using the widget in Captivate 8. Now, no video is showing up. Additional thoughts?

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

If its showing correctly on IPads and phones then your HTML5 version is working correctly. A quick fix would be to only publish in HTML5 (not HTML5 and SWF) as long as you don't have any SWF reliant elements or effects in your project.

Cheers,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, Steve.  Just tested. The html version works fine.  The Flash version has the problems.  I see there has been a Flash update rolled out in the last 2 weeks so I'm guessing that might be the cause of the problem.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

My original question was not regarding iPads or mobile. My question with

publishing only in html5 is regarding my target audience who may have older

laptops. What are the limitations of publishing only to html5? This is

within a Blackboard course for parents across the country, some who may not

be tech heavy or tech savvy, so what are my options.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 8:29 PM, chris_odonoghue <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, Mary.  Jumping in again, the Captivate site says that HTML5 output is only supported in Internet Explorer 9 or later, Safari 5.1 or later and Google Chrome 17 or later.  Though not listed, the new Microsoft Edge works fine, too.  I'm finding that the older browser versions are fast disappearing but a few of the less tech savvy people I work with are still using IE 8 so I suspect that might be an issue from your description of your target audience. Also, the HTML5 version doesn't function fully in Firefox, even the latest version, which is the main reason I publish in swf as well as html. I'd happily publish only in html and encourage users to update their browsers if it wasn't for the Firefox issue.

Of course, knowing this doesn't solve the problem.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

We are in a weird transition time for SWF and HTML5  so there really isn't an easy answer. What I would suggest is you build your course to HTML5 standards, that way it is future proof (sounds like you have already) and place a disclaimer on in the first couple of slides to the effect "

"This course is best viewed using Internet Explorer 9 or later, Safari 5.1 or later and Google Chrome 17 or later. While it will work with other browsers there may be some technical issues with some sections."

Cheers,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

To answer your question more specifically, IPad versions are by default "HTML5" as Apple doesn't support Flash. If you use the HTML5 Checker prior to publishing it will alert  you to what is prohibited. (Mainly roll-overs, FLV video etc)

Cheers

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Steve,My product is designed mostly for laptops and iPads so the solution that I am seeking is for both. I understand the need for html5 with iPads, but I'm not sure if this is viable for laptops.

Thanks much,Mary

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My product is compatible with html5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Steve,My product is designed mostly for laptops and iPads so the solution that I am seeking is for both. I understand the need for html5 with iPads, but I'm not sure if this is viable for laptops.

Thanks much,Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All recent version browsers are capable of rendering HTML5 content.

You can check the HTML5 score for all common browsers here:

HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

Oddly enough the Apple Safari browser is usually now lagging far behind others when it comes to HTML5 compliance.  Which is strange when you remember that it was Steve J who famously condemned Flash and triggered it's eventual demise.

Bottom line is:  If your laptop users have recent version browsers installed (and lets not forget almost all web browsers are free) then they shouldn't have a lot of issues viewing your HTML5 content.  In my experience it's more likely to be your mobile device users that will experience issues due to the more limited resources those devices have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out this solution and let you know if it works.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources