4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 12:50 PM by cindy8484

Issues with rendering in After Effects.

johnathan.box

I am not too sure where to being, but it seems like the more updates I download for After Effects, the slower this whole process becomes.

I am now just under the assumption that I am missing something, or that my laptop is just seriously lacking in the departments required to use After Effects. The laptop in question is a MacBook Pro 2013-14 (not sure which.) OS all up to date (I know that's been the cause of some discussion, but the update was forced on me after a trip to the apple store.)

What should be taking me half an hour is stretching out to three, due to it simply not rendering a preview or rendering a couple seconds and simply looping it, again and again. Ive tried emptying caches and all that malarkey and I've made sure that only After Effects is open when using it, no more spotify or youtube on in the background. I can understand struggling with 4k and certain footage, but I am even struggling with footage from iPhones (I know iPhone quality has come a long way, but I don't think it should be enough to cripple my laptop.)

Any advice on where to start, or what to look into for trying to fix the issue? I know the obvious plan of action is to get a desktop, but for the next 6 months, it's not going to be possible for me.

Any help or advice is hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
      John.

• 1. Re: Issues with rendering in After Effects.
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You say you're using the most current Mac OS?  Would that be the one called, "Sierra"?  If so, you're hosed, bud!  AE doesn't run on it properly!

If I were you, I'd go back to the Apple store and DEMAND that they install Yosemite.  Or El Capitan.  Or whatever the last one was.

• 2. Re: Issues with rendering in After Effects.
            johnathan.box Level 1

Would the OS really be the core issue? I feel like it's been a combination of the updates to CC and the OS' the Apple have been launching. Maybe it's time to go back to Windows?

• 3. Re: Issues with rendering in After Effects.
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

Ae is buggy in Sierra right now and I would not expect for a bug fix update to be happening soon. I am running 13.8.1 on Windows 7 and the performance is much better than 13.7.1. I know some Mac users have had problems with previewing. especially with 4Kor 5K monitors. still you should specify your entire technical info so we can see what else can be done: FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

• 4. Re: Issues with rendering in After Effects.
                cindy8484

I had a miserable time trying to run After Effects in Sierra as well but it has nothing to do with your laptop - I installed it on my desktop.

I contacted Apple to see if there was anyway to go back without a TimeMachine backup from when I was running El Capitan and they said there wasn't.

However, I found this link with instructions on how to go back to running El Capitan (I asked Apple and they said it may work but they cannot verify it):

http://www.imore.com/how-downgrade-macos-sierra-back-os-x-el-capitan

I followed the steps but ran into issues in two places and was able to resolve them and reinstall my El Capitan.

Step 2: Creating a bootable drive

Enter the text below into the terminal instead of the Sierra path

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app --nointeraction

Step 4: Reinstall El Capitan

When attempting to reinstall El Capitan after deleting the only option I had when trying to reinstall OS was Sierra.

In order to see the bootable drive you created you need to:

- Restarted your computer

- Hold down the 'option' key when your hear the startup sound until your system loads

- Select your bootable drive and you'll be prompted to select where to save it to

- Select your Hard Drive

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________

Make sure you have everything saved!

All your presets and plugins - EVERYTHING

You will have to install all of your apps, setup all of your system preferences - everything stored on your hard drive WILL BE GONE and you will need to restore it from your external and cloud drives. (I lost my VC Designer Sound FX and MotionPulse so proceed with caution!)

Good luck