1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 3:10 PM by Roei Tzoref

A question about the typewriter text preset and rates.

ericz67354474

How do I make it so that I were to have 2 separate pieces of text in 2 different layers of differing length, the typewriter effect works at the same rate for both of them? As in, I want to make it so that no matter the amount of text a line has, it always "types" out X-characters-per frame. I know how to adjust the individual speed using the keyframes (text > animator > range selector > opacity), but I want to make it so it types at the same rate.

If it helps visualize this easier, I want to replicate the look of a classic RPG text scroll like in this video. No matter how many characters are in each text box, it still types out the same rate of characters (unless you decide to speed it up); the only thing I'm able to control is a general speed at which characters are printed out, but they never print out the same rate, they just print at a rate so that all the characters in the layer come out in x-amount of time.

Sorry if this is a hard thing to explain, but is anyone able to figure out how to do this easier? Or do I just have to manually adjust each keyframe so that it looks like it's printing out at a uniform speed?

• 1. Re: A question about the typewriter text preset and rates.
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

How do I make it so that I were to have 2 separate pieces of text in 2 different layers of differing length, the typewriter effect works at the same rate for both of them?

under advanced set the the units to "Index", set the start keyframes at the same place in time. your text will run per index number of characters and not percent of all the characters = same speed

index.gif

I have done thousands of transcripts in typewriter preset and many years ago we found the index is much better than percent for many reasons.

this is from the help files: Animating text in After Effects

Note:

You may find it easier to think in terms of numbers of characters than percentages for the Start and End properties of a range selector. To show these properties in numbers of characters (including spaces), choose Index for Units in the Advanced property group of a range selector.