2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2016 3:12 PM by michaelh22195389

AE not bottlenecking my system

michaelh22195389

Hi everyone!

I've had this issue with AE for years now - across systems and platforms: AE does not max out the hardware!

It is kind of frustrating to look at "Est. Remain: 8hr, 30min" in the Render Queue (as I am doing while I type this) - and at the same time, my system seems to bore itself to death.

What I mean by that is hopefully illustrated by the following screenshots:

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 22.43.39.png

On multithreaded workloads my CPU usually goes beyond 700% (Core i7 - 4 Cores - 8 Threads)

More is definitely possible which you can see in the next screenshot. (both taken at the same time - well, at least as quickly as possible after another)

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 22.43.25.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 22.44.29.png

There is still plenty of RAM. (AE is allowed to use it in settings)

Screen Shot 2016-09-29 at 22.44.49.png

My disk is not doing much either. (All SSDs)

Just to clarify: These were all taken while rendering.

Also, I'd like to mention, this is a MacBook Pro Retina mid 2012, running El Capitan. - I know. Not the fastest machine on earth, but I don't expect miracles from it, only to use what it has. My project contains no GPU intensive tasks, that would bottleneck. (no plugins or effects that are accelerated)

I even tried disabling mercury playback engine in the settings and nothing changed.

The problem I have is that I will have to wait for hours to finish this render, and at the same time AE doesn't make full use of the resources I have on my system.

I have also seen this on many other workstations. A 20-core dual xeon workstations with 64GB of RAM and the latest GeForce Titan X is just one example.

Can someone please explain to me what I am missing. Is it that AE is just not optimized to make use of modern hardware? Or am I (and many of my clients) doing something painfully wrong. It's been like this for years.

If I have ONE feature request for AE, it would be drastic performance improvement. Skip everything else.

If anyone knows what to do about this, please let me know. Any comments, insights would be very welcome.

Cheers,

Michael

• 1. Re: AE not bottlenecking my system
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

For now, here's a workaround to pick up speed -- Download AE CC 2014, and use it to render with Multiprocessing.  Unlike the current version that uses only one processor (because Multiprocessing was disabled), Multiprocessing assigns computer cores to work on different frames simultaneously.  CC 2015 project files will open in it.

You see, AE's a work in progress.  Or in transition.  That the nice way of putting it.

Calling a spade a spade, Adobe management has blown off issuing orders to re-work the basic code that makes the application run for...  oh, about 10-12 years.  Now the chickens have come home to roost, and they're scrambllng to catch up to the point where other applications were 3-4 years ago.  One of the casualties in this massive code re-write was multiprocessing,  Another was identifying & fixing bugs before release -- recently, bug fixes have created new bugs that never existed before.

Will multiprocessing ever work again?  Will it be replaced by another, speedier software scheme?  Will the software remain buggy? Stay tuned -- and enjoy paying a monthly fee for the privilege of doing so.

• 2. Re: AE not bottlenecking my system
            michaelh22195389 Level 1

Haha! WIP - yeah, nice way of putting it.

Yeah, I know of the workaround, but come on. Seriously?!

(I actually tried it on earlier projects. But at the time that didn't seem to help an awful lot either.)

I just don't understand why they invest workforce in new features at the same time while this is till a tremendous issue. I know, doesn't sound as good in marketing. ("The new features for AE CC 2016 are ... well, we fixed the old stuff! Yay!") Sure, but frankly, since most people have moved to the CC Versions and nobody needs to be convinced anymore to invest in the newer versions, they could actually focus on fixing stuff. Paying customers would be a lot happier, because they would actually get "more time" and "less stress" as new "features". (I am aware btw that the math in this is a bit crude )

I guess we'll have to see what time brings. ... Or switch to different tools that may arise in the meantime.