3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2016 2:36 AM by Roei Tzoref

Banding problem with Media Encoder

jan_NOW

Hi,

I have a Composition that as a background has a Gradient (is a PSD file).

I have to export this composition with Adobe Media Encorder, in a .mov file, codec video, resolution 2160 x 3840 pixels.

Everything is correct but not the gradient. I have an annoying Banding effect.

Things i tried:

1. Set the 16 bit (and also 32)

2. Put some "noises" (0.7%)

But nothing.

I also tried to create the gradient in After Effect, but alsways the same problem. Any tips?

Thanks in advice

• 1. Re: Banding problem with Media Encoder
          Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

16 bit and some grain (add grain) usually solves my banding issues. It could be a workflow issue that by setting too

many adjustments breaks the image eventually. Can we see the image? Does it look fine in Ae? What are your export settings exactly?

• 2. Re: Banding problem with Media Encoder
            jan_NOW Level 1

Hi Roei,

We managed to sharpen the Banding problem by setting the placed gradient (PSD/sRGB mode) to 16Bpc in Photoshop. We did the same to all layers in our AE composition. And we have the Grain effect in there ( the only layer effect we use).

We exported the composition from AE (.MOV / Video Codec) as we cannot render MP4 due to the composition size of 2160x3840px

Now that the gradient is perfectly sharp (see attached screenshot) the animated shapelayer movement gets blurry.

Obviously we need the whole composition sharp. The movement takes about 2 seconds so it cant be related to the speed of the shape layer.

Additional Information:

We exported this time directly from AE instead of going throught the render process via Adobe Encoder.

Bildschirmfoto 2016-09-30 um 10.33.58.png

• 3. Re: Banding problem with Media Encoder
              Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional

We managed to sharpen the Banding problem

So you solved the banding issue. Great! indeed moving to 16 bit in PS if it's a still is what you should do, then maintain that 16 bitness by doing this in Ae as well.

We exported the composition from AE (.MOV / Video Codec)

Mov - is not a Codec. what are you checking in format and format options?

as we cannot render MP4 due to the composition size of 2160x3840px

you can go as far as the limit allows for MP4 in AME which is 4K digital cinema 4096X2304 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the animated shapelayer movement gets blurry. Obviously we need the whole composition sharp. The movement takes about 2 seconds so it cant be related to the speed of the shape layer.

it appears you have motion blur for that layer. or maybe some other effect that causes the smearing in time an a blur. see that you have this unticked for that layer

other than that this could be effect related. show a screen shot of your full Ae interface so we see things in context