10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 12:57 AM by Monica Singh

Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...

PAWU Level 1

Obviously Windows 7, less obviously InDesign version 11.4.1.102 (as of my information the latest one).

The file resides on a network drive, there are linked InDesign files attached and the problem occurred systematically by updating the links.

I can remember having seen a thread, saying that working on a network drive could cause those troubles. I didn't have those in a prior version of InDesign.

The files where all created or modified using ID 5 at the time. This was the first time I opened in ID 2015 and as a habit, I save after the convert, so that I have a "clean" 2015 file.

I managed to get the file working, by carefully and step by step editing the linked files.

May the experts get out there crystal balls and tell me what could cause the problem. My IT started updating the colleagues to the latest ID version, and I want to be prepared, if it happens to them.

• 1. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
          PAWU Level 1

The problem still persists. As soon as I want updating the linked InDesign file, InDesign stops working. The former version of my collegue does not behave like this. That version loads the file without trouble.

• 3. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
            Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Lucien,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

For further investigation, please let me know :

• What is the Size of the document.
            • What are the steps you are doing before the crash.

Also, can you share the Crash Dump via dropbox @ monsingh@adobe.com    

To Create Crash dump,

• As soon InDesign crash, don't quit the program.
            • Go to task manager, right click the application and click on create dump
            • Once dump is created it will prompt the location where it is created.
            • Copy it and send.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team

• 4. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
              PAWU Level 1

Hi Monica,

There was no crash, only the "stopped working message".

The size of the document is rather small (8Mb). It is a 4 page-folder, quite an easy go. 2 Languages on different layers (Chinese and English). For all our folders we use the same "last page" scheme. To assure, that we include only the current information, we add those info as linked InDesign files. Upper part is a boiler plate with general information, lower part are logos and addresses.

Those files however include layers for Brazilian, Chinese, Russian, English, Italian etc.

The problem came, when I synchronized the linked Address file or when I focused to the page. The file was editable without any problems ("Edit Original" from the links panel).

We have 3 stations at our disposal, so my colleague tried and did not find a problem. Her version was still the 11.4.0.90 (out of memory). The third station had however been upgraded, so I tried that one too. No Problem.

So I thrashed my preferences. That seams to be a magic solution. "Unfortunately" I cannot reproduce the problem anymore. I will create a dump file to your attention as soon as the problem resurfaces.

• 5. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
                hhhexpos

I am having the same issue, same dialog box but I am on the most recent Windows 10.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything.

I also moved all documents out of the recovery folder in case it was a damaged document.

It seems the error occurs during the start up trackers.

• 6. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
                  alexr14195256

Hello, I'm having this exact same issue. I tried dumping preferences as instructed, but it didn't help. I'm against a deadline so could really use a solution.

Many thanks.

• 7. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
                    alexr14195256 Level 1

Forgot to mention my OS is Windows 10.

• 8. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
                      hhhexpos Level 1

There looks like there was a patch installed last night from CC. I am wondering if it is that.

• 9. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
                        PAWU Level 1

I had an InDesign file that was linked to my document. Loading or updating that one triggered the problem.

Now if trashing the preferences does not help, and you do not know where the problem is triggered, you need to delete pages in your document. If deleting a specific page helps, you can analyse that page and try to figure out what triggers the trouble. The best option will then be to find a work around for that specific element.

And I would suggest contacting Monica and offering the data Adobe needs to progress on this issue.

• 10. Re: Indesign CC 2015 has stopped working...
                          Monica Singh Adobe Employee

HI L.S./Alex,

Stopped Working is crash only.

First step is to try trashing your preferences and Cache using  InDesign preferences and support file locations

@ L.S. please send me your file and the steps to reproduce the crash. It would be great help.

Also, i would recommend you all to  Follow the steps to create the crash dump and send it to me using dropbox/drive.

Re-writing the Steps to create dump:

To Create Crash dump,

• As soon InDesign crashes, don't quit the program.
                          • Go to task manager, right click the application and click on create dump
                          • Once dump is created it will prompt the location where it is created.
                          • Copy it and send.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Monica Singh

InDesign Team