4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 7, 2016 2:12 PM by khaugen

LR Mobile Camera Focusing Distance on iPhone 7 Plus

davidh28696228 Level 1

Got the iPhone 7 Plus and the latest LR Mobile app.  I found pretty quickly that the native iPhone 7 Plus camera app's closest focusing distance is about 1/3 of the camera inside LR Mobile.  I can focus nicely to within about 4" on the native iPhone camera app.  However, when I go to the LR Mobile camera the closest to which it will focus is about a foot. 

Anyone else notice this oddity?  Is it a bug of some sort?

• 1. Re: LR Mobile Camera Focusing Distance on iPhone 7 Plus
          Charlie.D Adobe Employee

Hello

I have an iPhone 7+, and cannot the problem.  On my device, the minimum focal length is the same in both LRM and native camera apps.

Are you running the latest LRM app version 2.5.2 that's on the app store?

What iOS version specifically are you running?

Is it possible you had toggled on the telephoto optical zoom, or in some other way zoomed digitally by pinch gesture?

If you can still reproduce, could you share a couple sample images, one from from each app? 

Thanks,

Charlie

• 2. Re: LR Mobile Camera Focusing Distance on iPhone 7 Plus
            khaugen Level 1

I see the same problem. I've attached three pictures:

1) An image captured by Lightroom. Note how blurry it is.

2) A screen capture of the Lightroom app while capturing the photo. Note that the upper right-hand corner shows that the telephoto lens is selected.

3) An image captured by the native iPhone app.

Lightroom capture.jpg

Lightroom app screencap.jpg

Native.jpg

Adressing your questions:

Yes, the app version is 2.5.2.

The iOS version is 10.0.2.

I toggled the telephoto and set a focus reticle. I did not pinch or otherwise zoom.

• 3. Re: LR Mobile Camera Focusing Distance on iPhone 7 Plus
              Charlie.D Adobe Employee

I confirmed with a developer, this is a hardware limitation of the telephoto lens.  In the native camera, if you tap the 2x button and try to focus on something that's too close for the Tele lens, iOS actually switches to the wide lens and does a crop.  In LR Mobile if you choose the Tele lens, the app stays on that lens even if your subject is too close and out of focus.  Our advice is to avoid using the 7+'s Telephoto lens for close-ups.

Hope this explanation helps.

• 4. Re: LR Mobile Camera Focusing Distance on iPhone 7 Plus
                khaugen Level 1

Interesting! Thank you for the explanation.