1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2016 11:45 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom - Initial Drive Setup (Working off an external HDD)

leifs86082688

I am very new to Adobe Lightroom; it caught my eye recently as an ideal method to keep all my huge photo libraries organised and in one single place, easy to use and locate, as well as giving me great capabilities to edit, export, etc., etc. I'm running the trial at the moment, just to play around and I'm liking the software very much. Before I start getting into it too much, and importing my hundreds of GBs of photos into the trial version, I thought I should wait until I have purchased the full and perhaps reformatted my MacBook to start afresh with this new piece of kit.

My question is: can I run Lightroom from an external drive with ease i.e. have all my hundreds of GBs of photo files on the external drive along with LR folder if it takes up a lot of room, so each time I use it, I plug in the external drive, if required. Another quick question, does the folder that Lightroom use (save, projects, previews, etc.) take up a great deal of space or would it be best running my Lightroom off my MacBook's internal 120GB drive and my photo files on the external?

Also, are there many noticeable differences between Lightroom 6 and the new CC with monthly subscription version. As I really hate the idea of having to pay each month forever, would much rather pay a one off fee of £100.00.

Ultimate goal is to speed up my Mac and allow plenty of free space on my MacBooks's single internal HDD, as well as having all of my photos easily accessible for manipulating in one place (on my external 2TB HDD).

Any advise or recommendations to the initial setup of the directories, prior to me forking out the £8.00 p/m fee would be great appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

LS

• 1. Re: Lightroom - Initial Drive Setup (Working off an external HDD)
          dj_paige Level 9

I thought I should wait until I have purchased the full and perhaps reformatted my MacBook to start afresh with this new piece of kit.

That's really up to you. I think it's optional, there's no reason to wait until you have made the purchase, and similarly, there's not reason to reformat your MacBook pro just for Lightroom's benefit (you may have other reasons that might require a reformat...)

My question is: can I run Lightroom from an external drive with ease i.e. have all my hundreds of GBs of photo files on the external drive along with LR folder if it takes up a lot of room, so each time I use it, I plug in the external drive, if required.

Yes, keep the photos on the external HD. Don't put them on the internal first and then move them later.

Another quick question, does the folder that Lightroom use (save, projects, previews, etc.) take up a great deal of space or would it be best running my Lightroom off my MacBook's internal 120GB drive and my photo files on the external?

Lightroom's catalog and previews can take up a large amount of the 120GB on the internal drive, you can put them on an external drive as well, but there might be a performance loss when you do this.

Also, are there many noticeable differences between Lightroom 6 and the new CC with monthly subscription version. As I really hate the idea of having to pay each month forever, would much rather pay a one off fee of £100.00.

The noticeable differences (not a complete list)

• LR CC comes with Photoshop CC and Lightroom mobile; LR 6 does not have Photoshop CC or Lightroom Mobile.
          • LR CC has features that LR 6 does not: dehaze, black and white local adjustments, boundary warp, guided upright adjustments, ...
          1 person found this helpful